1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
246 Posts
SWEET pics!!! Very nice job Jerry - looks like you had a really fun trip :xrocker:

So I am curious - what are the ruins shown in pic 27? You guys look great in that pic. I can tell your arm is stretched to the max though - LOL! And in pic 29, a bunch of gas cans show up. Did you bring those with you? I was just curious because they didn't show up in the previous pics. I thought you had an aux. fuel tank (?) How did the gas usage end up working out for you? How much did you need between gas stations?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BajaTaco said:
SWEET pics!!! Very nice job Jerry - looks like you had a really fun trip :xrocker:

So I am curious - what are the ruins shown in pic 27? You guys look great in that pic. I can tell your arm is stretched to the max though - LOL! And in pic 29, a bunch of gas cans show up. Did you bring those with you? I was just curious because they didn't show up in the previous pics. I thought you had an aux. fuel tank (?) How did the gas usage end up working out for you? How much did you need between gas stations?
thanks chris! we had an awesome time. have you done white rim yet? i know scott at expeditions west has done it. if you havent, that place is definitely worth the drive. we are actually thinking about going to utah again this spring. winter was a BIT cold camping.

1. those ruins were in the mesa verde national park. that was the highlight of the park, there really was not much else to see since everything inside was closed for the winter. i think there is actually a trail that leads closer to the ruins but it is closed in the winter.

2. as for the gas cans, we actually bought them bc they are not the carb cans (the ones with the self venting mechanism) and only $4.97 at walmart, whereas the carb ones here are 14.97. we did use my aux gas tank. we really didnt need the extra gas for white rim since the trail is about 100 miles and it takes 3/4 of a tank. but i wanted it since we went alone and if something happened, we would at least not freeze to death.

we were planning to hit up baja right after but unfortunately, my ghetto rear driver's side shock mount broke off at the end of the utah trip. i had to take a few days to fix it and the delay made the trip impossible.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Jerry, no - I haven't done White Rim yet. I was super close to going when Soctt went, but at the last minute some things changed with work. It is definitely on my list though.

Too bad u didn't get to go to Baja. Oh well, next time!

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
I was under the impression that pets were not allowed on the White Rim trail. We did parts of it last October to the anual TTORA Moab run and definitely want to do the whole trail, but have been thinking twice as I would want to bring my dogs.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4xClover said:
I was under the impression that pets were not allowed on the White Rim trail. We did parts of it last October to the anual TTORA Moab run and definitely want to do the whole trail, but have been thinking twice as I would want to bring my dogs.
yea, i think dogs are not allowed on the trail. if you do the trail in spring, or whenever it's busier, that is probably enforced. but we didn't see anyone else on the trail the entire time. we just kept the dogs near our camp and on the trail as much as possible and also picking up their poop. i realized on this trip that utah is very very dog unfriendly. almost all of the national parks did not allow any dogs on their trails. when we did arches, we had to leave them at the truck.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
expeditionswest said:
Hey Jerry!

Sweet pics :D

That is great that you made that trip. What a beautiful place. I had such a great time on my trek through there

Did you tent camp, sleep in the shell? Just curious. I need to come up with a good solution for that problem :rolleyes:
hey scott,
yea, your webpage and my dad's insistence is what made me do the trip. we ended up tent camping with thermarests and a coleman blackcat heater. still very cold though since we dont have the appropriate sleeping bags. the shell is really too much of a pain to sleep in for me since i have that fuel tank/tool box combo and dog smell in it. as a result, the dogs sleep in the shell.

i was seriously considering building a lumber rack-type of structure around my shell and fabricating a rooftop tent with plywood and a 5x7 tent. but the added weight, as well as the potential increased effects of strong winds killed the idea. the only other options i can see are one of those pop-cabovers or utility trailers, both which have serious disadvantages.

i guess i'm just resigned to the fact that our tacomas can only handle so much. maybe next time i'll get an '05+ doublecab long bed and take care of that problem!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DriftinCO said:
how long were you on White RiM?
2 full days and 1 night. we were planning 2 nights but it was way too cold to camp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts