TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a whining noise coming from the engine bay that can only be described as a power steering pump low on fluid. Now here is what I did that caused the noise... I had a good amount of mud under the hood so while I was washing it, I rinsed the motor off (with a garden hose) and the alternator did have mud kinda caked around it, so I sprayed it too... I am thinking this is what is making the noise... I checked the power steering fluid level and it is full. It slightly sounds louder on the alternator side of the V6 too. As you rev the engine up it whines louder... maybe a bearing? I am thinking that some mud from the out side of the alternator got blasted into the alternator from me hosing it down. It did not make this sound when I left from off roading two days ago... not till I just sprayed the motor down. Anyone else had this problem or heard of this happening? I thought maybe when it dried out it would stop, but the noise is still there after a 30 mile drive. The battery light has not come on or any other lights to indicate the alternator is going out... seems to be charging fine, just the noise is really annoying, especially under acceleration. Anyone have any tips or tricks to get rid of this? Mud officially sucks!!!

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
did you check ac pulley?
mine started whinning then self destructed shortly after a mud bath

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
did you check ac pulley?
mine started whinning then self destructed shortly after a mud bath
yup... thats usually the first thing mud gets
just take the a/c belt off and start it up

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup... thats usually the first thing mud gets
just take the a/c belt off and start it up
Damn that sucks!!! I will try taking the A/C belt off tomorrow. Just out of curiosity how hard is it to get the pulley off (I have not really looked at it). Do you have to use a pulley puller to get it off? How much do they usually run? Thanks for your input guys!!!

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Damn that sucks!!! I will try taking the A/C belt off tomorrow. Just out of curiosity how hard is it to get the pulley off (I have not really looked at it). Do you have to use a pulley puller to get it off? How much do they usually run? Thanks for your input guys!!!
pulley is 44$
you only need two wrenches to take it off

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pulley is 44$
you only need two wrenches to take it off
I greatly appreciate it! I will let you know what the verdict is tomorrow. Thanks again!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts