TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, can I install OEM shackles from a 91, ext cab V6 on my 96 ext. cab V6 Tacoma?

I was planning on switching my broken rear leafs with a used set from a 91 but I have extended shackles (1.5") already on my 96 which may give me more lift then I need. I was hoping the stock shackels and springs from the 91 would fit and give me the 2.5" of lift I need. Maybe the used 91 springs have flatted enough that my extended shackles will work and level out the rear?

Any comments or suggestion?

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
measure the width of the two different set of spings and that should give you your answer.

I doubt that the bolt diameter has changed any so that should be the same between year models.

I built my rear shackles using my Toyota springs…but the rear springs are actually from a chevy so really the shackle really doesn't matter as long as the leaf spring width is the same or at least narrower. If they are too narrow. you can use washers inside the shackle for spacers. not the best solution, but one that will work.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the C-C distance on the eyes are the same. The spring arch is larger on the 91 though which should give me 2.5" of lift from stock. If I use my extended shackles with this set up it may give me too much lift in the rear.

I'm hoping the 91 OEM shackles will be very similar to my 96 OEM shackles (which I toseed along time ago when I originally installed the lift).

The springs should be here tomorrow so I guess I will find out soon enough it it works or not. Hoefully I'll get her done this weekend.

Thank's for the quick reply!

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Well if need be, I think I still have my stock shackles off my '97 ( I just need to hunt for them) Let me know how things turn out or if you need another set of stock shackles.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Bear.......You don't have your stock shackles.......they are under my truck LOL

As far as the issue at hand.......The stock leaves off the 91 will bolt right onto your 96.

I am running 91 pickup leaves and stock tacoma shackles on my 97.......they were really high mile leaves when i put them on and I ended up with roughly 2" of lift.......they ride good and flex out really nice.

I do not think that the 91 era shackles will work on the Tacoma though......I think that the frame is too wide on the tacoma.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
:confused: No wonder I can't find them:D

I guess you are right, I forgot about giving them to you!

to the o/p…nevermind. I don't have the stocks any longer!

Old age moment Sorry!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank's for the advise guys!

The springs actualy just arrived at my house. I will inspect them tonight. I may have to source out some OEM shackles for the swap.

I will let you guys know how this works out for me.

Any one here in Calgary with a old set of Taco OEM shackles they could part with for a resonable price?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts