TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking into getting a 4Runner, but I've always like the Tacoma's. I'm looking at the access cab or double cab w/short bed (which I think are the same length). Do you guys sometimes wish you had more room for passengers or other things? (And I don't mean things you can huck in the bed.) I don't have a family, and rarely carry more than one passenger at a time. I think the Access cab will be a better buy, but maybe the double cab will be a safer bet. Any access cab guys now wish you would've opted for a double cab?

Also, how is your daily commute? I go about 100 miles per day, and need something relatively comfortable.

I tried to search for some similar thread, but came up with nothing.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I drive about that much a day and I love my access cab, because I never have to sit in the back. But my buddies hate it because its pretty cramped back there. So if you dont carry that much that you cant throw in the bed or drive alot of people around I would think the acesss would be fine for you. If you dont use the bed very much you would be better off getting double cab short bed, for your friends sake. Hope this helps?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I had a '97 extra cab for 5 years, the room was great. Now driving an '05 Tac DC SB. W/3 kids it is great. We usually take the Taco for all family stuff. I would drive both trucks to see which you like. I will say that I felt the visibility in the access cab is probably better than the DC..My daily commute is nothing compared to yours but I think the Taco seats are great. Round trip to Utah-2500miles, never felt sore like some of the other cars I have had...
For me it is more comfortable to drive than my wife's '05 Camry.
Sounds like for your current situation than the Access cab would be a wiser purchase but if a family is in the near future i would opt for the DC.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys.

ocdropzone - Did the bigger size of your '05 vs '97 take a bit of getting used to? How is it around town? I was going to buy my friend's Tundra double cab, but it is just too big for me around town. My '98 4Runner was a good size, which is about the size of your '97 Tacoma. The new Tacoma's are a bit bigger, aren't they?

·
Registered
219 Posts
honestly, i think taco seats are the most uncomfortable ever. my commute when i first got my truck was 50 miles to and from work. within the first week, i was already contemplating swapping out the seats because they hurt my back so much. well eventually i never did and 2 years later i'm extremely happy, and pain free. as far as the dc and access cab are concerned, i am not a big fan of the a 4 door small truck and its ugly, so i bought the ext cab. to avoid having to put people in the back, i had a custom sub box made for 2 10's, so that sits in the back rather than my dumbass friends, haha.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
honestly, i think taco seats are the most uncomfortable ever. my commute when i first got my truck was 50 miles to and from work. within the first week, i was already contemplating swapping out the seats because they hurt my back so much. well eventually i never did and 2 years later i'm extremely happy, and pain free. as far as the dc and access cab are concerned, i am not a big fan of the a 4 door small truck and its ugly, so i bought the ext cab. to avoid having to put people in the back, i had a custom sub box made for 2 10's, so that sits in the back rather than my dumbass friends, haha.
I have no idea how the pre 05 seats feel but my 05+ sport seats are some of the most comfortable seats i have ever sat in.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I went from a turbo diesel excursion 4X to the DC SB taco. I thought it was going to take a lot of getting used to, but it was fine. IMO I would never get rid of a full back seat, but then again, I like being able to haul friends around in comfort and it's good when it starts raining, cause there's enough room to put stuff back there. I'm 6 foot 2, 240ish and I fit ok and the truck is pretty comfortable, given my size. My only issue is the dash is a bit too close to my knees and my leg is always resting on the console. Also, it's great having a bed to haul stuff in. Just be prepared for the phone calls when your buddies are moving. :rolleyes: :2cents:

·
Registered
773 Posts
I daily drive my 03' 4Runner (4.7) over 100mi round trip. It's a comfy ride but it's a tad on the thirsty side. I would imagine the Tacoma is the same way. I probably should buy a commuter car but I hate cars. Not to mention the cost of a car would buy my gas for about 4 years.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I daily drive my 03' 4Runner (4.7) over 100mi round trip. It's a comfy ride but it's a tad on the thirsty side. I would imagine the Tacoma is the same way. I probably should buy a commuter car but I hate cars. Not to mention the cost of a car would buy my gas for about 4 years.
The runner is heavier than the Tacoma, and that V8 isn't available in the Tacoma, so your gas mileage issues are not going to compare to the Tacoma.

My Access cab gets 18 or better.

I bought the access cab because I didn't want to look like a "Soccer Dad". The family has grown up and has their own cars.

I bought this truck for ME.

I commute about 60 miles in it every day and it's very comfortable.

I have the leather upgrade in mine, so there's the possibility that those liquicell seat covers are more comfortable than the stockers, but I doubt that it's much of a difference.

The cool thing about the TRD Sport is the way that it manages to be a four wheel drive truck and do the offroading thing, but it's tire and wheel choices make it handle very well indeed on pavement.

It's a super truck- it doesn't matter where you go or what you are doing. The Tacoma does it with authority and style.

I love my truck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had an '05 ext cab for some time and for me....the double cab was easier to use for work. I like being able to just open another door to throw stuff in the back. Plus if you do need that extra space, you have it. As for the looks....I was leary about how they looked until I started adding stuff. Now it looks bad azz. The DC is a sweet truck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The only time I wish I'd gotten a double cab is when I'm trying to carry 2 or 3 passengers. But like has already been said, I don't have to sit in the back so it's not a big deal. The extra cab is plenty of room for a single guy and his junk, plus there is more bed space for camping/moving/furniture, etc. I pretty much just keep alot of my camping/fishing stuff in the back seat and if there is a passenger in the back, too bad, they can move it :)

I just started a new job last week and I have to commute 70 miles a day, which I'm not too stoked about. Hopefully the roomates and I will be moving within a couple months and cut the commute in half. I'm kind of worried about putting those kind of miles on my truck and don't like having to fill up my tank every 3 or 4 days. But the truck is comfy for the drive and nimble in traffic. '01 Tacoma has small blind spots and is very easy to see through and cruise through traffic, if that's a concern for ya.

I guess my point is my truck is great for daily driving. But if I knew I'd be doing this commute for an extended period of time (again, hoping that a move is in the somewhat near future) I'd get a second beater car that got 40 mpg and that I didn't care about racking up the miles. :2cents:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went with the access cab for my new truck. I switched from a jeep to the taco, and the backseats in my accesscab are much more user-friendly than the ones that I eventually removed from the jeep. Friends that have ridden back there have said they're actually pretty comfortable, as long as it's just around town. I don't regret getting the double cab, because I value having a 6 foot bed, and the long bed double cabs were just a little to long for me. If anything I sometimes wish I had gotten a regular cab, but then the reality of the v6 and extra storage kicks in and I'm happy with my access cab. Just seems to be the best of both worlds to me.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, guys. I currently have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I'm just waiting for the day that it blows up. Thinking back, I really haven't used the back of the Jeep too much, except for hauling my skis, or my mountain bike--which will be a TON better in a truck, since I don't have to clean off the bikes or skis or whatever I'm carrying.

I think I will go for an Access Cab. It will cost less and I'll still have enough room to store things inside, if needs be. I was wondering about the depreciation differences between the access and double cab, but looking at the last gen Tacoma's, there is hardly any difference.

I will also probably go with the Off Road package for the locking diff's and tires. Any options you guys wish you would have gotten, or have got and regret?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought the DC for the extra interior space and the SB because I didn't want a long ass truck and the DC LB looks kinda ugly. My last two trucks were regular cabs and I hated the lack of interior storage space.

Any options you guys wish you would have gotten, or have got and regret?
I went with the Sport as I wanted a limited slip diff more than I wanted a locking diff..... and although it's not currently a regret, I'm not looking forward to the cost of replacing the rubber on the 17in rims.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I have a 03 runner with a 4.0 and a 07 DC with a 4.0. The 4runner is better on gas on the fwy and in town. Both are VERY comfortable, but the runner is a little more comfortable and roomy in the back seat. The runner is the wifes and the truck is mine. I need a place to put dead animals, firewood, etc... The runner is the main road trip machine since its more efficient, handles better (17's), and all the crap is covered. The taco is my DD and the family camping/hunting truck. They are both great rigs, and each has their place for my family.

The DC is the only option to get if you have kids, or plan to in the near future. The back seat of the access cab isnt approved for kid seats.

I love the OR package and the locker, as well as the TRAC package(VSC, TRAC, A-TRAC, DAC, Auto LSD...etc), its pretty rare but REALLY nice. I haven't seen any other with it since I got mine and have been looking. I cant even find it in the brochures for the SE region (In Alabama right now for training)... The DC has a decent amount of room. I am 6'4 and when I am driving there isnt much room behind me, thou I can slide foreword to the brink of comfortably driving and a normal person fits behind me. The pass side has plenty of room.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Considering how big a modern child seat is I don't think the majority them will even fit in the back if you wanted them to.
Oh heck no... it makes my double cab look TINY!!! I was really regretting my truck buy, but my daughter is also rear facing, which takes up more room... but wow they shrink the crap out of my back seat... they even effect adults sitting next to the kid seat. I then put the seat in my dads quad cab cummins, it even takes up a ton of room there.. so I didnt feel so bad, I at least can put adults beside my daughter in my taco.. and i bought it for my kids.. so it all works out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I drive mine about 200 miles every day on some pretty bad roads in East TN and East KY. I've got the 2007 access cab and don't wish I had a double cab. I don't like having room for a bunch of extra people because everyone will say "oh well you've got room you can drive us." The access cab is convenient for throwing stuff back there you dont want it to get wet. I really would have been fine with not having seats at all back there.

I went from a 01 f-150 regular cab so I'm used to not having a back seat. If I wanted a four door I'd of went with an SUV instead of the double cab tacoma. I'm probably more apt to haul stuff in the bed than a bunch of people so it works for me. If I didn't need 4wd and wanted a people mover I'd of gotten a van or a passenger car.

I think the access cab is a good middle of the road choice between virtually no extra room in the cab and having an SUV with a tail.

If you've got a big family and this is going to be your only vehicle I'd get a double cab or something with even more room. If it's just you and your girlfriend/wife or you've already got the "family mobile" and need a commuter/light work truck I'd say single cab or access cab.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Thanks, guys.

ocdropzone - Did the bigger size of your '05 vs '97 take a bit of getting used to? How is it around town? I was going to buy my friend's Tundra double cab, but it is just too big for me around town. My '98 4Runner was a good size, which is about the size of your '97 Tacoma. The new Tacoma's are a bit bigger, aren't they?
The new Taco's are definitely a few inches wider but it would only take you a little while to make the transition..The Tundy would definitely be a change.
I just bought an '81 for a trail rig and that is a big change from the '05..I can fit between trees now:rolleyes:
Sounds like the Access Cab will be a great choice for you. I really like having the E-locker on my truck, it has helped several times...
Good luck and post a picture of your new Toy when you get it...Try Photobucket.com works great and is free

·
Registered
113 Posts
I also have an 06 Access Cab with approximately 15K miles on it. I drive 120 miles to and from work, 5 days a week. I am 5'9" tall and 180 lbs, so I feel that these seats fit my rump comfortably. No soreness whatsoever. I love being able to just throw stuff back there on a whim. I keep the back seats folded with a towel draped over the top to store my tools until I can purchase my truck box. I'm not a big fan of 4-door trucks anyway.....

1 - 20 of 56 Posts