TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a issue with my brakes recently whenever I slow to a stop, sometimes I can feel my brakes grab hard just for a split second. one time I was actually going slow enough that when it grabbed it locked up my tires...but we are talking under 5mph. I have only noticed it when I am going slow or slowing to a stop. also I have been noticing that between my 1-2 upshift the brake light comes on in the dash. only for a second though. by the time I have gotten all the way into 2nd gear it is off.

I have check the fluid....all seems fine there. I also do need new brake all the way around. just wondering if this is a quirky way of letting me know that my brakes need replacing.

Maximus

·
Registered
104 Posts
What year and how old are the rotors? You may have a warped rotor causing it to bind on the pad at a particular spot, which would be noticable at low speeds and not really at high. I would pull the tires and take a look at the rotors for anything obvious. You did mention that the pads need to be replaced, possibly uneven wear from warped rotor as well. Pull them and take a look and see what looks to be the problem. Tough to pinpoint from the description but I don't think I would start troubleshooting the master cylinder or booster quite yet, take a look at the general condition lines and calipers as well, always a good idea when your looking at the brakes. Possibly the parking brake needs to be adjusted as well? Just trying to give you some ideas. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ewood said:
What year and how old are the rotors? You may have a warped rotor causing it to bind on the pad at a particular spot, which would be noticable at low speeds and not really at high. I would pull the tires and take a look at the rotors for anything obvious. You did mention that the pads need to be replaced, possibly uneven wear from warped rotor as well. Pull them and take a look and see what looks to be the problem. Tough to pinpoint from the description but I don't think I would start troubleshooting the master cylinder or booster quite yet, take a look at the general condition lines and calipers as well, always a good idea when your looking at the brakes. Possibly the parking brake needs to be adjusted as well? Just trying to give you some ideas. Good luck.

Thanks for your input. It very well coulb be that...I haven't really checked anything. Has only been happening for about 2 weeks and doesnt do it all the time. I don't feel anything in the pedal unless it grabs....i know generally if it is something like warped rotors that I would probably feel it all the time...but I wouldn't count it out yet either.

My truck is a 2000 ext.cab v6, 5spd, TRD. i have 75k on it with all original brake/rotors...etc.

thanks again...

Maximus

·
Registered
7 Posts
Taco rear brakes suck!

My current tacoma is the second one I have owned and my only complaint are the rear drums. I don't know if this is what you are talking about........... My first tacoma was a 98 with 80k on it and the rear e-brake levers were seized on it. This would cause the rear brakes to lock up all the time. I then had the problem when I bought my 01 with 50K. I made the dealer replace the rear e-brake levers. I Then filled the boots surrounding the levers with synthetic grease and worked it in. I use the parking brake every day to ensure it stays free. This might be yer problem.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Another idea I had was on brakes like tractors and stuff, kinda like a drum brake, sometimes they get moisture or glazing in them and then they grab when you hit the pedal. If this happens on them you do something called burnishing, you drive in a middle gear not too fast and press the brake until you feel a slight pull, it burninshes the brake... whether or not this is a good idea on a tacoma, i dont know but it works on forklifts and tractors, but maybe its cause of their different brake style or whatnot i dont know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts