TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I would think you would have to lift it pretty high to clear the toploading pumpkin. But with enough money, anything is possible.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
WhyHikeAU said:
why hasnt anyone tried rockwells for SAS. :D
Is it not possible?

i debated it a while back and decided that it was to much unsprung weight, the cost to build them is very little compared to say a D60 so pricing isnt to bad, unless you run the chromo axles which are around 1500 per side :eek: , and like said before their may be clearance issues with the pinion brake

·
Registered
369 Posts
The weight is a major issue with Rockwells.

·
Registered
343 Posts
WhyHikeAU said:
why hasnt anyone tried rockwells for SAS. :D
Is it not possible?
go to pirate4x4, there is a build up right now, a 4 runner doing rockwells, crawler, h1 beadlock wheels with 40" MTRs and a bunch of other chiat. tons of $$$$ all at once.

Oz.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
oztaco said:
go to pirate4x4, there is a build up right now, a 4 runner doing rockwells, crawler, h1 beadlock wheels with 40" MTRs and a bunch of other chiat. tons of $$$$ all at once.

Oz.

i would be damned if i only ran a 40 inch tire with those axles, hell i hate having 39.5's with my rear 60 that has been shaved. just seems to me like 44+" tires and 2 1/2 tons go good together. :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
zszac111 said:
i would be damned if i only ran a 40 inch tire with those axles, hell i hate having 39.5's with my rear 60 that has been shaved. just seems to me like 44+" tires and 2 1/2 tons go good together. :D
I thought i heard somewhere that you should run no less than 44" tires with rockwells.

Oz.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Nobody likes to run smaller than 44's because I think the highest gear you can get for rockwells is 6.72's And also the ground clearance issue. A friend of mine has a jeep with Rockwells and 52" Michellans (sp?) And the thing is still pretty low geared.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
oztaco said:

Oz.
He is doing mog axles, principle is the same though

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
WhyHikeAU said:
hey zac why you gettin rid of your dana 44 IS it not holding up too well? and are you gunna be a feb frenzy at grey rock?
MAtt
I havent had any problems with it and have thrashed the hell out of the truck, only things that have broke are 4 warn premiem hubs, so i dont run those anymore just run drive flanges, and one detroit locker that was taken out by the first hub that went,(detroit rep sent me replacement parts for free)since i figured all that out i have zero problems, however i just know with a 42" TSL that i would seriously be pushing the limits of the axle and dont really want to blow it to hell and back when i could sell it and atleast get a little money from it since it has some pretty nice parts in it and was completly rebuilt. as far as the greyrock ride goes, it depends if i get my exo/flatbed done by then, which means i have to finish up with my buddies bronco, bend all my stuff, cuss alot, drink many beers inbetween cusing fits :D and then start :welder: shit up

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
another problem is the brakes. running the stock brakes makes it to wide and heavy, so most people do pinion brakes. But I would't want to drive on the street with pinion brakes, having a 6.72 advantage on the wheels for braking could get a little twitchy! :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts