TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering since im doing the grey wire mod that i want to unplug the battery and if in doing so will it lock anything up? i have a stock tacoma with stock radio and everything and has an alarm that came with it..because i know that my brother with his truck..(which isnt a tacoma) but when he unplugged his battery it locked up his radio and something else and had to go to the dealership and have them put in some code to make it work..some anti-theft device..

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
toubabokoomi said:
i was wondering since im doing the grey wire mod that i want to unplug the battery and if in doing so will it lock anything up? i have a stock tacoma with stock radio and everything and has an alarm that came with it..because i know that my brother with his truck..(which isnt a tacoma) but when he unplugged his battery it locked up his radio and something else and had to go to the dealership and have them put in some code to make it work..some anti-theft device..
Doesn't do anything to mine except erase the radio presets.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I know what you are talking about. I worked on this girl`s car and when I disconnected the battery we couldn`t get the radio to play without the code. She had hers written down somewhere so after finally finding it we got it to work.
Like Matt said, won`t do anything to the tacos except erase radio presets.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I disconnected the battery when changing my power steering pump and I never lost my radio station presets, go figure.

·
Registered
169 Posts
toubabokoomi said:

That is an antitheft feature on GM radios.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
wont hurt anything. you only need a code if the factory radio has an antitheft system that makes you enter a code unique to that radio to make it work. I havent seen toyota do this yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you are worried about losing any memory or settings, make a memory saver. Go to Radio Shack and get yourself a connector for a 9 volt battery, a plug for a cigarette light and a 9 volt battery. Connect it all together paying attention to the polarities, and plug it in the power port or cigarette lighter. It will give you enough voltage to save any memory settings. I have to use this every time on my wifes VW. There are 5 different computers in that car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts