TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why do our trucks have IFS anyway?

WTF was Toyota thinking when they put an IFS on the Tacomas? Is it cheaper then a live axle? Does it supposedly ride better on road (doesn't seem like it). Is it stronger (no)? I just don't see why they IFS'd a pickup truck. Someone please explain!

·
Registered
72 Posts
for 2 reasons:

1) Soccer moms

2) Wusses

It's for the same reasons that no Double Cab Tacoma has ever been offered with a manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Car-like handling, I'd guess. From what I hear on the boards its a consumer thing, as they still sell solid axle fronts in other countries (diesels available pretty much everywhere below the equator too).

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hartzpad said:
for 2 reasons:

1) Soccer moms

2) Wusses

It's for the same reasons that no Double Cab Tacoma has ever been offered with a manual transmission.
I don't think the truck has a particilarly plush ride on the road even with the IFS.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Toyota, like all the other truck makers, build trucks with IFS because thats what the majority of people want: trucks that ride more like cars. Its not a big conspiracy, its just simple economics. They go where the money is.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Ever ridden in a 85 and prior Toyota? Big difference. Not much difference in ride between the 79-85 and 86-95 pickups even withe the IFS-Solid difference. Or at least the single cabs (had one). But tacomas, very big difference. If you have a TRD, dirt road are much better.

IFS has advantages at higher speeds, solid fronts are for lower speeds (like 10 mph and lower). Think a trophy truck would ever have a axle in the front? haha no way...

BTW, anyone taken their sway bar off the front of a IFS? Makes a pretty good difference on slow driving and rocks. But your tires wear mad faster on road.

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
Kyota said:
Ever ridden in a 85 and prior Toyota? Big difference. Not much difference in ride between the 79-85 and 86-95 pickups even withe the IFS-Solid difference. Or at least the single cabs (had one). But tacomas, very big difference. If you have a TRD, dirt road are much better.

IFS has advantages at higher speeds, solid fronts are for lower speeds (like 10 mph and lower). Think a trophy truck would ever have a axle in the front? haha no way...

BTW, anyone taken their sway bar off the front of a IFS? Makes a pretty good difference on slow driving and rocks. But your tires wear mad faster on road.
I had an 85 truck, you could the dime on the road you just ran over.

·
Registered
59 Posts
TacoTaco said:
Toyota, like all the other truck makers, build trucks with IFS because thats what the majority of people want: trucks that ride more like cars. Its not a big conspiracy, its just simple economics. They go where the money is.
Follow the Money! Always

·
Registered
469 Posts
hartzpad said:
for 2 reasons:

1) Soccer moms

2) Wusses

I definitely agree with #s 1 and 2, but I've read that the new 05 Tacoma Double Cabs can be had with a manual tranny. I just wish the PreRunner could be bought with a manual.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
97TacoDude said:
WTF was Toyota thinking when they put an IFS on the Tacomas? Is it cheaper then a live axle? Does it supposedly ride better on road (doesn't seem like it). Is it stronger (no)? I just don't see why they IFS'd a pickup truck. Someone please explain!
IFS is used because with it, rather than a solid axle, there is less unsprung weight. This, less unsprung weight, makes it easier for the engineers to design a smooth ride. A smooth ride is very possible with a solid axle, go ride in a WJ if you dont believe me, but it is more difficult and expensive to obtain. So its just easier, therefore cheaper for them to work with.

Best I could put it.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
i've ridden in a '97 grand cherokee limited, SA, and it rides like sh*t, can feel every crack. haven't had much other experience than that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
hartzpad said:
for 2 reasons:

1) Soccer moms

2) Wusses

you can get an 05 double cab 4wd with a manual, my buddy at work has one.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
ianshoots said:
Car-like handling, I'd guess. From what I hear on the boards its a consumer thing, as they still sell solid axle fronts in other countries (diesels available pretty much everywhere below the equator too).
The hilux is no longer SFA. It got the torsion front suspension from the pre 95.5 pickup..

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Toyota sold IFS trucks before the Tacoma, for the entire decade prior to be exact, so it didn't just come out of the blue.

As was said before, it was most likely a marketing decision. Most people want their truck to ride like their car, but they also want it to get them through deep snow, down rough roads, and still tow their boat, and IFS is the best way to fit every need while obtaining a car-like ride.

That being said, I love solid axle trucks. My first truck was a SA and I had her for a year. It was a 1983 GMC Sierra 1/2-ton; regular cab, longbed, with a 6.2L diesel. I loved that truck: the ride was compliant and predictable and the motor was excellent.
I was accustomed to the ride of a leaf-sprung solid axle, as the only pickups I had ridden in before were my dad's matching '83 Sierra (when I was in diapers) and his '91 Ford F-250 (when I was pre-teen).
Nothing beats the solid feeling. I hate the wondering mushy-ness of IFS trucks, like my '97 3/4-ton Silverado extended cab longbed. It rode nice in straight lines, but was too prone to body lean.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
CYi5 said:
i've ridden in a '97 grand cherokee limited, SA, and it rides like sh*t, can feel every crack. haven't had much other experience than that.
ive ridden in a 97, 99, and an 01 and they were all smooth as a baby's ass compared to a stock Tacoma ride.

·
Registered
301 Posts
CYi5 said:
Something was wrong with it then. I had a '98, and when it was stock, it rode like a friggen Cadillac. TOOO soft. With a 3" skyjacker lift it was still better than my stock taco. Only when I got up to 6" on short arms was it not good (and it still wasn't that bad). I put long arms on, and the front suspension was SOOOO nice after that, even with my stiff Doestch Tech 8000 shocks. The rear was a poor design for ride quality (but AWESOME for flex) but other long arm kits rode much better. My buddy has one on 35s (which is HARD to do on a GC) with a better LA kit, and it rides SUPER plush. It was actually kinda scary when he had no sway bars in it, body roll galore because of the mad flex. After I put in the long arms, I had to move up to an addco swaybar up front to keep the body roll in check cause it was SOOOOO flexy.

Here's some pics at 5" or so, with short arms, but a tri link rear. I never got a pic flexed up with the long arms, but it was a little better (shocks were limiting in both cases, cause I didn't want to drop a coil).

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Not that it will change anyone's feelings for or against IFS, but I'm pretty sure HumVee's, at least the ones the millitary actually uses, are independent suspension front AND rear. Not the case in the H2 or the upcoming H3, I don't believe.

Of course the arms are so beefy its almost scary (mmmm...beefy).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts