TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The red power wire for my winch on the battery end basically rotted off due to piss poor battery maintence by me. What would the best way to repair this be? I know i have to cut the rotted end off and find some good copper, then what is the best way to attach the new end to the wire? I do not have a big ass crimper and am not going to buy one since i dont do wireing all that often, and it will have to be repaired in the truck since my selenoid box is not easially removeable. Could i just solder the connector on there? What would be the best way, i obviously dont want to burn my truck to the ground while winching.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
You can crimp the connector by just hammering it on with a blunt object. After its on there pretty securely, you can take a torch and some solder to it to finalize the connection.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Some auto parts and battery shops have a cable crimping service and can make the cable length you'll need... at a reasonable cost.

I had to make longer cables due to my stretch to my aux. batt.
so I made my own using a punch as a crimp tool and soldered using a torch.

Guess it just depends if you have the necessary tools and don't mind a little effort.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some auto parts and battery shops have a cable crimping service and can make the cable length you'll need... at a reasonable cost.

I had to make longer cables due to my stretch to my aux. batt.
so I made my own using a punch as a crimp tool and soldered using a torch.

Guess it just depends if you have the necessary tools and don't mind a little effort.
Ill probibly just crimp it with a punch, and solder it on there and go that route.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
west marine will do the crimping if you have one near you. or like you said to it with a blunt punch down the center

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts