TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off a very disturbing call with my manager involving moving to Dubuque. Long run, good career move (possibly/more than likely if I want to stay employed, it's time to pack up)... but would really fuck things up for me on the personal side.

So, who knows anything about this place?

·
Registered
438 Posts
How do you feel about corn? :D

In all seriousness, I don't know anything about Dubuque specifically but as to the general part of the country the winter is probably colder, the summer hotter and WAY more humid than here :mad: , and generally it's REALLY flat. Although being on the Mississippi, there might be some decent rolling hills in the area, but I don't know if that's the case near the Mississippi the way it is around the Missiouri.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
It's Iowa...can't be good...

Not too long ago you were saying that it would be a good career move for you to tell IBM where to shove it. I think that's your best option at this point.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I'm not seeing the Iowa TTORA chapter in the drop-down menu... Sooo, I suppose you would be the chapter prez?!

Work to live, not live to work... Dunno, I'll be job hunting next spring, so can't talk... A pro and con list is in your future...

You'd be near the UP, which I hear is cool, and close to the Canadian border. Minneapolis/St Paul is a cool city (my mother lives there)

Dubuque Weather
http://countrystudies.us/united-states/weather/iowa/dubuque.htm

Community Calendar
http://www.dubuquechamber.com/calendar/community.cfm

DCoC:
"If you're considering a move to Dubuque, you'll find a wonderful sense of progressive, 'on-the-move' attitudes, blended with serene, natural beauty and historical, Victorian charm. As the seventh largest city in the state of Iowa, Dubuque boasts small-town warmth and friendliness, freedom from the hassles of traffic, commuting, and even more importantly, crime.

Settled in 1788 by French Canadian fur trader and early entrepreneur Julien Dubuque, this has been a vibrant river town since the early 1800s. Today, Dubuque, is a thriving city with a population of nearly 62,000 people and a county population of nearly 90,000.

Dubuque is a wonderful place to live, whether you're young and single, married with kids, or retired and relaxing. Look further in this section for specific information about our city and county governments, interesting facts about the area, and how to get connected once you make the choice to settle here."

·
Registered
431 Posts
I went through there once, but it was like one or two in the morning on my way to visit someone in Madison. That side of Iowa is fairly hilly, but you're talking rolling hills not foothills. The way more humid part is definitely right though. It's not a bad part of the country, and there are worse places to live, but...

I've been looking for coming up on a year now, and I've seen opportunities all across the country and outside it. In fact I got an email about a position in Hong Kong this morning. But I knew from the first time I came here when I was like 8 or something that Colorado is where I wanted to live, and I can't bring myself to leave. I would and have considered nearby or similar areas (western Montanna or Wyoming, Idaho, Utah), but for me the only way I could do better than the front range is figuring out a way to actually be up in the mountains.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
You know those "rolling waves of grain" visible from Pike's Peak?

That's Misiowillinoisasas. It's a giant state that extends from Golden, CO to Wheeling, WV, it is flat, and anything still made in America usually comes from somewhere in there.

I been to Iowa City...it wasn't a bad place...never been to Dubuque...what's within five hours' driving distance? Anything cool?

FWIW...I hardly went wheeling when I lived in Ohio. I did spend a lot of time paddling around a lot of lakes and a few small rivers, tho...and a shitload of mountain biking...hollers and rolling hills make for better mountain biking than mountains, honestly.

But no wheeling. I imagine Iowa is very similar, given the terrain.

·
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, good points (all of which I've been pointing out to myself). Here's the back story...

Right now I'm a team lead for a bunch of people who can't figure out how to tie their shoe laces in the morning, which puts me in a position to do most of the work myself, while escalating/encouraging the staff to step it up. This 'opportunity' involves being moved to a different position with a different team, tho still working for the evil blue empire.

My decision should be simple, untill I look at it from the aspect of "a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush"... one reason why I still work at this hell hole is that I can't find something else (in my skill range) even conceding to the fact that it will involve commuting to the DTC every day and taking a large cut in pay.

I hate these kinds of decisions.

And none of that even talks about the fact that I LOVE living in Colorado. Everything from the rocks to wheel on, to the people, to the cost of living, to the crime rates (where I live that is).

And I haven't even began considering the financial impact of trying to sell my house.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Just got off the phone with a buddy who grew up there. Cost of living is low, public schools are excellent, but,

Him and almost all of his friends live here now. It depends on what you like to do. I subscribe to the work to live theory, and enjoy pretty much everything CO has to offer. the skiing, rafting, biking, wheeling, hiking herre blow iowa out of the water. There is boating on the Miss, and my buddy thinks you can find some wheeling if you look REALLY hard for it, but nothing like out here. (all his friends are skiers/ boarders, so take that into account). his:2cents:

·
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
work to live not live to work... I keep repeating it over and over it's not helping. One negates the other. Focus on living, work quickly falls away and makes the living difficult or at the very least not what I recognize as living now. Same is true in the opposite.

I'm paying rent at nates again tonight... anybody want to swing by?

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I'll see if Troy is up for that. SOunds like you could use some company and we can bounce some ideas around. Post up on the Ohio and Indiana chapters since those guys are A) very cool and B)might have more info.

I assume you have also been looking at maybe trying to get back to Sacramento before you had to go to Debuque. That the case?

Man Doug... I would be so sad to lose you. I mean First TowerRigger, and then you. DAMMIT!

·
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trying to get to Nor-Cal to wheel the con is dependent on 1) having money to finish Jr. and 2) having the money/time to take off for the vacation. Both are affected by the pending loss of my job or taking it in the shorts to up and move to iowa.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
No I meant trying to find a job in the SAC. Or was that not what you had talked about awhile back. I had thought you said you'd move back there, but I didn't know if there were any good jobs to even apply for!

This economy SUCKS!

·
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A friend of mine wants me to move back there and has leads on jobs I could get pretty easily. I have said that I may have to move back there, but that's not the same as wanting to move back there.

EDIT: thanks for those who posted up about Dubuque. Keep it coming if you know about the area.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I'm paying rent at nates again tonight... anybody want to swing by?
Not tonight, tried that last night and had an allergic reaction to something (first one).

And after years of driving through Iowa for summer vacation before moving out here, I'm running from that state. I've heard Iowa stands for "Idiots Out Wandering Around". And from what I've seen up in Estes at times, I would agree.:confused::eek::bitchslap:suicide::explode:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I have a few friends that went to college in Iowa and loved it. From the few times I have been through there the people were great and although the interstate landscape was flat it was still pretty.

I hate to see ya go, but do what needs to be done!

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
there are still jobs available in your industry around here doug. as a matter of fact CU is creating roughly 15 new tech positions in all areas by the end of fall. I would step up to a part time staff position instead of a student employee position but I cant take on the extra 5 hours they would need for that. expand your search outside of the DTC and see what is out there. I know what you mean about loving to live here. I do to.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I haven't done any jobs in Dubuque. I think Molly was thinking of Duluth (I did love Duluth).It was further south in Burlington that I did a job. I have driven through Iowa on the 80 to Des Moines then south on 35 home one snowy night. But from what I know of Iowa it's decently progressive. A girl I went to school with lives in Des Moines. She's into theater and Indi rock. That's just one person though. If I were you I'd get a set of "muddin" tires for any four wheeling you do. There probably won't be any public lands to do it on though. So plan on making farmers mad :) Just learn quickly to tell which fields are fallow, and which are planted.lol These things happen. Take it in stride, and make the best of it. Good luck in whatever you choose.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts