TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its halfway through the quarter now and its time to start cranking out projects, papers, mid-terms along with the regular HW. On Monday, i took my EHR mid-term which i studied my ass off for and did okay 80%. One of my class mates kicked the shit out of everybody in the class, I mean 100% on the mid term. He took some caffeine pills the night before and only slept for 2 hours before the exam and he seemed ok. Now running on 2 hours of sleep for the day would make my life 10x easier. I accidently overslept for 6 hours before the mid term and felt okay but that guy looked like he got like 10 hrs of sleep. So has anybody ever tried caffeine pills or somethin else to keep them awake? I got 2 more mid terms and a quiz on thursday so i'm gonna need to be up for a while. I tried the Monster energy drinks before on my exam at the beginning of the quarter and it wasn't that much of a great feeling. I was fully awake but couldn't concentrate for shit. TIA for any help :)

·
Registered
947 Posts
I could not do it. I did better on that kind of stuff when I got some sleep. 7 hours or more. I studied every chance to get in order to keep from having to stay up til 5, and take a test at 8. Not for me. If your brain will work on no sleep, and taking these pills, go for it. Everyone is different.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Doesn't sound like a good plan to me. Although I never once stressed out about finals and very rarely studied for anything. I don't think my job even asked what my grades were.

**Of course I'm not encouraging you to be mediocre. Do your best and good luck.

·
Registered
290 Posts
5vzfe said:
Well its halfway through the quarter now and its time to start cranking out projects, papers, mid-terms along with the regular HW. On Monday, i took my EHR mid-term which i studied my ass off for and did okay 80%. One of my class mates kicked the shit out of everybody in the class, I mean 100% on the mid term. He took some caffeine pills the night before and only slept for 2 hours before the exam and he seemed ok. Now running on 2 hours of sleep for the day would make my life 10x easier. I accidently overslept for 6 hours before the mid term and felt okay but that guy looked like he got like 10 hrs of sleep. So has anybody ever tried caffeine pills or somethin else to keep them awake? I got 2 more mid terms and a quiz on thursday so i'm gonna need to be up for a while. I tried the Monster energy drinks before on my exam at the beginning of the quarter and it wasn't that much of a great feeling. I was fully awake but couldn't concentrate for shit. TIA for any help :)
They allow you to stay up longer,give some energy...but once thats all done you crazh and your so damn tired.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
it depends on your body.... caffeine is a drug, and too much of it can potentially kill you and ruin organs.... your body can only process so much of it at a time.... its actually rather caustic.... it will speed up your heart rate... some peopel can handle that, some cant... it will make you jittery. i have add, or had it, but i find caffeine drinks actually help me concentrate, especially if im in a position where i wouldnt be awake otehrwise.... i dont get enough or much sleep because i work in the early am hours and try to sleep some during the day, but im also a student.... i am now only taking 1 class a week, but its all day on wednesdays.... and right after i get off work....

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
jimbo74 said:
it depends on your body.... caffeine is a drug, and too much of it can potentially kill you and ruin organs.... your body can only process so much of it at a time.... its actually rather caustic.... it will speed up your heart rate... some peopel can handle that, some cant... it will make you jittery. i have add, or had it, but i find caffeine drinks actually help me concentrate, especially if im in a position where i wouldnt be awake otehrwise.... i dont get enough or much sleep because i work in the early am hours and try to sleep some during the day, but im also a student.... i am now only taking 1 class a week, but its all day on wednesdays.... and right after i get off work....
Caffeine is not caustic.
Caffeine won't kill you as fast as grapefruit juice.
For reference, it would take approximately 30 cups of coffee to get the same hypertensive response as 1 cigarette.
Is it good for you? Like everything else, too much of it- No.

Eat an apple, or an orange, or snort coke. Whatever.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
caffeine is not caustic itself, however its the overload it causes to your kidneys and the possible failure thereafter. it is a drug, and if your body cant filter it, then it starts deteriorating itself, and fails....

as far as what it does to your heart, 1 day i needed to stay awake, i drank about 40 ounces of energy drinks and 3 vivarin pills, i was awake, but my heart actually hurt that day, i feel that i had arrhythmia... ever so often i got a stabbing pain in the middle of my chest, hitting myself in the chest made it feel better and go away for awhile

also with energy drinks, caffeine dehydrates you, the fact that the caffeine drinks are laoded with sugar or artificail sweetner is also not a good thing... if you dont drink lots of water, it they can send you into severe dehydration, possibly requiring medical attention

·
Registered
947 Posts
back when I was a freaking moron in high school, I took several things called "mini thins" or something like that. If you want to stay up for 3-4 days straight, try some of those bad boys. Never took another pill in my life after that.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
In high school I drank 6 cups of coffee every morning, super saturated with sugar, then chugged over a piece of ice. It was gov't issued coffee too. By the time noon came around, my heart was beating like a drum and I couldn't possibly sit still, not to mention the nausea. In college I tried minithins, mah huang (sp?) pills, mountain dew (sometimes with the pills), red bull etc. I never slept well in college, ever. I'd stay up till 2AM or later, then take my genetics 301 test at 8AM. God damn I hated that, but fuck it I was having too much fun otherwise lol.

Now I'm fine, and I don't drink a damn thing. I stay up till midnight, get up at 6AM, and I'm relatively fine throughout the day minus the afternoon lull around 3PM, which hurts everyone.

Meh, I assume you're young. You'll be fine. Do whatcha gotta do.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Drink a beverage high in B vitamins. Specifically, B2, B3, B5, B6, and B12 are the ones that wake you up. Because they are vitamins, they don't have the addicting qualities that caffeine has. Caffeine is bad because of how addicting it is. Sure, a pill once in a while is okay, but once you build up a tolerance, you will need a pill everyday despite 8+ hours of sleep.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
jhunter said:
back when I was a freaking moron in high school, I took several things called "mini thins" or something like that. If you want to stay up for 3-4 days straight, try some of those bad boys. Never took another pill in my life after that.

lol, mini thins....I remember them...and the white crosses.

·
Registered
606 Posts
(Flexion) said:
Drink a beverage high in B vitamins. Specifically, B2, B3, B5, B6, and B12 are the ones that wake you up. Because they are vitamins, they don't have the addicting qualities that caffeine has. Caffeine is bad because of how addicting it is. Sure, a pill once in a while is okay, but once you build up a tolerance, you will need a pill everyday despite 8+ hours of sleep.

If you want a drink with those vitamins in it, drink a slim fast. I drank one the other morning and about an hour after I got a buzz from hell :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
0stepside3 said:
If you want a drink with those vitamins in it, drink a slim fast. I drank one the other morning and about an hour after I got a buzz from hell :D
So does Rockstar, except Rockstars have 160mg of caffeine (equivalent to about five 12oz Coca Colas) and 50mg of Guarana with it, too.

I love Rockstars, they taste somewhat good. Just dont ever try Monster Khaos, it's enough to make you vomit.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
If you can't get enough sleep, you want to make sure that you are getting proper nutrition(drink lots of juice and take a half a vitamin in the morning with breakfast, and the other half at night with dinner). You'll also want to try to do some cardio exercise during the day to get some endorphins flowing in your body(which make you feel more awake and happier). Don't go too too overboard with the exercise though, or you'll fall asleep in your books when studying(This was me in college since I was a hardcore track runner doing 50+ hard miles a week).

Go for a 1 or 2 mile run each day or every other day if you can and maybe do a few sprints, and that will probably make you feel pretty juiced. It also helps give you discipline and is a nice way to work off stress and get your mind off something other than the studying, so you can come back to the books relaxed and focused.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
When I was playing bass in one of the punk bands I was in, back in high school...I used to take a few pills before shows...man was I able to pick and fingerpick SUPER fast. I was fast, but that shit made my hands quiver...the bad part was after the show I couldn't get my heart to stop pounding. Not good for a guy with heart probs.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nothing keeps you up Than a ECA stack.. which is Ephedra,cafiene,and asprin...holy shit!. Also Those Bumble bee pills they got at the gas station work alright as well. But now a days i just take those 5 hour energy shots,you dont crash and they work almost instantly...jjust like the comercial says.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Hell yeah they'll fuck you up!

...Didn't you ever see that episode of Saved By The Bell where Jessie was addicted to NoDoz?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
jhunter said:
lol doesnt that say something? LOL

i would refer back to the Whey Protein thread. I would say its all about your diet. If you started working out you would have an incredible amount of energy. I know i had been working out for 3 years straight, then when i moved to FL i quit for 6 months and felt like shit. Very sluggish.

I reccomend GNC mega men vitamins. I can personally feel a boost in my day when i take them. And also, of your looking for caffeine, pick up a tube of Noexplode!

forget that fake shit you crash after

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
20 Participants
5vzfe
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing