TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a fire fighter that uses my personal vehicle to respond to emergencies. I installed a Whelen UHF 2150 headlight flasher and wired it exactly as instructed for Neg (-) swithced headlights. The headlights work just as they did in stock form, both hi and low beams work and function properly with the flasher installed. The headlight flasher will only flash the hi beams when the low beams are on. Is there any trick to wire the flasher so that the hi beams will flash without having to turn on my headlights?

·
Row Row Row your Boat
1,632 Posts
while I ave not personally installed one of these kits, I would bet that there is a wire that goes to the low beam side. this would act like a safety switch.
When I wired up my spot lights they had that, if this is the case, you should be able to bypass this wire, and the wigwags would work with out the low beams on. if you can find the wire, then try unpluging it from the lights, and send it striaght to the batt or other 12v source.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Captain J said:
I would bet that there is a wire that goes to the low beam side. this would act like a safety switch.
That or wire it up to the parking lamps in the fuse box... Gee he should know better then to just have headlights only... Tail lights would be a bright idea since he's a first emergency responder (hmmm...)... suck if he caused an accident while responding to an incident... JMO

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I haven't wired up a wig wag but I have heard about how the lows have to be on and then it switches the ground for the high beam (I think). I have noticed that when I pull the lever to flash the highs it first turns the low on and then quickly flips to high. Honestly from what I can understand you would have to do some custom installation as far as wiring it up, IE finding the positive at each light and tapping into the power source. Wrooster would know more about it that stuff than I would.

Tacodell, I'm sure he wouldn't just have his headlights on responding to a night emergency. He's probably trying to figure this out for daytime use. If you were to drive down a dark road with just the high beams flashing one at a time you'd probably get a headache. As far as taillights, he probably has warning lights in the back even if he had his parking lights off. On my taillight flasher when the flasher is activated it actually disables the tail lights and just flashes the brake lights...bright-off-bright is more noticeable than bright-dim-bright.

And LarryStew, once you get it all working be sure and take pics and vids and post it up in the strobes section: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47317&highlight=strobes

·
Registered
338 Posts
How about puting on some LED warning lights on your truck. I do a lot of driving and I usually stop to help lesser vehicles, so I've got them on my truck.
They use hardly any power and won't take away from your headlights. They are small, super bright, selfcontained units with multiple flash patterns.

·
Registered
369 Posts
CNADNtacoma said:
How about puting on some LED warning lights on your truck. I do a lot of driving and I usually stop to help lesser vehicles, so I've got them on my truck.
They use hardly any power and won't take away from your headlights. They are small, super bright, selfcontained units with multiple flash patterns.
Pics? Some link to what you got???
thanks

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
LED video

Here is a shot of my LEDs. Iv'e got 2 more above the step bars and 2 on the back bumper.

LED link

the clicking sound is from the camera not the LEDs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts