TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a few older toyotas and it did not cost much i plan on doing my tacoma for around 500 why do all of yall say it camt be done

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Because it can't be done WELL.

I dare you to post up a SAS that you put $500 here and not have a single person tell you what you should have done differently.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll take that bet and just so you know im a highly skilled metal fab and welder and with this price this is used parts and I will put my build up here

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I'll take that bet and just so you know im a highly skilled metal fab and welder and with this price this is used parts and I will put my build up here
Can you fab Chromo Axle shafts, and ring and pinions? What are you going to do for steering? You can Sas a truck for cheap, but it wont last long if you actually wheel it. :2cents:

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
So am I and it didn't cost 500...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hunt and mud ride i live in fl i sas my first toyota in 2000 it still runs and drives fine ive never had any problems out of it even when it was rolled and 35 mph lots of dents and dings as far as steering it will have a 90 model steering box i will have to buy joints to connect it as far as the tie rod ends i will use chevy one ton in some dom tubing which i get cheap as far as the axle goes im not sure what to run the wagg are i have a hp ford dana this is going to be my first tacoma swap so thats why im on here to find info like that out

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Leaf springs and what front end are you using?
Leaf springs and a chopped/flipped yota axle. I have 70k miles on my rig since te sas and have not had any issues.

The only brackets I bought were the panhard bracket, rear leaf spring hangers and the ubolt plates. Everything else I Fabbed and it was well over 500 bucks...

Let me put it this way. I probably spent 500 bucks on welding wire, oxy, acy, argon and consumables...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
:xpopcorn:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have seen the oil pan swap is this an issue because of where the steering pitman arm comes across are can you not swap the oil pan with enough lift? I plan on doing this next month and i have a guy in pensacola fl that sells nothing but used oem toyota parts cheap been buying parts for 10 years from him

·
Administrator
18,233 Posts
I have seen the oil pan swap is this an issue because of where the steering pitman arm comes across are can you not swap the oil pan with enough lift? I plan on doing this next month and i have a guy in pensacola fl that sells nothing but used oem toyota parts cheap been buying parts for 10 years from him
Its not the amount of lift, its the full compression that is an issue. Same with the position of the steering box. You have to angle the box enough to keep the arm tucked up to the frame (unless you run a flat pitman arm). If it hangs too low, it can/will contact the tie rod. And with the steering this high to the frame, at full compression the drag link is close to contacting the oil pan since the stock pan is a front sump.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
This should be good :xpopcorn:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info on the steering issue i have read alot about this swap the only thing im still unsure of is what stock axle is the best ? Does the wagge have the spring perch on the chunk

1 - 20 of 309 Posts