TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I thought this mod was within my capabilities, though yet proven. Tried to relocate my winch selinoid box from my bumper to under the hood. Fabricated my own cables from welding cable,with suspect hammered on leads. thought i got the wiring correct, and reconnected the winch negative.

When i tested it, there was just clicking, rechecked everything, and the ground was weak, so i reconnected, and now the winch just winds in, and nothing, even clicking, when i press the out. I rechecked the ground, but no go.

So?
Did i cross up the leads from box to winch, can i just try moving the leads on the winch?

Would the small ground wire from the box to winch be the culprit?

My cables, rather leads, could be bad, i guess check with a volt meter?

Anyway, when time permits, i'll check these 3 ideas, and any insight would be great. Maybe where to buy extra long winch wire and factory installed leads?

Cheers!

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Hi everyone,
I thought this mod was within my capabilities, though yet proven. Tried to relocate my winch selinoid box from my bumper to under the hood. Fabricated my own cables from welding cable,with suspect hammered on leads. thought i got the wiring correct, and reconnected the winch negative.

When i tested it, there was just clicking, rechecked everything, and the ground was weak, so i reconnected, and now the winch just winds in, and nothing, even clicking, when i press the out. I rechecked the ground, but no go.

So?
Did i cross up the leads from box to winch, can i just try moving the leads on the winch?

Would the small ground wire from the box to winch be the culprit?

My cables, rather leads, could be bad, i guess check with a volt meter?

Anyway, when time permits, i'll check these 3 ideas, and any insight would be great. Maybe where to buy extra long winch wire and factory installed leads?

Cheers!
had the same issue with mine. i gave up on it and bought a new winch. i replaced the solenoids twice, checked the wiring and the most i could get it to do was spool in, but nothing would happen when i tried to spool out.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
assuming your wiring is in the correct order...

I would also assume you used longer cables
with newly installed lug terminals ?

How did you install those lug terminals to the cable ends ?

oh wait... with a hammer :confused:

probably bad contacts with those...
I recommend a quality solder even if crimped properly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Crimping works fine if you do it right. Just make sure you use the right size wire, depending on what winch you have it varies from #2 - #4 AWG.

This was crimped with Burndy handheld crimpers and Burndy #2 lugs, 6 crimps total per cable, wrapped in scotch 33 and heat shrinked.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
IMHO, just doing a solder on these would be a bad idea. If the connection is weak or gets corroded, it will heat up, and melt the solder, and come apart.

You can also use this crimper with a hammer to get the connection crimped. Just hammering them won't do, they'll eventually come apart.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/160668225942?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Best option is to cut about 4 pieces of solder, drop them into the lug. Crimp on using the above tool, then heat up the lug to wick the solder onto the wire, and lug. Follow with heat shrink...

IMHO, you probably just have the wires mixed up, but I would still recrimp them correctly. Look at the old diagram, draw out how you have it setup, and compare.

·
Registered
488 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
I got one of those Lenco swage tools at the same vendor for welding cables...works like a charm. I also soldered the braided copper wires in the lug just so they won't start unravelling with heavy moving around. Winch cables probably won't get moved that much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts