TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen a couple older toyotas that have a dual rear shackle stup where the shackle that conects to the leaf connects to another shackle that connects to the frame (lays flat at ride height but drops down while flexing). You can also put a pin through it to prevent it from coming down while daily driving. I havnt heard about or seen any tacos with that sort of setup. Any input or experience with this would be helpful. im considering it the setup.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Very few folks around here run a double shackle setup and even fewer run the Revolver shackles. Even jeep guys don't seem to to use 'em much anymore. I happen to use a double shackle due to my cheap-ass and my chevy spring swap, but I am converting over to a single shackle and JJ's soon.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Ive seen a couple older toyotas that have a dual rear shackle stup where the shackle that conects to the leaf connects to another shackle that connects to the frame (lays flat at ride height but drops down while flexing). You can also put a pin through it to prevent it from coming down while daily driving. I havnt heard about or seen any tacos with that sort of setup. Any input or experience with this would be helpful. im considering it the setup.
PM ToferUOP. He's running a double shackle setup in the back of his 4runner.

~Miguel

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've never ran a double or tera-flex, but from what i hear on a DD aplication its a bad idea. In any case were you are in the need to lock up the breaks, heaven for bid your on a downhill slope, the shackle will extend. and once it hits the soft spot or free spot in the joint, it will make a whiplash sorta motion. moving the rear end to the front end. I've yet to see anyone actually flip but i have seen some close calls. one of the vertran members out here (WATTORA) curses at them for wrecking his 2nd gen runner. He tried to aviod a deer, long story short, good bye 4runner

But if you can keep your rig on slow trails i dont see a problem with them. give'r a try and lemme know. :)

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Putting a pin in it kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it. There is no way I would run one on a daily driver, actually I doubt seriuosly that I would run one on a trail rig due to the safety factor. They are just scary.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
I would say if you can put a pin in it while DD, then take it out for the trails that might work. It really depends on your personal choice. You have the Pro's and Con's to make an educated decision, what more could you ask for?. I wheel with a few guys the run them and have had nothing but success with them, but you do need to heed the warnings of the abovementioned issues.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I saw the following setup at AZ Rocks this year. Think the guy's name was Ryan or something. He built these himself. Sort of like a door hinge. I thought they worked damn nice. This image is him up on the RTI ramp. They didn't seem to do the quick unloading that I have heard revolver shackles do.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Huh, so it looks like his rig flexes about as well as any other mildly built SAC'd rig...

Points of interest:
Blocks
Shackle angle on stuffed side
Bumpstops (or lack thereof)

Points for creativity I guess

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Actually driving up the ramp backward he easily flexed the rear end an additional 6" more than others without the shackle. I think the actual tire droop was even more than that. Everyone there was pretty impressed by the extended droop. Either that or they were paying lip service.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
That looks pretty over complicated to me, personally. No way to fit enough shock in there to use all of that, then you just have more shit to tear up for no good reason. I'm sure it works fine, but I can't imagine he has any effective unsprung weight in the rear to keep his shit from just unloading. That rear shackle angle under full compression I would think would be a nightmare on the road.
Like I said I'm sure it works fine for him, but all that I've read regarding funky rear shackle setups the best wisdom seems to be KISS. I'm going to build a center pivot shackle, but thats one bolt 90* out in the middle and 1/4 wall square tube- just relieve the bushings a little, and I need a shorter shackle anyways.

·
Registered
607 Posts
shackles work great! No unloading issuses. they drive like normal on the road. Just dont let someone tug off of you from the side. I do need limits welded on. you wouldn't want to pre run with them. been using them for over a year and love them.:bitchslap

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I saw the following setup at AZ Rocks this year. Think the guy's name was Ryan or something. He built these himself. Sort of like a door hinge. I thought they worked damn nice. This image is him up on the RTI ramp. They didn't seem to do the quick unloading that I have heard revolver shackles do.

shackles work great! No unloading issuses. they drive like normal on the road. Just dont let someone tug off of you from the side. I do need limits welded on. you wouldn't want to pre run with them. been using them for over a year and love them.:bitchslap
i saw the amount of flex these things give and gave ryan a call. After some research and talking to guys on here, i discovered exactly what you all have started. The DD binding issues. I brought this up to ryan and as listed above he said he has had no issues with them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
we have been running our own double/swing shackles for about 9 years now,, and they work great on the trail and have NO issues on the street,, I currently have a set on my 2001 Limited 4Runner..

·
Registered
682 Posts
we have been running our own double/swing shackles for about 9 years now,, and they work great on the trail and have NO issues on the street,, I currently have a set on my 2001 Limited 4Runner..
Wow. Post that on the darkside under Hardcore Tech and see what happens. There's a reason why no one runs them anymore.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow. Post that on the darkside under Hardcore Tech and see what happens. There's a reason why no one runs them anymore.
Ha Ha,,, yea right!!

what will happen,, will the "web" wheelers come and get me,!!:rolleyes:

I have wheeled this set up over the Rubicon and Fordyce trails for about 9 years, along with about 15 others with our set-up,, I'm not saying it's the best, only that it work KILLER for Us, :)
I get a kick out of the "forum" guys, who always know more than the person who build their rigs,!

I could go back and find the post on the current 2001 Runner I have now ,,where someone said there is NO way that it will ever pass smog and have a working speedometer,, and a bunch of crap about the ABS/Trac system causing it to go into limp mode,!!, again a bunch of people who know more than the builder,;)

see you on the Rubicon in 2 weeks,, and again on Marlin's Round-up,:cool:

Anyways,, back to what this post is about,

01roctaco:
if your interested in checking out the set up I have, I live about 20 miles from you, you are more than welcome to take my Runner for a spin ,,:cool:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Ha Ha,,, yea right!!

what will happen,, will the "web" wheelers come and get me,!!:rolleyes:

I have wheeled this set up over the Rubicon and Fordyce trails for about 9 years, along with about 15 others with our set-up,, I'm not saying it's the best, only that it work KILLER for Us, :)
I get a kick out of the "forum" guys, who always know more than the person who build their rigs,!
Alright, I should've been more diplomatic about my first post... I'm not saying that your fab work sucks or that your Runner is a pile, I know what your rig looks like and you do good work, just wanted to make the clear.

With a quickly evolving sport such as wheeling, things are constantly being improved, updated, etc. This is to say double shackles have gone the way of having shocks @ a 45 degree angle, buggy leafs, forced hydraulic suspensions... All were good ideas in their own right, but none of 'em stuck for various reasons.

It has been proven that a properly vehicle built with limiting straps, bump-stops and sway bars will easily outperform a rig whose sole purpose is wheel travel.

I did run double shackles for a while, but several off-camber and downhill unloading experiences made me think twice about keeping the setup. Sure, my tires were touching the ground, but the wasn't any weight on them, so what was the point?

For the record, I may not make a living at it, but please don't think that I have done any less than 99% of the work on my rig, good and bad. Only thing I take it in for is to have the tires mounted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My rigs have been built for mild to moderate wheeling, ( my current 01' will be in the mild catagory!:) )I have never built a "comp" rig (I cannot afford something like that,!:eek: ),, so I make due with what I have seen work, in the past, I tried the "buggy spring" thing and that really sucked,:rolleyes: , granted a good engineered coil/4-link suspension would definatly out wheel my stuff,, and thats fine,, I think it's great that people try different ideas and some work ,some dont,:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts