TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and I have browsed, but most of what I have found is either too specific or too advanced for my current level of understanding.

I am having a hard time understanding why more expensive rebuildable coilovers are desirable, or maybe more accurately when/for whom rebuildable coilovers are desirable for.

From what I have gathered high performance coilovers like SAWs, Icons, Camburgs, etc need to be rebuilt every couple years, and the cost of having this done is roughly ~200-500 dollars and often means going a week or two without your coilovers waiting on the rebuild. I don't love the idea of the extra $$$ and maintenance burden when compared with something like Toytec/Eibach, All-pro, or OME coilovers which are not rebuildable but I would assume last longer than a couple years and the shocks could be replaced eliminating the need for a rebuild. Yet it seems many people here see the need to rebuild coilovers as a pro not a con. Help me understand why? What am I missing?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,366 Posts
This question is a popular one that comes up often.

The time frame for having them rebuilt is a matter of use. I had some of the early SAW coilovers and they lasted about 6yrs before I had to replace the seals. I did the rebuild myself. I'm running Donahoes (pre-Icon) now and I had them rebuilt about the same time frame. My truck isn't a daily driver, so pulling the shocks to send in for service isn't a major inconvenience for me.

The race inspired coilovers can take a beating and handle the abuse. Sealed shocks like OME and Bilstein will eventually wear out and need to be replaced. They can and do fade during hard usage. Replacement cost is about 50% more than rebuilding the racing shocks.

If you drive a majority of your miles on the street, any shock will do, but the race models will be overkill. If you hit the trails frequently and do any kind of high speed trail running, you want the race model coilovers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Can I ask the approximate cost of the rebuilds?

Sealed shocks like OME and Bilstein will eventually wear out and need to be replaced.
My vague understanding is that with non-rebuildable coilovers just the shock portion can be replaced without replacing the whole coilover. Do you know if this is the case?

Replacement cost is about 50% more than rebuilding the racing shocks.
Are you comparing to the cost of full coilover replacements or just replacing the shocks?

If you drive a majority of your miles on the street, any shock will do, but the race models will be overkill
I do drive the majority of my miles on pavement, and only wheel or travel long distances overland a handful of times a year. But I do need to upgrade my suspension (still running the stock soft 15 year old springs and shocks are in need of replacement) regardless of whether I end up getting rebuildable coilovers, non-rebuildables, or just going with OME springs and new shocks. I'm just having a hard time understanding the pros and cons of the various options. Cost is important to me (especially recurring maintenance cost), as is simplicity, and of course off and on road handling and cabability.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,366 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Can I ask the approximate cost of the rebuilds?
Varies by MFG, but I paid $250 for mine to be rebuilt by Icon.

My vague understanding is that with non-rebuildable coilovers just the shock portion can be replaced without replacing the whole coilover. Do you know if this is the case?
That is correct. Just replace the shock and re-use the spring

Are you comparing to the cost of full coilover replacements or just replacing the shocks?
Just the shocks. $250 for rebuild vs $400 for new shocks. Again, pricing varies by brand, some shocks are near the price of rebuild.

I do drive the majority of my miles on pavement, and only wheel or travel long distances overland a handful of times a year. But I do need to upgrade my suspension (still running the stock soft 15 year old springs and shocks are in need of replacement) regardless of whether I end up getting rebuildable coilovers, non-rebuildables, or just going with OME springs and new shocks. I'm just having a hard time understanding the pros and cons of the various options. Cost is important to me (especially recurring maintenance cost), as is simplicity, and of course off and on road handling and cabability.
Cost isn't the key factor for me. I'd rather spend more for increased reliability, ease of service and being able to meet my specific needs. The shocks I have now meet all those requirements, so I'll spend more to get those benefits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys! I've been following this post, as I just manned up and bought ICON Stage 4's for the front of my 3rd gen 4runner! I have to say, the difference between them and the blown out Rancho suspension lift I had is night and day! I absolutely love them! And $250 to rebuild is WAY better than I thought it would be!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey guys! I've been following this post, as I just manned up and bought ICON Stage 4's for the front of my 3rd gen 4runner! I have to say, the difference between them and the blown out Rancho suspension lift I had is night and day! I absolutely love them! And $250 to rebuild is WAY better than I thought it would be!
I've been running Icon/Donahoe on my 01 Taco for 200k miles. I had them rebuilt at 120k of use but didn't notice any difference in performance or ride height. Great shocks and great company. They replaced the coils for free in the rebuild bc the powdercoat was failing in places.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts