TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new Taco owner who drove my brand new 2007 DC home from the dealership last month. So far, I've added a lift kit, installed new wheels/tires and am loving every minute of the experience.

But I have a question: what's with all the hating? Since I've been reading this and other forums to get ideas/inspirations/advice on my new truck, I'm struck by the number of people who talk down about the second genreation Tacoma. And the people knocking the Taco are the very people driving them!

Just in the last 24 hours, I've read more than one post advising newbies NOT to buy a new Tacoma. I've read posts from early model Tacomas calling the new Tacomas junk. I've read about people trading in their Tacos due to mysterious vibrations and general dissatisfaction. I've read about failed rear ends and crooked dealerships who won't back warranties. I've seen the Taco knocked for its cheapo interior and terrible gas mileage. And I've read how Toyota has sunk to GM quality standards.

Seriously, did I make a mistake buying my new truck? Are things really that bad? Will I experience a neverending journey of breakdowns, vibrations and costly repairs?

It's odd for me, someone who has owned two Jeep Wranglers, to hear people so openly criticizing their rigs. TJ enthusiasts absolutely adore their product and would never bash it.

For those who believe the newer Tacos are so bad, why drive them?

·
Registered
779 Posts
it's not a small compact truck anymore, which is why I frown upon it. If it had a different name I am sure I along with many others wouldbe fine with it.. I vote to bring the old taco back...make it a smaller truck and have something in between the tundra and taco if they want but don't change something that was great... my 2 cents..

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I think the above posted summed up most Toyota people's dislike for the truck. I personally love mine, I came from a 3rd gen 4runner (essentially a Taco) and needed/wanted more space. Mine is getting close to 50,000 miles and I haven't done anything other than change the oil and put gas in it and the only vibrations I have are lift induced.

I am still getting 18+ mpg with a lift and 295/70/17's. The truck isn't perfect and it is a compromise. I wouldn't have bought this truck if I wanted a trail rig, but then again I wouldn't have bought a last gen. taco for a trail rig either, there are other trucks (older toyotas) that are, in my opinion, much better suited for that duty as well.

·
Registered
597 Posts
it's not a small compact truck anymore, which is why I frown upon it. If it had a different name I am sure I along with many others wouldbe fine with it.. I vote to bring the old taco back...make it a smaller truck and have something in between the tundra and taco if they want but don't change something that was great... my 2 cents..
x2, I'm sure the new trucks are great for what they are, but I love the narrower stance and more simplicity. This is eventually going to be strictly my camping and killing truck that will see a lot of narrow trails and long term ownership. I too think that Toyota screwed up in making the Tacoma bigger. Again, I have nothing bad to say about the new Tacomas cause I was never interested in them and have never even thought about trading my '98 on one. I'm sure its a great truck, it is a toyota anyways!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've had both, one of the first Tacoma's that came out in 95 1/2, yes, they actually called it a 1995.5 year model Tacoma, and then my 2006 DC 4x4 Tacoma.

Most people don't like the new Taco simply because it grew. Traditionally Toyota trucks have been very small, compact, and great for trail riding, etc. The new Tacoma is still great for trail riding, but it is larger which most people don't like. Vibration issues have been a concern, but all of those I've seen have been a few with lifts, and many with lifts have no problems.

As for the blown rear-ends, that's the most concerning to me of anything, but so far I've had 0 problems, but it lowers my confidence in ToMoCo if they aren't covering. I just switched from Dodge because they screwed me for warranty work.

Anyway, comparing my old one and new one though, I have ZERO complaints. I've owned a lot of trucks & SUV's, and this is by far the smoothest riding truck I've ever had, with a great mix of power and functionality. I've put 30K miles on my truck in 11 months, and I drive HARD. I've done my oil changes every 5K just like the book (using synthetic though), and she just seems to get better and better. The only problem I've had, and still need to get fixed, is my A/C fan on low makes a squeaking noise. But it has storage space out the wazoo for something it's size, a lot of full size trucks you can't put crap behind the backseats, yet behind mine I got a Vair air compressor, a jack, bunch of tools, maps, etc. Under the seat I can even stick my rifle, my second jack, more tools, my GPS, and still got room to spare. Then in the back I got my tow straps and an A/C outlet which I've yet to use and may never use, but it's innovative nevertheless. And cup holders, oh the cup holders rock. The drivetrain has been solid so far, and I use my truck on the farm, and on the weekend drive 1,000 mile roundtrip to the gulf, she does great, and I romp the crud out of it, usually at a steady 90mph or so.

The only complaint I have is that it's not big enough, but that's just because I really need a full-size truck, and why I have my eye on an '07 Tundra as soon as it's financially feasible.

So be at peace you bought a solid truck, IMO at least.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the above posted summed up most Toyota people's dislike for the truck. I personally love mine, I came from a 3rd gen 4runner (essentially a Taco) and needed/wanted more space. Mine is getting close to 50,000 miles and I haven't done anything other than change the oil and put gas in it and the only vibrations I have are lift induced.
That was my experience with my 86 Toyota pickup. Granted, it was as basic a truck as you could get. Didnt even have AC. But I drive the thing for three years and all I ever did to it was change the oil. I'm hoping that same Toyota quality still exists!

·
Registered
532 Posts
not everyone has the stereotypical american mentality that bigger is better. there are plenty of toyota customers that love the small compact pickup and prefer it over bigger trucks because they have no want or need for anything bigger. myself included. thats why im happy with my 04. toyota cant please everyone, they chose to please the bigger is better crowd.

btw, this subject has been beaten to death here. the current model hit showrooms over 2 years ago already so search back for the details.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
I personally give new viechals some time to get any bugs out before i buy although theres only a few who have said bad things about the new taco. I wouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
x2, I'm sure the new trucks are great for what they are, but I love the narrower stance and more simplicity. This is eventually going to be strictly my camping and killing truck that will see a lot of narrow trails and long term ownership. I too think that Toyota screwed up in making the Tacoma bigger. Again, I have nothing bad to say about the new Tacomas cause I was never interested in them and have never even thought about trading my '98 on one. I'm sure its a great truck, it is a toyota anyways!
killing truck, WTF!??! x2 on the toyota thing...

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I love my 92 and I love my 07. They each have thier place, the 92 is MUCH better on the trail, but everywhere else the 07 has it. Not that the 07 is bad by any means, I love it..best truck I have ever owned. Its just not the compact little trail truck. Which is fine, if I wanted a comapct little trail truck I would have bought a 86-88 4runner and SASed it (in a few years when the kids are bigger). The quality is still there, the power is better than ever and so is the ride.

·
Registered
172 Posts
New Tacos Rock

I can say to you that this is the best truck I've ever owned, It rides like a car, has the power of a truck, it's very goodlooking, and I'm very comfident that this truck will last a lifetime with me.

I don't know about vibration, to me is very smooth at any speed.

I can tow a 23 Proline all around the island and get it into and out of the water with no problems at all, all this in style and comodity.

If I wanted a "hardcore winch me out trail rig", I probably would buy an 2004 Taco and modify it to the max.

With my stock 06DC I can go trail riding and get anywhere with confidence on my truck, I'm not talking the hardcore winch me out trails, just the offroad adventure a casual offroader does alone with the girlfriend :boobies: :boobies: :boobies:

In my opinion, when this Taco runs out of warranty, it will become the "Scratch my truck trail rig" that I allways wanted and probably will get a Last model Tundra.

What I like the most about my Taco is that it's big enough to not have a problem to find a good parking like a Tundra or full size truck

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Increased size, lowerd quality and made it more car like in order to appeal to the mall running pussies out there.

The only positive thing is the larger engine displacement but the judge is still out as to whether they did a good job or not.

Personally I don't favor aluminum blocks preferring iron for it's durability instead. Cast aluminum simply does not tolerate thermal cycling as well as iron nor does it like getting too hot before it cracks. The cost of replacing aluminum heads was bad enough.

In effect they took the weight out of the frame and engine and put it into more sheet metal and plastic.

This is an off road board so anything that detracts from the trail worthiness aspects is gonna cause that kind of reaction here. I would think that you would see quite the opposite reaction over on the Custom Tacos board since that is all about bling and bullshit.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I agree. I love my 06 Taco. Those little noise dont bother me at all, cuz i cant even hear it due to my tire making more noise. The new taco is the best thing ever happen to Toyota. I've seen more tacoma driver nowday.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
05+ Tacomas can't offroad as good as the earlier models

Here comes the shitstorm

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
05+ Tacomas can't offroad as good as the earlier models

Here comes the shitstorm
I believe that to be true 100%. I wheeled the wifes truck last friday (the 05 that broke) as well as my 04. The 05 SUCKS at wheeling compared to the older one. I have first hand experience :D

BTW.....fixed the color too.....

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hunting :D.. thats what mine is for, camping and killng....
I would agree, but i don't consider my love for shooting squirrels hunting per se. I guess to appease the PETA folks, camping and hunting truck, who am I kidding, its camping and killing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think a lot of the "hate" stems newbies who polluted the boards talking about stuff they knew nothing about. For many of them, the new Tacoma is their first experience with a truck, and they think because it has a V6, 4-wheel drive, and a locker, that it's the best thing since sliced bread. The reality, in terms of offroading, is that in many ways the new trucks are inferior to the older models.The mentality of "my truck is bigger and badder, therefore it's the best" is what pissed a bunch of people off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just traded my 04 3.4 auto 4x4 limited for an 07 4.0 with the Sport package. I don't do a lot of off roading so the smaller size of the 04 was not an advantage. The larger size of the 07 is an improvement for my purposes and the new truck rides and handles much better that the old one on pavement where I do most of my driving. My only complaint is the computer controlled throttle. I'm beginning to wish I bought an auto.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts