TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
NWDave said:
Is this a good winch, found a good price on 'em.. I want to be able to get myself out and others as well.

http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/M8000.shtml
I have an M8000 and it seems to work just fine for a small rig like a Tacoma. I highly recommend putting some synthetic cable in there. OKOffRoad has good prices on Amsteel.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just installed one myself with synthetic line but haven't had a chance to use it yet. That should change soon though considerd I have several downed trees to pull out of the woods to cut and split during the holiday break.

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
I have that winch
I have used it a few times to extract myself from some mud holes in IL
It is a decent enough winch for our Tacomas
A winch's load rating should be 1.5X the total weight of the vehicle being towed
Tacomas aren't full size trucks, so an M800 or 9000 is good

·
Registered
469 Posts
I don't know if it is better/worse/whatever but someone has a pretty nice looking winch for sale in the classifieds section.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
NWDave said:
Is this a good winch, found a good price on 'em.. I want to be able to get myself out and others as well.

Ive seen M8000's in the high $400's on ebay and in the mid- to high $500's with free shipping. Ive bought a lot of stuff off ebay but not a winch. But its prob where I'll end up purchasing one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GOT COPE? said:
Ive seen M8000's in the high $400's on ebay and in the mid- to high $500's with free shipping. Ive bought a lot of stuff off ebay but not a winch. But its prob where I'll end up purchasing one.

Thats where I found it, but I found a XD9000i for alittle more, so I'm going to order one this weekend. Multi-mount, yay!

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
Uneasy Rider said:
What is that Synthetic line made of? Is it as strong & durable as steel cable?
Basically it is as strong(er?), lighter, & safer to handle - Most important factor is that it does not store energy under load-
http://www.samsonrope.com/home/industrial/rigging-12strand-amsteel-blue.cfm?ProdNum=154

Unfortunately, Its not as "durable" as steel cable- Synthetic rope is susceptible to UV exposure weakening, and cuts- If you drag the line across trees & sharp rocks- You more easily can fray/ cut the line. On the other hand- you don't have to worry about rusting, or kinks

I run amsteel blue in my M8000

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
NWDave said:

good winch and is fine for the Taco.
ditto on the Amsteel line and aluminum or synthetic fairlead...saves about 55#

what do you plan on attaching it to? ;)
winch bumper? multi mount, etc?
what suspension do you have? OE won't hold the weight.

·
Registered
73 Posts
NWDave said:

Sure like mine. Mounted in ARB, it works well. Suspension will have to be upgraded if you go that route, as stated above. Otherwise the front will sag.

If you decide to stay with steel cable, use some cable lube like Slip Plate

http://www.slipplate.com/

Good stuff that eliminates rust and helps the cable feed better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hytenor said:
good winch and is fine for the Taco.
ditto on the Amsteel line and aluminum or synthetic fairlead...saves about 55#

what do you plan on attaching it to? ;)
winch bumper? multi mount, etc?
what suspension do you have? OE won't hold the weight.
I'd like a winch bumper, but for now it's just cheaper to the multi-mount and get a front reciever. What needs to be changed out? Stiffer shocks, I planned on starting with a 3" cornfed. What else should I be looking at?

Oh ya, bone stock. Non-TRD. Just a SR5 package.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
NWDave said:
I'd like a winch bumper, but for now it's just cheaper to the multi-mount and get a front reciever. What needs to be changed out? Stiffer shocks, I planned on starting with a 3" cornfed. What else should I be looking at?

Oh ya, bone stock. Non-TRD. Just a SR5 package.
a 3" cornfed will be a waste of time and $ for a winch, sorry. In order to handle the weight you'll have to upgrade your suspension to some coilovers with at least 650# coils. the cheapest being Sway Away at $650 (Demello's sale) up to Donahoes at $950.

Adding that much weight to OE coils that have that have a spacer kit will just fast-forward the demise of the coils.
You should also do some more research on a mulit-mount system. They can be a huge PITA just when you don't need the hassle. What happens when you are stuck in mud up to your headlights? What happens when you're stuck on a steep hill and need to pull yourself up? That multimount and winch will weigh about 100# so you'd better have a passanger at all times.
the multi-mount sticking out so far kills your already lousy front approach angle.

I looked into this same setup and after weighing the pros and cons decided against. After using my winch on the trail in several different situations, each of them would have been a couple joke with a multi-mount.

If you don't weld, getting a custom front hitch can be pricy too. If you do weld you need to make sure what you install will handle the stress of winching and not rip right off. without a body lift, getting the correct bracing welded in onto the frame can be tough.

If you find a winch for a good price and can afford it, go for it. Then save up for the proper mounting platform and suspension upgrades. I had my winch (garage sale) for nearly a year before it got installed ;)

I know, not what you wanted to hear...:(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
11 Participants
hytenor
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing