TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from getting a dyno tune. I'm running a second gen supercharger on a '98 3.4L V6 with the URD fuel mods and the K&N filter kit with the cone filter. No exhaust mods yet.

Curious what numbers everyone else has been getting. I ran at 220hp w/240#s torque. Fuel air fuel ratio was running about 11 - 12. I was able to control the air fuel ratio pretty well with adjusting the FTC till about 3800 rpms. Then for some reason it wanted to lean out a little and I could not get it to level out at the end of the rpm range. My mechanic thought that it was not getting enough fuel towards the end. Not sure why with the higher flow injectors and fuel pump. Could the mass air flow sensor not be reading correctly at the higher rpms with SC?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,294 Posts
most dyno's i've seen w/ SC and URD were around the 220whp range, saw one that was pushing 248whp though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
i ran 248 rwhp with the same setup as you except for 9Lbs of boost, i leaned out toward 4800rpm, never could get enough fuel in it after that rpm range, do you have a pic of your dyno and AFR?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
jtmiyake said:
Just got back from getting a dyno tune. I'm running a second gen supercharger on a '98 3.4L V6 with the URD fuel mods and the K&N filter kit with the cone filter. No exhaust mods yet.

Curious what numbers everyone else has been getting. I ran at 220hp w/240#s torque. Fuel air fuel ratio was running about 11 - 12. I was able to control the air fuel ratio pretty well with adjusting the FTC till about 3800 rpms. Then for some reason it wanted to lean out a little and I could not get it to level out at the end of the rpm range. My mechanic thought that it was not getting enough fuel towards the end. Not sure why with the higher flow injectors and fuel pump. Could the mass air flow sensor not be reading correctly at the higher rpms with SC?
Can you post your dyno chart. I'm more interested in your AFR curve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all,

I'll get the air/fuel ratio curve up shortly or post to webshots as it does not look like I can post a picture bigger than 70x70 in here. Out of town and not on my home pc so it will be a few days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
mine were 212 hp with an auto, and urd goodies only. My buddy has an 01 5spd with urd, water injection, headers, exhaust, flex a lite fan and a heavy foot and he pulled out 242 hp with 268ft-lbs torque. This was with the ftc guys in costa mesa. and his seemed to lean out above 4800 no matter what they did to the ftc. although he did change the fuel filter at the dyno shop and hp increased 9hp. dork had never changed it in 40k miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Here's my post I copied from Delphi:

As you know I posted my dyno results of my 2000 V6 4x4 5sp with s/c and URD back in August. The pulls today are done with my Magnaflow cat-back without any additional tuning. Today and last time, a total of 3 pulls was done from 2100-5100rpm. Pull #3 on both dates are done with the deck plate CLOSED. Here are the results:

Gross numbers:
10/8/04 228.2rwhp/250.9rwtq s/c, URD, Magnaflow cat back
8/13/04 222.0rwhp/242.8rwtq s/c, URD
6.2rwhp/8.1rwtq increase

Corrected numbers 10/8/04:
absolute baro press=30.32 in.Hg., vapor press=.15 in.Hg., intake temp=85.1, corr factor=.97 SAE

pull #1: [email protected], A/F: 12.6, [email protected], A/F: 11.3
pull #2: [email protected], A/F: 12.7, [email protected]&4500, A/F: 11.2&11.4
pull #3: [email protected], A/F: 12.0, [email protected], A/F: 11.1
deckplate closed: 11.7rwhp/10.9rwtq loss

Corrected numbers 8/13/04:
absolute baro press=29.97 in.Hg., vapor press=.35 in.Hg., intake temp=89.1, corr factor=1.00 SAE

pull #1: [email protected]&5000, A/F: 12.4&12.4, [email protected], A/F: 12.1
pull #2: [email protected], A/F: 12.4, [email protected], A/F: 12.0
pull #3: [email protected], A/F: 12.2, [email protected], A/F: 11.8
deckplate closed: 7.0rwhp/7.0rwtq loss

For some reason, the engine is running richer. The only thing that's changed is the cat back. The cat back has the biggest gains above 3800 rpm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks all for your posts on the dyne pulls. Took me a while to get it scanned but here is a link for what we left mine at. We tuned the afr to 12.

You'll see on my scan where the afr starts to drop after 3800 rpms. This the area were we could not get this to change and seemed to run out of fuel. Maybe I need to change my fuel filter (only have 55,000 miles).

http://people.delphiforums.com/JTMIYAKE1/Pictures/dyno2.jpg

Here is dumb question. How much of an effect does tire size have rwhp? I'm guessing you loose some with bigger tires. Or am I being stupid?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
You definitely lose power due to the weight of the bigger. I noticed it going from the GSA's to the At Ko's and they were the same size. (31")
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
My truck Dynoed between 210 to 220 RWHP -- I posted my DYNO chart on another forum and someone said I was running a little rich -- is this correct...??? He said the ideal mix should be around 13.5 to 14.7:1

Here's my chart...

 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
In run 6 you're a little rich in the mid range. I'd try leaning it out to 12.5 or 12.8:1 and see if there are any gains. In the second pull, you're running lean. Were you even flooring the pedal on run 2?

14.7 is ideal for catalytic converter operation but not necessarily for power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Runs 2 & 6 are before & after results... Runs 2 was before the URD fuel upgrade was done-- Run 6 was the results after the install... as you can see there was a big difference... also proving that the TRD supercharger without fuel mods does in fact run lean as most of us already know... I'll need to go have it fine tuned again at the dyno...since it is alittle rich right now... I don't wanna destroy my cat... Thanks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Just play around with the A/F ratio a little bit. I wouldn't make any large changes. It looks good except try subtracting some fuel from 3.5k to 5.0, try and bring the A/F to 12.5 or 12.8:1 and see what happens. You could see as much as 15 more hp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Just test drove a 2001 with the s/c and can understand why you go to the trouble to install these things, unfortunately my budget won't allow one.

Just curious, what rear wheel hp would you expect from a non s/c V6?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
ByrdDog20 said:
Just test drove a 2001 with the s/c and can understand why you go to the trouble to install these things, unfortunately my budget won't allow one.

Just curious, what rear wheel hp would you expect from a non s/c V6?
Normally with the 4X4 manual it's about 142-147 stock at the rear wheels. The 2WD do a little better, around 155 to 160 stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
NoliWan said:
My truck Dynoed between 210 to 220 RWHP -- I posted my DYNO chart on another forum and someone said I was running a little rich -- is this correct...??? He said the ideal mix should be around 13.5 to 14.7:1

Here's my chart...

Hey Mr. Highlighted Red everything TRD[/SIZE] just playing.

You are running a little rich. Mid 12's is where you should be. Looks like a typical untuned open loop with URD kit.

I called dynospot racing. Those guys were idoits. I asked them if they could help me tune my open loop but they were too good to take my money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Super Doody said:
Hey Mr. Highlighted Red everything TRD[/SIZE] just playing.

You are running a little rich. Mid 12's is where you should be. Looks like a typical untuned open loop with URD kit.

I called dynospot racing. Those guys were idoits. I asked them if they could help me tune my open loop but they were too good to take my money.


Jim,

Hahaha-- The red TRD thing is a bit showy huh...??? that's cuz I'm a TRD freak-- practically every performance part TRD makes I put on my Rig...

The guys at dynospot racing were very helpful when I had my tune there--- I don't know why you had a bad time with them-- they were always willing to help and do anything that I requested...They were the ones that actually installed the URD kit for me & did an excellent job...

I do need to go back and fine tune the open loop for the rich A/F mix...I'm still all new to this tuning thing so I'm learning by trial & errors..Forums like this one help me greatly understand more of the process...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
NoliWan said:
Jim,

Hahaha-- The red TRD thing is a bit showy huh...??? that's cuz I'm a TRD freak-- practically every performance part TRD makes I put on my Rig...

The guys at dynospot racing were very helpful when I had my tune there--- I don't know why you had a bad time with them-- they were always willing to help and do anything that I requested...They were the ones that actually installed the URD kit for me & did an excellent job...

I do need to go back and fine tune the open loop for the rich A/F mix...I'm still all new to this tuning thing so I'm learning by trial & errors..Forums like this one help me greatly understand more of the process...
Thats great they were so helpful. A word of advice...you should really learn to tune yourself. It will save you a lot trouble and money. Its not that hard just time comsuming. You'll learn about how ECU will relearn factory setting so you have work with them. Any adjustments you make have to put some miles in before you really know if its working or not. Good luck. BTW how much did you they charge you for installing the fuel kit?
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
10 Participants
Super Doody
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing
Top