TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone..i just purchased a white 02 tacoma double cab w/TRD yesterday and im looking to get some colormatched fender flares , chrome mirrors, and some colormatched door handle assemblies with the chrome handle.

Does anyone have some or know where i can find some?

also does anyone know approximately how much it would run to have the stock flares painted?

thanks for your help!

·
Registered
764 Posts
just rattle can the ones you have. the process is simple and easier than buying all of this stuff off someone else. minus all of the chrome peices.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Check out custom tacos. they may have more info for you. We'll be able to help you with off road mods.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm how long does the rattle can job last on them things? I would think it would flake right off in a matter of months?

has anyone ever powdercoated the flares?

·
Registered
764 Posts
if you prep them right (sanding, adhesion promoter, primer, and then rattle can) they should last for a long time. it's all in the process.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah, its all in the prep work. Make sure you sand and clean them properly before paint. I know locally I can order matched automotive grade paint in a 16oz spraycan for 30 bucks and a can of clear is 25. Usually covers a 4x4 ft area so two cans should cover the flares and other lil parts you want done. I just used it when I replaced a friends side mirror on her '06 VW jetta and it came out very very well. Once I color sand it to get rid of a bit of orange peel it will look original.

Also, you cannot powdercoat plastic. The metal parts need to be grounded so the positively charged ions of powder will adhear to the part before it is baked on the part.

Hope this helps.

Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Toytrk85
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing