TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to find a place in my truck for my 2- 8" eclipse subs. The only place they fit is on top of the damm seat! I took the truck by a stero shop a while ago and they said that they could make a box for a 6" sub behind the back seat. I have never heard the quallity of a 6" sub. If they sound good then I can make my own box. Pix would be cool, or if this has been covered before give me some direction I could not find shit.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I can't do a lot of online searching right now, but I know there is a box you can buy (eBay has it a lot) that fits behind the rear seats. It's really short and the whole width of the rear of the cab, and requires you to remove the cargo net, spare tire jack, etc., and allows you to install two 6" subs, one in each lower corner of the rear cab behind the seats. I think I've seen mention of it on here, too. Good luck finding what you're looking for!

-Radar

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've got a 10" sub in a 0.7 cu ft box behind my drivers side back seat. Built it myself, project was a minor PITA but worth it. The biggest trick I figured out was to take the seatback brackets and re-drill them to move the bottom of the seatback forward about an inch, that gave me enough depth to make it all work. My box is as wide as the drivers side back seat (the 40% side of the 60/40), and the top is just under the latch. The top, bottom and sides are 1/2" mdf, and I built the back out of fiberglass. The other hard part is finding a shallow enough sub that needs a very small box. I'd look at the shallow mount kickers if I was starting over. Or if your eclipses are shallow enough and will work in .35 cu ft you could build a box like mine but put a divider in it. As I remember, I was able to get a little less than 5 inches of useable depth.

You'll have to find a really good shop, or do it yourself to make this happen. My local shops just wouldn't put the thought into it to build the box I ended up with. Sorry, I don't have any pics.

Edit: I saw the dual 6" box, the site is

www.sellproductsnow.com

He makes a nice product but I wasn't willing to give up all my storage space. With my setup I have my jack, lug wrench, jumper cables and a first aid kit, along with my sub behind the back seat.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Im using a dual 6" box with 6w0 jl subs behind back seat and sounds great.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i also used to have a single jl 8w0 in a custom box but now I love my two 6w0.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've got a 10" sub in a 0.7 cu ft box behind my drivers side back seat. Built it myself, project was a minor PITA but worth it. The biggest trick I figured out was to take the seatback brackets and re-drill them to move the bottom of the seatback forward about an inch, that gave me enough depth to make it all work. My box is as wide as the drivers side back seat (the 40% side of the 60/40), and the top is just under the latch. The top, bottom and sides are 1/2" mdf, and I built the back out of fiberglass. The other hard part is finding a shallow enough sub that needs a very small box. I'd look at the shallow mount kickers if I was starting over. Or if your eclipses are shallow enough and will work in .35 cu ft you could build a box like mine but put a divider in it. As I remember, I was able to get a little less than 5 inches of useable depth.

You'll have to find a really good shop, or do it yourself to make this happen. My local shops just wouldn't put the thought into it to build the box I ended up with. Sorry, I don't have any pics.

Edit: I saw the dual 6" box, the site is

www.sellproductsnow.com

He makes a nice product but I wasn't willing to give up all my storage space. With my setup I have my jack, lug wrench, jumper cables and a first aid kit, along with my sub behind the back seat.

I have contacted Jeremy @Sellproductsnow. Good luck if you want him to build a box, He says he is awfully busy.
I have seen that same box elsewhere, the link is on my computer at home.
Currently I'm building my own box, hopefully to fit a 12", We'll see
:boobies:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have contacted Jeremy @Sellproductsnow. Good luck if you want him to build a box, He says he is awfully busy.
I have seen that same box elsewhere, the link is on my computer at home.
Currently I'm building my own box, hopefully to fit a 12", We'll see
:boobies:
Going for a 12"? Very cool, let me know how it goes. Have you got the seat bracket thing figured out? And what 12 are you going to use?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm hoping a 12" will fit, I want to use all my 1100W RMS to power it.
Do you have any more guidance on the front bracket? I understand I need to drill new rear bracket holes but, what about the front and do I cut off the guide pin? I made the box to tall and now I also need to cut the top metal bracket on the back of the seats.

As for the 12??? I'm not sure what mounting depth will be available and I'm around .7CF in volume
This one looks good http://www.crutchfield.com/S-caAZNbkLGiA/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&I=130TSS3041

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm hoping a 12" will fit, I want to use all my 1100W RMS to power it.
Do you have any more guidance on the front bracket? I understand I need to drill new rear bracket holes but, what about the front and do I cut off the guide pin? I made the box to tall and now I also need to cut the top metal bracket on the back of the seats.

As for the 12??? I'm not sure what mounting depth will be available and I'm around .7CF in volume
This one looks good http://www.crutchfield.com/S-caAZNbkLGiA/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&I=130TSS3041

Man, I gotta figure out how to post pics..

The brackets I drilled are the small ones that connect the seat back to the seat base. The goal is to rotate the bracket top forward, moving the bottom of the seat back forward. The back of the seat goes from this ( I ) to this ( / ). The base of the seat stays put. I never looked at the mounts you are working on, I'm really sorry for causing any confusion, but you might be onto something cool. I'm gonna look at the base mounts tommorrow and see what they could do.

Another sub to look at is

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FbCxEs4i7nz/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&I=2067C12VT2

I read a review that compared the Pioneer, the Kicker and the shallow mount Clarion, they had the Kicker in a very small sealed box and said that the Kicker worked great, the Clarion was good and the Pioneer was OK. I'll try to find the review, I'll post it if I find it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
to hell with the room put a quality 10 or 12 in a sealed box dont take much sound good if you are use to an 8 the 10 or 12 would be amazing plus you dont have to havea huge box.. i have done lots of different boxes in my truck and others even reg cab just get up with me i ll let you know all depends on how much sound quality and loudness you want

·
Registered
808 Posts
Without moving the seets or going custome fiberglass, there is very little room to work with. When I had mine I had 2 JL 6's. The problem with most 8" subs is the speak itself is too deep. The only one's I could find with shallow mounting depth is the audiobahn 8". Not the greatest sub in the world. In addition to get proper response I had to do that with a minimum of 1/2" mdf, I couldn't get more than almost a .5 cubic ft of airspace.

By the way, 2 JL 6's sounded pretty good for what they were.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Without moving the seets or going custome fiberglass, there is very little room to work with. When I had mine I had 2 JL 6's. The problem with most 8" subs is the speak itself is too deep. The only one's I could find with shallow mounting depth is the audiobahn 8". Not the greatest sub in the world. In addition to get proper response I had to do that with a minimum of 1/2" mdf, I couldn't get more than almost a .5 cubic ft of airspace.

By the way, 2 JL 6's sounded pretty good for what they were.

You're right about the depth, it was hard to find shallow enough subs. I had one of these JL8s

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=22

in a sealed box before I moved my seatback, it sounded good but I wanted more out put.

There are a bunch of shallow mount subs that have hit the market recently that make the depth less of a problem. Box volume is still a problem with most of the shallow mounts though, why would someone build a shallow sub that needs a 2.0 cu ft box???

Here is another sub that could be good for a d-cab

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=1_21&products_id=106

shallow, small box friendly and pretty cheap..

·
Registered
808 Posts
You're right about the depth, it was hard to find shallow enough subs. I had one of these JL8s

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=22

in a sealed box before I moved my seatback, it sounded good but I wanted more out put.

There are a bunch of shallow mount subs that have hit the market recently that make the depth less of a problem. Box volume is still a problem with most of the shallow mounts though, why would someone build a shallow sub that needs a 2.0 cu ft box???
Good point...normally if it's too shallow for the speaker, air volume will be tight too. No getting around physics...need air to move air:)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think Jl 6" will be the buy for me. I can build my own box that will fit back there. I dont need alot of bass it's not like I want to be bump'n three6 Mafia on three 12", I just want a little better sounding system. I will be running my stock deck and about a 600 watt amp for the subs. my buddy works at ARC Audio, so I will swing by there and see what they can do.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I think Jl 6" will be the buy for me. I can build my own box that will fit back there. I dont need alot of bass it's not like I want to be bump'n three6 Mafia on three 12", I just want a little better sounding system. I will be running my stock deck and about a 600 watt amp for the subs. my buddy works at ARC Audio, so I will swing by there and see what they can do.
That exactly what I ran (minus 600 watt amp...that might be overkill for the 6" JL's). It won't rattle your neighbors mirrors, but I think you be pleasantly surprised on how decent it sounds.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Im using a dual 6" box with 6w0 jl subs behind back seat and sounds great.
i wolud use jl subs they are the best in my mind. all of them can use less than 1 cu ft and most are like .5 cu ft. they also make a box for most vehicles called the stealth box. they are kind of pricy, but they are a perfect fit, u get what u pay 4.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I would do 2 JL 12w6v2. Just strap the box to the roof of the cab and make sure to bolt it down good. You will need to make a port for it that goes through the roof*. If you make it shallow enough it will be barely noticable. Thats what I got. Hope that helps. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts