TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K I think I got my setup figured out but I was wondering if it'd rub. I was gonna get the 3" Toyotec OME kit with a 2.5" AAL, 33/12.50/15, on a 15x8 rim with 3.75" of backspacing. Would that rub really bad? Would a 1" BL fix it if it did?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yes it will rub and no 1" won't prevent all the rubbing when at full lock or flex. Some cutting will help. I ran 285's (which are narrower) and still rubbed with 3"s of lift.

·
---------------
3,569 Posts
Jeffro8504 said:
K I think I got my setup figured out but I was wondering if it'd rub. I was gonna get the 3" Toyotec OME kit with a 2.5" AAL, 33/12.50/15, on a 15x8 rim with 3.75" of backspacing. Would that rub really bad? Would a 1" BL fix it if it did?
Yep...it will rub and the BL won't alleviate it. The width of the tire will cause it to rub the frame and possible the pinch weld when at full turn - you will also probably rub along your rear fenders if you still have the flares on - Body lift will help this a bit, but not much...besides, body lifts are the :xdevil:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
should I get rid of the 33s I bought and just get 32s then? And how much power loss is there between 31s and 32s maybe I can get by without gearing? If I did decide to go with 33s how much of a lift would I need and would it be under $600?

·
---------------
3,569 Posts
Jeffro8504 said:
should I get rid of the 33s I bought and just get 32s then? And how much power loss is there between 31s and 32s maybe I can get by without gearing? If I did decide to go with 33s how much of a lift would I need and would it be under $600?
Well you can run the 33's with the lift you have, but it will rub when you go wheelin' and at full turn (both wheelin' and street driving). Assuming you have 4.10 gears, there is a bit of loss from 31's to 32's and more still when going from 31's to 33's. I have 33's and still have the stock 4.10 gears. Sure, there's some loss in power, felt mostly during highway driving and especially on hills, but for me it's tolerable.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm running 33x12.50's on 15x8 wheels, that need a 1/4 inch spacer up front ( :eek: ), with a 2-ish inch suspension and 2 inch body lift on my 97. It does rub on compression while wheeling, climbing the occasional rock and sometimes on uneven terrain, also when pulling into some parking lots (left turns where speed is a bit higher). I don't have any problems with rubbing while turning corners (regular driving) or even tight turns into parking spots. I did have to remove a bit of the plastic in the fender and beat on the pinch weld a bit...

My body lift is ripping out the body mounts, just a word of caution before going out and getting one...

All trucks are different though, so if your set on the 33's see how bad they rub, and get the appropriate body lift. That is, if you're willing to deal with the headaches they can cause.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the rubbing you get tolerable or is it way annoying and you wish you had smaller tires? I don't hear good things about body lifts and you don't seem to like them either. Right now I have 31/10.50/15 Wildcat LTs and when I set the 33/12.50/15 wildcat EXTs next to those they don't look too much different heighth wise, but the width is noticable. I've notice people say rubbing also depends on the tire size. My 31s only mease 29" from top to bottom on stock 7" wide rims. Should I do body lift and 33s or just supsension and 32s?

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Just do suspension and 32's. It's better to have a rig that has the right size tire and not rub, then a larger tire that rubs...

It's not really nesicary to run 33's anyways. You get more wear on your components and you'll rub. Is it worth it?

Shoot, even on my old truck I rubbed with 32's, but I found that running the caster as low as Toyota will allow it (around 1.3) will keep the tire form hanging up on the pinch weld. The tire I have now is a little bit larger than 32, and I'm only running 2.5" of lift, and I'ma mile away form the pinch weld...

·
Registered
78 Posts
audiofreak97 said:
I'm running 33x12.50's on 15x8 wheels, that need a 1/4 inch spacer up front ( :eek: ), with a 2-ish inch suspension and 2 inch body lift on my 97. It does rub on compression while wheeling, climbing the occasional rock and sometimes on uneven terrain, also when pulling into some parking lots (left turns where speed is a bit higher). I don't have any problems with rubbing while turning corners (regular driving) or even tight turns into parking spots. I did have to remove a bit of the plastic in the fender and beat on the pinch weld a bit...
What backspace are the wheels?
What brans tires are they?
When you say rub, where does it? Frame, control arm, etc.
Thanks.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It only really rubs bad off road, but I can tolerate it. It seems to be worse on the drivers side (famous drivers side lean), but it really only does it on full compression (catching a little air :D) and near full turn on compression. I also forgot to say that I'm running with the sway-bar disconnected!

As for running 33's and a body lift or 32's, that's up to you. I don't want to be the one to blame if you don't like the results :) I don't really regret doing the body lift, but some/most people do. I would suggest really searching this out before you put money into it...

To give you an idea of how close they get... I believe it has a few more cm before it reaches the bumpstop...

Sorry for the sizes... I'm too lazy to try to remember how to resize the

·
Registered
340 Posts
tacomawheeler98 said:
What backspace are the wheels?
What brans tires are they?
When you say rub, where does it? Frame, control arm, etc.
Thanks.
I honestly don't remember what the backspacing is. I'll have to go look in my overflowing glove box tomorrow. I know I've posted it somewhere before, I just don't remember, sorry.
The tires were, 33x12.50R15LT Futura Dakota's, and are now 33x12.50R15LT *cough* Walmart Super Sports *cough* :eek:
Rubbing check out the pictures in my last post to get an idea of where... It is just the back of the drivers side wheel well. Most of the rubbing is on the drivers side now due to the auto clearance on the passenger side...

:lmao:

·
Registered
8,499 Posts

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Jeffro8504 said:

I'm running 285/75/16's (33.1" actual) on Wheeler steelies... at 4" BS... also a 1" Crawler BL (Wouldn't go more then that) ... I get a slight rub on the frame at full lock... mostly the drivers side :dunno:... I had to work the pinch weld area/hammer work and trim a bit of the flare away... It still rubs at say 3/4 turn under full compression (But only at that point)... I also recessed the screws that mount the flares so there's less to catch on... So far it's been liveable... Just a little noise and scuff on the paint surfaces of the flare's inner surfaces... The rear rubs on the forward trailing edge of the fender flare... But the recessed screws help here as well... I'd think with the 33/15's it would be a few 16ths less (nominally) and should rub a little less then the 285's... Keep in mind I don't haul ass... and wheel sanely (thanks to my low gearing)... But usually obtain full flex on most of my trail runs... Though it rubs some... It's not hurting anything but my ears maybe... I could do some more trimming to get it to be almost clear... But I want to keep my flares intact... so screw it... let er rub... As far as the BL... Well to each their own... If yer hauling ass and getting air... I wouldn't install one... But for my needs and my driving style... It works for me... I don't rub on the street no matter how hard I hit anything including driveways or other uneven road surfaces... With a little more trimming of the pinchweld/flare area... I will have gotten rid of the majority of it... same for the rear... Is it worth it... well yah... If yer geared like me... :D

Goin to 33... Is going to make you wish for the gears to go along with them ;)...

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Jeffro8504 said:
yes, and sort of.
some rub with 33x12.50s and 6" of lift so take that into consideration ;)

with the OME kit you will definitely rub with only 3" and will still rub with the added inch of a BL but not too bad....pinchweld mod and some trimming will take care of it.

regear for those tires?? ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
audiofreak97 said:
Lower ball joint bolts dissapeared on me...
didn't use Locktite...did you. :rolleyes:

lucky that didn't happen on the hwy.
We had something like 7 rigs in Norcal a few yrs back have the lowers let go like that until we figured out the problem...o well, live and learn. ;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yeah, I've read many posts about this problem, just never went about checking them. :shiner: But atleast I knew exactly what happened, when it happened :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I think I'll have to go with the 32s. I'd rather have room to flex and no rub and no body lift! Thanks for all the info everybody. Now if I were to get rid of my 33s and buy 32s what kind of gears should I get? Should I get 4.56 instead of 4.88s? I haul quads all summer and this is my daily driver as well as my wheeler.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
About this Discussion
46 Replies
20 Participants
tacomawheeler98
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing