TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Colorado folks, I'm in the market for some new winch ropes. I think I'm running amsteel blue from RockStomper but it has been soo long I'm not sure. It has held up well, though I purchased over kill size judging by everyone elses thickness. I think my rope is almost 10 years old now and i think it needs to be retired to extension use.

If you got a minute........

What brand or winchrope are you running and where did you buy it?

How has it been while winching? Any breaks? Any complaints off road?

How is it holding up to sunfade (not really an issues for strenght, I know)?

Does the winter road treatments cause any noticeable issues?

If you don't have a winch, WTF?:D

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I just got mine so I can't comment on most of your questions.

Warn M8000 - Rugged Ridge 3/8" by 94'

I barely got all 94' on the M8000.

All my buddies have synthetic rope. It's much easier to deal with on the trail. My only complaint is you can't drag it against rocks. I know that you shouldn't do it with steel wire either but the steel holds up better against rock. I've seen guys carry strips of carpet to put under the rope along with the nylon protective sleeve.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I picked my setup from okoffroad.com you can pick the length, thickness and color if you want. I will go with them again in a year or two b/c of extensive use on mine.

·
20,355 Posts
The carpet idea is a good one. Gonna have to save the scrapes from the next house we have done.

·
Registered
430 Posts
i like the carpet idea as well, one more thing to take along. guess it is nice to lay on if you have a repair.

viking makes great rope. all kinds of sizes and lenghts. currently i am running steel but will upgrade soon i hope.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I think mine is amsteel. It's been good for 6 or 8 years but desperately needs to be retired. I will never deal with steel cable again, faaaaaaawk that.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I just got my set up so no winching experience on it yet. But I did get it here:

http://www.winchline.com/winchline.html

I went with the safety thimble and 3/8 x 100' in orange. Not a bad price. If you want I have a brand new unused steel cable in my garage. It could go away cheep. :D

I am liking this rope as it has about a 3' nylon cover on it that you can move for the rocks and the safety thimble to me is just one extra precaution.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will never run steel again (after I replace the steel on my pickup that is). I hate that crap.

Edit: that winchline stuff looks to be what I'm running now. I'm thinking about just sticking with Amsteel Blue as it has good reviews including my own. I have not seen something that says product "---" is way better

1 - 8 of 8 Posts