TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to figure out how lifting the suspension allows for bigger tires?
Your suspension unless you block the top off the strut will travel the same amount when fully articulated wether you lifted or not. All lifting would do that
I can see is if there were a rubbing problem it would be lessen because the suspension wouldn't get to the point of rubing as often - I'm I correct here?

Thanks,
TBob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
924 Posts
The truck only weighs so much. Hopefully you're not bottoming out your suspension a lot right now.

Other than that you would be right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so on that not - how will 33's clear with a 2" BL? If no replies I'll let you know on Monday :D


not2XS said:
The truck only weighs so much. Hopefully you're not bottoming out your suspension a lot right now.

Other than that you would be right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
It depends on the width of the 33's the backspacing of the rim and the size of the rim 15x8, 15x10, 15x12.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
With a 33x12.50 on a 15x10 you are going to hit something awful but if its like a 33x10.50 on a stock rim you may get by without to much hittting just when offroad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
well just my personal oppinion i think trying to stuff 33s under a 2in lift is stupid. it just looks to me like u are trying to stuff bigger tires where they really dont fit. it gives u no room to articulate at all so whats the point? you'll be rubbing the shit out of your fenderwells anyway. just my 2cents :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually a 2" BL will allow larger tires more room for articulation by raising the fenderwells. The hole point of a lift should be to run bigger tires = more clearence. The ultimate goal is to lift as little as possible to fit the tires you want to run. - but thanks for your .02

TBob


tntaco said:
well just my personal oppinion i think trying to stuff 33s under a 2in lift is stupid. it just looks to me like u are trying to stuff bigger tires where they really dont fit. it gives u no room to articulate at all so whats the point? you'll be rubbing the shit out of your fenderwells anyway. just my 2cents :D
 

·
Random Dude
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
You should research how these new fangled suspension lifts work.

One method is to shove a spacer on top of the spring, effectively pushing the suspension further into an extended state.

Another method is to use a spring with a heavier spring rate. The spring compresses less than the stock spring with the normal weight of the truck on it thus giving the lift. However, due to the heavier rate the truck will need to work harder to compress the spring to the point of "fully articulated" relative to stock springs.

But in the end who cares about a little rubbing :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply -actualy I do understand IFS quite well, that was the reason for my original question. I can't understand why people think that putting an adjustable coil will stop the rubbing- it may lessen it due to the fact it will not hit full bottom as often(stiffer spring or added preload - or both) but that's about it.

Spacers on top of the shock (between the shock body and frame mount) limit the upward travel of the suspension but in my book it's a real bad way to go.

Other things guys are doing are spacers that preload the spring - add more preload to a spring and watch the ride go to $hit not to mention the possibility of coil bind.

Thanks for the reply,
TBob


BigBadBob0 said:
You should research how these new fangled suspension lifts work.

One method is to shove a spacer on top of the spring, effectively pushing the suspension further into an extended state.

Another method is to use a spring with a heavier spring rate. The spring compresses less than the stock spring with the normal weight of the truck on it thus giving the lift. However, due to the heavier rate the truck will need to work harder to compress the spring to the point of "fully articulated" relative to stock springs.

But in the end who cares about a little rubbing :)
 

·
concussed
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
TBob said:
So I'm trying to figure out how lifting the suspension allows for bigger tires?
Your suspension unless you block the top off the strut will travel the same amount when fully articulated wether you lifted or not. All lifting would do that
I can see is if there were a rubbing problem it would be lessen because the suspension wouldn't get to the point of rubing as often - I'm I correct here?

Thanks,
TBob
why bother lifting at all?
get the sawzall-and trim to fit!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,349 Posts
stick a 44" Bogger next to your fender well and then you tell me why you need lift :) sorry just had to. but as far as everything else you mentioned is correct. but hell i dont worry about anymore, i cant even remember how IFS rides anymore, or the truck for that matter since i decided to tear it all apart again and change some stuff when i was broke
 

·
concussed
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
zszac111 said:
just put big ass tires on and let it self clearance :D
hee-hee,nice!
when the tires start coming thru the firewall at ya,look out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
LOL self clearance. Yeah try running a 33x15.50 tsl sx on 15x10's or 12's that will be self clearance.
 

·
Re-Member 9/11
Joined
·
292 Posts
TBob said:
so on that not - how will 33's clear with a 2" BL? If no replies I'll let you know on Monday :D
Right now I have a 2" BL and 2.5" of suspension, and I still occasionally rub when off roading. If all your putting on is 2" of body lift, I doubt you will leave it that way for long. IMO
Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
zszac111 said:
just put big ass tires on and let it self clearance :D
no man you need to go old school!! LOL!

...take a baseball bat and put it between the tire and the fender and drive forward letting the bat role the fender so it has a nice, even finish, not the hack job the tires will do to them self and the fender...OLD SCHOOL!
Hey LIL' Billy come hold this bat!! haha!

you can put bump stops and limiting straps on after that to keep the tires from rubbing the frame under suspension flex and steering! LOL!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,347 Posts
If I cared enough to get my truck aligned right I wouldn't rub with 33's and 4.5" of lift. Or am i missing what your saying? I'll prob be going to 35's once i need new tires. mmmm... zawzall+fenders=fun!

basicly say you add 2" of lift, you can toss on bigger tires that will bring you back to stock clearance between your truck and the tires. add more height and then you can add bigger tires.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top