TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used the search function and nothing really answered this question.

Why do alot of expedition vehicle builds put 255/85 tires on their rigs? This seems pointless for an expedition vehicle especially when you air down these tires. They will have less of a surface area than a stock 265/70 (available on most TRD offroad editions). I would expect you would want a large surface area especially for somewhat heavy vehicles in soft sand/ mud. Also, I would think the stability of the vehicle is compromised by going with narrow tires and stock suspension. I have my theories as to why 255/85's are used

1) You gain more lift for the $ by on putting these tires with a stock suspension.
2) The tire weighs less than a standard 285/75.. gas mpg is conserved.

Any answer is greatly appreciated:)

·
Registered
366 Posts
The key advantages over its closest competitors (generally the 285/75), taller, lighter
less rubbing, fit stock 16" wheels and spares take up less room.

I don't agree that the 265/70 will have more surface area the the 255 when aired down. The contact patches will be different shaped. But the taller, the tire, 255, will have a longer contact patch and a 255 is hardly narrower than the 265.

Is it perfect for every condition, no. In deep mud and soft deep sand wider maybe better. Will it work well is most, yes.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I run on 235s! They don't rub anything and there is room for chains if you need them. I don't have time for shit that doesn't work. Air them down and you get a contact patch that is almost like running on tracks. I spent last spring and summer in Wyoming driving on the slickest mud roads you can imagine. Guys with wide tires were completely fucked on those roads. They gouged the roads all up and eventually went in the ditch. I did a lot of running on ice and snow too. You couldn't give me wide tires for driving where I drive. They work good for burning brush piles though.

Teryx

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
^ if I 'ave skinny tires...
does that preclude I 'ave a wee penis ? :eek:

will they hold air with a cow(sized)girl on board ?
she could 'ave large :boobies:

:dunno:

·
Registered
719 Posts
^ if I 'ave skinny tires...
does that preclude I 'ave a wee penis ? :eek:

will they hold air with a cow(sized)girl on board ?
she could 'ave large :boobies:

:dunno:
I did get E rated tires Dell, jus so I could haul the biggest titties I can find:D

Teryx

·
Registered
719 Posts
Surface area and floatation can suck a cock.
I went everywhere I wanted to on my old 10.5's.
This has certainly been my experience. 99% of the time when I stop going forward it's because I've lost traction, not because I've lost "flotation". I've never owned a wheeled vehicle that floated on anything. I guess others have :rolleyes:. The only question has been whether it could grip the surface it just crushed, and overcome the wall of shit in front of it. Narrow tires have much less crap building up in front of them. All the tractive force is concentrated behind a narrow front. I've also found that the narrower tires track better in slippery conditions with less tendency to crab around. I can maintain momentum and control better. I buy the tallest narrowest tires I can fit. The definition of "tire that fits" for me is the one that still allows the use of chains. Unfortunately, the 255/85 does not "fit" my truck. I can't imagine any "expeditionary vehicle" that gives up the possibility of using chains :dunno: I don't do expeditions though. I travel as a way of life.

Bigger and wider tires certainly do have applications on narrow focus vehicles like dune runners that arrive on a trailer, or tundra trucks.

I think probably the truest answer to the OP's question though is that people choose the 255/85-16 not because they have thought it through and proven it through experience. It's because they've read about it on a forum and followed the herd. ;)

Teryx

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
235/wut ? don't tell me you 'ave girlie tires :doh: :D
i was running 235 85 16's before my 35's and i also loved those damn tires. sure maybe everyone though i had a smaller weiner back them, but theyre all lookin at my 35's now and just wishing there penis was as HUGE as those tires made mine:eek:

·
Registered
719 Posts
235/wut ? don't tell me you 'ave girlie tires :doh: :D
Now, don't go trying to mount me Dell, jus because I got skinny tires :D.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Haha

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just Kidding.

These unintended links are dumb.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
i had a smaller weiner back them, but theyre all lookin at my 35's now and just wishing there penis was as HUGE as those tires made mine:eek:
reality check...

unless you came across 'da magic pill...
U likely still 'ave a wee one

and all those folk you think, are wishing...
are just being polite, so's you won't feel bad

·
Registered
418 Posts
255/85 because they are as tall or taller than the typical 33s. Typically cheaper than 285s and everyone has those. They don't scrub with my lift. I ve had 33x10.5r15 on 15x8s and 285/75r16 both which scrubbed the 255 brand New don't scrub except when doing things I shouldn't do to begin with. They also Weigh less than most all 33s. Meaning better fuel mileage for your dd. Fit on stock wheels well. Don't rub uca's like my 285s did. biggest reason I like them is bc they don't rub and weigh less. The flotation comment earlier I agree with bc it logically makes sense about less material to push through but if you are stuck you are stuck. Momentum traction and ground clearance make you go places in my experience .

My four wheeler floats great with 25x13.5s on the rear. I hope my tacoma will never need to float. I did however pull out my brothers 4x4 powerstroke twice in front of all our drunk friends after conquering the hole twice before him and a cj7 got burried in. They now don't say anything ab my little tacoma.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I agree with the guy that said floating is bs. My rig has never floated over mud sand or snow, nor have i seen any of my buddies rigs do that. Im sure it happens, but not on the size tires we are trying to fit on here. I went with 255/85/16 because they kick ass on the street, great in the snow, and they are the biggest tire i can fit on this thing. Alos you can use the stock rim. Narrow tires FTW.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I agree with the guy that said floating is bs. My rig has never floated over mud sand or snow, nor have i seen any of my buddies rigs do that. Im sure it happens, but not on the size tires we are trying to fit on here. I went with 255/85/16 because they kick ass on the street, great in the snow, and they are the biggest tire i can fit on this thing. Alos you can use the stock rim. Narrow tires FTW.
my 35 12.5's can float on the snow, but it depends on the conditions of the snow forsure. the bad part is when your floating on about 5-6 feet of snow and you suddenly drop about 3.5 feet down. it happened to me once before i had my winch and it took hours to dig enough snow out to get my truck to be able to plow the snow away with my bumpers

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
floating on about 5-6 feet of snow and you suddenly drop about 3.5 feet down. it happened to me once
U must'a slowed down... or stopped :doh: :flipoff4:

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
U must'a slowed down... or stopped :doh: :flipoff4:
nope there was a ....little....hill that the front it toughed before the whole truck sank. i got fuck to come out of my mouth before my truck dropped all the way down. happened fast

1 - 20 of 30 Posts