TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Happy, Happy, Happy
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
buying a new winch and have 2 options. 100' of cable with roller fairlead or 80' of cable with a hawse fairlead. suggestions?

BTW- I know this probably isnt the best section but there isnt a recovery section

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
When I got my M8000 w/ 100' and a roller, it was on sale and was actually $60 cheaper than the 80' and hawse.

but if they're regular price and you're planning on swapping in synth line then there's no sense in paying for the xtra 20' of cable and a roller fairlead. If you're keeping the cable then Id go with the 100' and roller.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I run roller and steel wire on the Heep's 8274, since I use it so hard and frequently; weight doen't matter as much on that vehicle as it will on yours.

I recently put synthetic [because I got it free] with an aluminum hawse on my multi-mount setup, and it cut the weight from ~125# to about 85#. It is much easier to handle, although I have still yet to use it.

Like the other poster said, if you plan on synthetic in the future, there is no benefit to the roller; if you plan on sticking with steel, the extra 20' and roller is the only way to go.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Even if you are planing on going with synthetic later, you may end up changing the hawse fairlead out anyway. Reason is that the steel cable may cut into the hawse. These small gouges will shred a synthetic line to peices.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Interex
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing