TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 tacoma ext cab v-6 5 speed with the 6inch fabtech lift and 1inch RB body. I have 35 BFG MT on 15x10 wheels. I have 40K on the truck right now. Here is what i have... any where from 50-85 MPH I get some major shaking that shakes the whole truck. So when i start shaking i keep the speed and it will go away after a few sec to a min. So it is not speed related. the tires where ballanced and rotated about 2 weeks ago. But i have never had a problem with that before. It almost seems like it only does this on roads that are older. Could a rear shock that is shot cause this? I do not think it is the front steering.. i have new ES rack bushing kit and truck was just alligment 5K ago after i changed the bushings. Could shot front struts cause this? I am sure my passanger side rear shock is shot.. I looked at it the other day and it was leaking. thanks for any info

·
Registered
982 Posts
The tires are slightly out of balance, out of round, or both. Our suspension was not designed to control the dynamics of 35 inch tires, therefore any off balance in magnafied and transmitted to the whole truck. I'd suggest taking it to a shop that specializes in off road trucks and having them do a good dynamic balance on the tires. Also have them check for an out of round tire while thay are at it. Some folks buy the balancing beads that you put into the tires to help keep the big tires balanced at all speeds; some swear by the beads.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John Luttrell said:
The tires are slightly out of balance, out of round, or both. Our suspension was not designed to control the dynamics of 35 inch tires, therefore any off balance in magnafied and transmitted to the whole truck. I'd suggest taking it to a shop that specializes in off road trucks and having them do a good dynamic balance on the tires. Also have them check for an out of round tire while thay are at it. Some folks buy the balancing beads that you put into the tires to help keep the big tires balanced at all speeds; some swear by the beads.
\thanks ... well i took it in to discount just to start at the bottom of the list and had them redo the ballance this time lug centric and I also checked the play for wheel bearings and tie rods... and now the problem is gone.. Just goes to show sometimes even if all the cules don't make sense still start at the simple things and work up. it was the ballance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
lvbluetaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing