TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got my tacoma now i want to put a winch on..but i cant decide what kind of setup i want..i was thinking of going with the ARB bull bar becaue i like how the winch is more "hidden"...but ive seen some pictures where the winch hooks into the rear tow reciever and i was wondering if you could set the front up for the same way so i could use the same winch to pull me out frontwards or backwards...i would also like any other mounting ideas you have..pictures would be appreciated...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Having the ability to put the winch in front or back is definately a plus. In reality, I've hooked mine up out back once to make sure everything worked and usually dont carry it on the truck due to storage space. I'd say just get a good front bumper setup a couple tree straps and some snatch blocks. You'll spend the same amount of money but in the end you'll use the winch more in this configuration.

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
toubabokoomi said:
i got my tacoma now i want to put a winch on..but i cant decide what kind of setup i want..i was thinking of going with the ARB bull bar becaue i like how the winch is more "hidden"...but ive seen some pictures where the winch hooks into the rear tow reciever and i was wondering if you could set the front up for the same way so i could use the same winch to pull me out frontwards or backwards...i would also like any other mounting ideas you have..pictures would be appreciated...
Having the winch receiver mounted gives you more options, but kills your approach and departure angles unless you only mount it up when you need it.

Usually when you need a winch, you need it right away. Sometimes it might be extremely difficult to get it into the receiver depending on how you are stuck.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Mike said:
Having the winch receiver mounted gives you more options, but kills your approach and departure angles unless you only mount it up when you need it.
Usually when you need a winch, you need it right away. Sometimes it might be extremely difficult to get it into the receiver depending on how you are stuck.

Thats the problem I have with my receiver setup. Soon as funds allow I want to build a front bumper with a receiver attachment high enough that I can run with the winch on off-road and not worry about catching on stuff, but still be removable in town.

Tim

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tbplus10 said:
Mike said:

Thats the problem I have with my receiver setup. Soon as funds allow I want to build a front bumper with a receiver attachment high enough that I can run with the winch on off-road and not worry about catching on stuff, but still be removable in town.

Tim

yea thats just what i want is to be able to remove it when im just driving around town...i was also thinking going with a brush guard but can you take it off or is that more permanent? and how hard is it to setup the front for reciever? and how is the winch powered when you move it back and forth between the front and rear reciever?

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
toubabokoomi said:
Here's another thread that may answer some of your questions, or give you some additional insight:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2418

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Something not thought about much is the ability to get at your winch when using it. If you get a birds nest, or the line wrapped up on one side or some kind of knot and you can't get to your winch it can very easily become frustrating PITA. These things can happen even when the best precautions are taken.

I would suggest a mount that lets you get at the winch , even the back side of it, in the event that something gets tangled and you have to fix it to continue on down the trail.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
toubabokoomi said:
I have a multi-mount on my Tundra, so that I can use the winch [front or rear] for utility purposes, but this is NOT my trail rig. I also have a receiver welded on the front of my car hauler to pull non-operational rigs aboard.....one only needs to use a high-lift to pull a truck onto a trailer to learn that it is ALOT of work.

For trail use, the likelihood of winching from the rear of the vehicle is almost non-existent. The folks I know with winches on the front and rear, NEVER use the rear one; I think it is mostly about bling.

A permanent mount tends to be simpler, and having the weight of the winch on the vehicle all the time means that the suspension can be tuned for that configuration vs. trying to compromise between two load cases.

Like Mike said, when you need a winch, the last thing you want to be doing is fishing it from the bed and trying to get 100#'s mounted into a receiver. Most of the more refined setups have the controls hardwired inside the cab, so you don't even have to fool with connecting a remote.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts