TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you can help me out. i just recently put a Warn M8000 on the fron of my 96 tacoma. i have noticed a great drain on the battery when useing the winch. do any of you have any ideas how to keep the winch from draining the battery so much. i have put a yellow top optima in the truck and that helped some but i would still like to get it better if possible. i have thought about dual battery's( where would i put the second battery ) an isolator but that only works with the dual battery set-up. and i have thought about a bigger alternator ( once agian where would i put it) i read in the fourms about getting my alternator rebiult to a bigger amp output is that something common that i may be able to get done here in my home town? any suggestions would be helpful thanks all!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey, I haven't had any problems with my M8000 and 2001. So I don't really know. The only thing I can think of, to help for now, is to just rev the engine while winching, should keep it from draining as much.

·
Dean
2,585 Posts
Squeaky96 said:
I was wondering if any of you can help me out. i just recently put a Warn M8000 on the fron of my 96 tacoma. i have noticed a great drain on the battery when useing the winch. do any of you have any ideas how to keep the winch from draining the battery so much. i have put a yellow top optima in the truck and that helped some but i would still like to get it better if possible. i have thought about dual battery's( where would i put the second battery ) an isolator but that only works with the dual battery set-up. and i have thought about a bigger alternator ( once agian where would i put it) i read in the fourms about getting my alternator rebiult to a bigger amp output is that something common that i may be able to get done here in my home town? any suggestions would be helpful thanks all!
I installed the yellow top and a larger alternator... you still need to keep the rpm up if you are winching hard. that winch draws a lot of amps.

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
you could install a second battery in your truck bed toolbox or just under your bed.
I am going to run a setup like that.
I am running a RED Top for starting and a YellowTop for the winch and acc.
running a high amp alternator helps as well

1 - 4 of 4 Posts