TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone feel like helping me change out my front axle-shafts this weekend. I noticed both of the inner CV boots starting to crack so I want to switch 'em out before the meltdown. This will be my virgin attempt at changing these bad boys out and having someone who's been there would be killer. Either day works for me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I changed out an axle-shaft the other day for the first time, it was actually pretty easy. I jacked one side up at a time, that was I didn't loose any dif lube. The only trouble a had was I broke one of the lower ball-joint bolts due to rust (lots of salt up here) but was able to get it out with a pair of visegripes. I also broke my stabilizer bar link (also seized after 12 years and 240,000 miles). However I learned for next time to undo the link from the bottom ball joint side, instead of trying to pull the stabilizer bar of the top.
Really though, I wouldn't worry about doing it, as it was pretty easy.
I would help, but it would be quite a drive.

Check out this link if you haven't already:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/cv_axle/

Shawn

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Dunk said:
Where in socal are ya man? Ive done 1 or 2 of these;)
C'mon... SoCal is a tiny place. He is probably only 5 minutes down the road from you..... :D If you are near HB, I have done this before, also. I guess it depends on how far you want to drive. Anyway, there are lots of guys here, from SD(Wes) to LA(Showstop) and a few of us scattered inbetween. It's pretty simple once you see it done.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
rojodiablo said:
C'mon... SoCal is a tiny place. He is probably only 5 minutes down the road from you..... :D It's pretty simple once you see it done.

LMAO.. ya IM sure hes just around the corner. I live in Yuciapa.. but Im not really willing to drive too far. As you say there are tons of us scattered throughout the area:) It is simple.. manual hubs take slightly longer but still no biggie.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm down in Ocean Beach SD. I was thinking of doing the driving so it's not a big deal to me. The more I research this the more it makes me want to just bust it myself. Guess I could post up if I run into trouble but the write-up is quite complete. We'll se what happens but if I do decide to drive it I think HUntington would be quickest. Where is Yucaipa anyway?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
freejake3 said:
I'm down in Ocean Beach SD. I was thinking of doing the driving so it's not a big deal to me. The more I research this the more it makes me want to just bust it myself. Guess I could post up if I run into trouble but the write-up is quite complete. We'll se what happens but if I do decide to drive it I think HUntington would be quickest. Where is Yucaipa anyway?
Off the 10 east almost to beumont/banning area.. right after Redlands. BFE basically..lol

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
freejake3 said:
Anyone feel like helping me change out my front axle-shafts this weekend. I noticed both of the inner CV boots starting to crack so I want to switch 'em out before the meltdown. This will be my virgin attempt at changing these bad boys out and having someone who's been there would be killer. Either day works for me.
Last time I helped someone...
They found out that they had to do all the work...
I just gave instructions... ;)
They forgot to bring the courtesy Beer... :shame: LOL

Oh and some helpers already have their own beer... so a little cash donation is always a friendly gesture... ;)

Hint... If you go see Paul (Rojodiablo) in Huntington Beach... He knows his shiat but is usually the one offering you a beer (His are colder :D )... He's very hands on and will probably leave you standing there holding yer beer feeling useless... LOL... so a cash donation will help better for his restocking costs... Though he is too nice to say so... he he...

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
please make sure to use locktite on the 4 lower ball joint bolts when you are putting them back in. we don't want your next post to be that you front end fell apart.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I'd help but have to go to nor cal this weekend, i'm in PB. if you really need help and are going to drive take drabnor up on his offer. he is probly closest and is not too much of a dick:D
Mike

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the heads up Cooper. ALready got the socket and my blue threadlock. I'm going to try this myself-how hard can it be. In fact, compared to my 'ol lady's '95 Runner it's way easier. Appreciate all the info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
freejake3
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing