TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy an 07 Tacoma.

Why pay for a TRD when I can get a base truck double cab 6spd, lift it and put a locker in it in thousands cheaper?

A power outlet and skid plates?

Please let me know.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Seems like you answered your own question. The bilsteins are damn good shocks, but if you can just lift your truck and add them, you're ahead of the game.

Don't forget you get fender flares too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hmmmmm....let me think.

I already have a trailrig that gets me where I want to go off road. I wanted something a bit more than a base truck. I'll be 61 in a few more days and I'm tired of wrenching. I don't want a trailer queen. The E-locker paid off in spades day before yesterday. Something nice the wife likes to drive to yard sales and flea markets. What power outlet? Oh yeah....forgot it had one.

Just a few reasons off the top of my head. Good luck, whatever you do.

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
You get the different suspension set up, different seats, the skids, the badging, 16" wheels, the outlet, the E-locker instead of an air locker, and a front tow hook. If you can get the suspension, the locker, and better seats aftermarket for less, then I don't see why you WOULD get the trd package....Even though you would change the trd suspension out anywho.

·
Registered
414 Posts
rubberpants said:
If you can get the suspension, the locker, and better seats aftermarket for less, then I don't see why you WOULD get the trd package....Even though you would change the trd suspension out anywho.
Resale value, that's why.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Not sure about the new ones, but the older ones were worthless IMO. As soon as you lift it and add larger tires all you have left are the stickers and rear locker. So if a rear locker is worth the 3K or more to you, I guess its worth it. Im not sure what they have in the new models, but it used to be tires, fender flares, locker, better shocks, and stickers. Just consider how much the "TRD" stuff is and if its worth it to you. IMO as soon as you add a rear locker to a non "TRD", your truck will be just as capable offroad as the TRD. Thats the only reason I would pay extra. When I say extra, I mean maybe another 1000.00 because I have no use of the other things. I doubt I could ever get one for 1000.00 more than a non-TRD with simular equipment so I would never buy one again.

·
Registered
414 Posts
When I totalled my truck, they told me they'd pay for the oversize suspension and tires becase it was a TRD model, and technically, the TRD model comes with oversize suspension and tires; relative to the standard model.

·
Registered
947 Posts
You know, another possibility if they still offer it is to get the options you want. I bought a truck with the rear locker, color keyed fender flares, bilstein shocks, and 31" tires WITHOUT the TRD package a few years ago. All I was missing were the stickers on the side, and it was a couple of grand less than the TRDs that were available. It took several weeks for one to come up, but they found one. Im not sure if they do this with the new trucks, but its worth it if they do. Unless you just feel the need to say, "I have a TRD". Which brings on the chevy/ford/dodge lovers comments like, "what is a turd offroad version".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great info guys, thanks. I'm going to pick up a base v6 4x4 6spd access cab, lift it, tires, make a bumper and be happier then pig in shit.

There is that resale thing but hey, I plan on having this truck for 5+ years.

·
Registered
947 Posts
kancer said:
Great info guys, thanks. I'm going to pick up a base v6 4x4 6spd access cab, lift it, tires, make a bumper and be happier then pig in shit.

might have better resale, but you will pay more so it all even out. Good luck with it. I think you will for sure be happy. The money you will save will buy most of the stuff you plan to add to it too.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
jhunter said:
Not sure about the new ones, but the older ones were worthless IMO. As soon as you lift it and add larger tires all you have left are the stickers and rear locker. So if a rear locker is worth the 3K or more to you, I guess its worth it. Im not sure what they have in the new models, but it used to be tires, fender flares, locker, better shocks, and stickers. Just consider how much the "TRD" stuff is and if its worth it to you. IMO as soon as you add a rear locker to a non "TRD", your truck will be just as capable offroad as the TRD. Thats the only reason I would pay extra. When I say extra, I mean maybe another 1000.00 because I have no use of the other things. I doubt I could ever get one for 1000.00 more than a non-TRD with simular equipment so I would never buy one again.
I bought my truck used, and din't pay the markup of the trd package, so it's still worthless?

I'd rather have an electric locker, than the ARB that has the age old problem of leaking when cold...

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
kancer said:

The price difference between a non-trd taco and a trd taco isn't very much... (in terms of resale)

·
Registered
101 Posts
When I bought my TRD, I was looking for a v6 AC, Indigo ink pearl. I went to seven dealerships and no one had one but was quoted prices by all on new arrivals coming in. The last dealership i tried had one coming in the next day but with the TRD. I said no until he gave me the price, then I said yes. It was less than all the other dealers wanted for the non-trd. So it was definatly worth it for me. Shop around, you may get more than you bargained for.

·
Registered
414 Posts
NorcalPR said:
The price difference between a non-trd taco and a trd taco isn't very much... (in terms of resale)
The point I was making with resale value was adding parts to the truck.

It's the same thing as saying you could buy a Civic for $10,000, then put $30,000 into it, to kick a $40,000 Vette's ass.

The problems with this ricer bullshit reasoning are:

1) Try selling that Civic for anywhere near what you put into it and you'll be brought to tears.

2) You can finance a $40,000 Vette a hell of a lot easier than you can just pay $30,000 for after market parts.

The same principle applies here. Answer? By used.

·
Registered
947 Posts
NorcalPR said:
I bought my truck used, and din't pay the markup of the trd package, so it's still worthless?

I'd rather have an electric locker, than the ARB that has the age old problem of leaking when cold...
He is buying an new 07. If you can get a used one without paying additional, then yes its worth it. Hell, if you can get a new one for the same price or even just 1000.00 more than a non-trd its worth it. I said that already. Oh yea, the 250yzf was sweet... All they had was a used one, but it was in good shape and ran good.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts