TTORA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been mulling over a solution to mounting my spare tire, and I think I would like something off the bedrails. I have never personally seen anyone hang a carrier on the rails, although the common reply is "it's too heavy", or "the bedsides are too weak", but I'd like proof, not conjecture.

Who uses a bed rail mounted tire carrier (like the one below)? How long has it been used? Any damage? Do you wheel? Long bed or short bed?

I am thinking of something like this:

Frame has been reinforced, the short box should be stronger than the long box, but it would need to rise up about a foot from the top of the bedside to preserve access to the cooler, CO2, water, and gear.

Figuring the tire weighs about 75#, and the bar would weigh another 40-50#, would this be too much?

I think that the key may be how the tube is welded to the angle- if the tube is more on top, the weight would be pushing down, whereas if the tube was welded to the side of the angle, the force would be out. Am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Chris,

Jester (Josh from Missouri) has one identical to that built by CBI. you might contact him for personal opinions! I also got a "swing arm" tire carrier from CBI that holds my 37's iroks nice and secure. But the bed bar only holds part of the weight, not all of it. so that would not help you much!

I would think with the type you are looking at, the base of the carrier, being built out of 4 pieces ( or 2 pieces depending on design) of angle iron would distribute the weight nicely Unless the carrier is built with a very tight "tolerance" you should not encounter any bed bulge from the carrier itself.

What size spare are you carrying? I know my 37" fits fine with the style I have, and if CBI makes the carrier, it should fit an equally sized tire with no problem, Steve builds some stout products. But I figure you are going with your local vendor aren't you? which also makes equally stout products as well.

If you want to see my tire carrier, just let me know. I took some photos for Steve that I could forward to you as well.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
32"-33" should be the largest. I'd prefer to have Jason demello build it, I'm waiting to hear his opinion as well.

I am also concerned with the possibility of the tailgate not latching well or coming loose if it got jarred... should the bed bow out. I am thinking, however, that properly secured, the bed shouldn't bow, because the carrier would tie it together, therefore either the carrier would have to spread (unlikely) or the bed would bow below the frame rail (possible?).

The short box is stronger, but I really want to know who has actually had real experience with loads on the rail.

I'd like to see the pics you have.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I think I have your email address but I need to double check. might want to pm it to me again!

Josh, like I said has that "style" on his double cab so the bed is the short box as you mentioned.

No the box would not Bow out as long as you do not try to make the fit real snug, know what I mean? I am having a hard time explaining. Something like if the box is 4.25' across, you don't want to make the span of the carrier 4.50" across. (I think I made it clear now) But you are right, you would be tieing each side together to add strength, almost like a "top crossmember". If the carrier is properly measured, you would not have any bed bow and the tail gate should not be effected in any form or fashion.

For that size tire you are planning, you should not have any issues with weight.

in regards to your tail gate…are you planning on keeping the carrier at a height lower than the tail gate? the design you have displayed, with the tire well above the gate, you should be fine. Unless your method of securing the tire is not sound. But you would have a problem with any type of design if you do not properly anchor the tire to the carrier. (sorry, I just re read your post and realized you were not talking about the tire hitting the gate, but I think what I said was important enough to leave in my reply.

I'll check my email addresses and see what I can do about getting you those images.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought about that Anthony, but my bed space is pretty tight as it is, and my CO2 is mounted in a postion so that my gear oil stores behind it, between it and the bed side. I'm afraid I would loose to much room.

My puzzle barely fits together back there as it is. :)

That would be a good backup plan if this won't work.

I think the way the support mounts to the angle has some bearing on the problem.

I think that somewhere between option A & B would be the best solution, but I am not an engineer by any stretch.... don't know if it would really matter at all.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I thought about that Anthony, but my bed space is pretty tight as it is, and my CO2 is mounted in a postion so that my gear oil stores behind it, between it and the bed side. I'm afraid I would loose to much room.

I think that somewhere between option A & B would be the best solution, but I am not an engineer by any stretch.... don't know if it would really matter at all.
i see. take a pic of your current bed setup for us and demello to work with. option b looks good but i will see what else i can come up with. i can draw it up for you in 3d mechanical desktop but i will have to charge you the usual 20/hr. engineering time. :p

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
option b looks good but i will see what else i can come up with. i can do it up for you in 3d mechanical desktop but i will have to charge you the usual 20/hr. engineering time. :p
How much is that in High Life? :)

I am verrryyy space limited. About half my trips are expedition style (camping along the trail instead of from a base camp), so with only half of a d-cab bed, I need to maximize use of every square inch of real estate I have left back there! When I do, that middle part is full.

Bear sent me a link to this: http://rides.webshots.com/album/556...ides/cars&track_action=/ViewActions/FullAlbum

I remember seeing it when he posted, but he has a wide bedrail and full-length supports to spread the load. Considering it's a composite bed though, it makes me optimistic. Let me know what you come up with, and hopefully I'll get some more input over the weekend.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Can you mount it any lower? The first picture you showed had the tire at about the height of the bed rails. When you move it up more, you completely block your rear view.
good catch. as you can see from the pic of his bed fully loaded with gear, it would have to be high enough to still open the cooler without taking it out. at least thats how he would like it. but i think at that height it will put it right in his rear view like you said. to do both you would have to put the bottom of the carrier about flush with the roofline.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I had though about that. I need a little room under there because I am in & out of the cooler all the time, as needing easy access the CO2 & water jugs.

I don't know if it will block it too bad, I was hoping it might even be better than the tire level with the bedsides. As it is on the tool box (pretty level with the bedsides), I can't hardly see shit, so I hoped that raising it a little would give me room to peek through from underneath.

I'm just gonna have to mock it up I guess. I have an old Rav4 tire cover that will work for that.

My main concern was the bedsides, but I am pretty optimisitc at this point. Mostly I just wanted to hear from somebody that actully bowed their bedsides.

Here's your dots... :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not that it's really the same thing, but I had a ladder rack (system one) mounted on the bedsides with side boxes mounted on the rack rails, easily had 350+lbs on it, never had a problem. The rails for the rack ran the length of the bed though, so it's not quite the same, but either way, it didn't deform the bed rails one bit.

Thule makes a rack that clamps to the bed rails, it's height adjustable and you'd be able to use it for more than just a spare,little pricey though...

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=75&sku=421

·
Registered
473 Posts
yeah

I didn't read many of the posts, but to answer your original question, yes, I've used just the bed rails for support. I made a kayak rack (read "lumber rack) out of some 1.25 inch square tube and attached it to the four corners of my x-cab bed. Overall weight with the kayak was ~100 lbs. I would run 60-70 mph down the beach with it (over whoops) , which = lots more stress than the 100 lbs alone. I also had angle iron around the bedsides like you appear to have. 3 bolts on each side, with the outer 4 holding the angle iron and the rack. Here's a picture:

The only real difference is that my bars were coming from the extreme corners where everything is the strongest, yours will be coming from closer to the center, but as long as you have angle iron on the bedsides, you shouldn't run into any problems.
-Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts