TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's Got An Interior Cage In A 3rd Gen. 4Runner/Taco?

Any pics?

I'm trying to come up with a nice cage that's as unintrusive as possible in the passenger compartment.

I'm really interested to see if anyone went to the trouble of taking apart the dash and sent the a-pillar tubes of the cage down through it rather than just in front of it. I need to find out if there are all kinds of a/c ducts, heater motors, instrument cluster issues, etc. that would prevent me from doing this or if I can actually squeeze this behind the dash for the best fit in terms of strength while not taking up tons of room.

TIA,
Sean

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Before I posted, I did do a search on "roll cage". Search didn't come up with anything except a bunch of threads that had to do with build ups and none of them had anything but reference of one of the posters in the thread talking about putting one in.....but no pics.

I searched later on in the evening after going to other Toyota sites and put in essentially the same thing but this time it gave me one thread with two guys that put an interior cage in through the dash.

I really do appreciate the effort though. Sorry I didn' think to try "in cab cage". But thank you very much for the help.

Sean

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I'm really interested to see if anyone went to the trouble of taking apart the dash and sent the a-pillar tubes of the cage down through it rather than just in front of it.
Yes.
I need to find out if there are all kinds of a/c ducts, heater motors, instrument cluster issues, etc. that would prevent me from doing this
Yes.
or if I can actually squeeze this behind the dash for the best fit in terms of strength while not taking up tons of room.
Yes. It can be done, but like what you said above, everything is in the way. The biggest problem is probably with the ducting, but people usually just tear it out and redo it with that flexible hose. You might try desertrides.com, it's not all toyotas, but it will give you some ideas on how people build their cages.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I actually found that link to the second (I believe) link last night. It was the one with two different trucks that had the cage through the dash.

I think that's the route I'll take as it will give me the most room.

Thanks again for all the help.

It's appreciated.

Sean

·
Registered
829 Posts
I ran mine through the dash and didn't have any duct work in the way. the only things I had to move were the clutch switch and remove the plastic from around the harness on the firewall on the drivers side.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ran mine through the dash and didn't have any duct work in the way. the only things I had to move were the clutch switch and remove the plastic from around the harness on the firewall on the drivers side.
Is yours a 3rd Gen? Sounds awesome. Do you have any pics by chance?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want any strength though, you're going to want to run a horizontal bar behind the dash that you can tie your windshield "V" into.
Agreed. That portion of the cab is what always crushes the most in the rollovers I've seen (or been in) in Toyota trucks.

Sean

·
Registered
829 Posts
Is yours a 3rd Gen? Sounds awesome. Do you have any pics by chance?

Thanks,
Sean
Mine is a 99 I only have a couple of pics where it goes through the dash. I can get some of the inside of the dash this weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts