TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a 2003 V6 Manual Trans. 4X4 I do a little off roading, but nothing major. I usually just ride in fields or trails. NO rockk climbing. I am interseted in getting a winch so when i do get stuck i will hopefully have some way out, but I do not want to have to buy another bumper for mounting. I have looked at the Chichago Electric winches that can mount on a tralier hitch. Does anyone know anything about these, or have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
btm80 said:
...or have any other suggestions?
SteveO recently installed a hidden winch behind his stock bumper. There was another TTORA dude/or message board user, who also did the same. Involves some welding though.

Here're some pics of Steve's set up, keep in mind it hasn't been put to the test yet since I stole his winch line and traded it for drugs.

Posts 18 & 19 have pics.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have a Reese receiver hitch thats bolted up front, it originally sat just below the front bumper, with the addition of a 3" body lift it now sits about 2.5" below the bumper.
Works great, only had to use the winch on it once though, I mainly use it to put the boat in a tight parking spot behind the house.
I started to modify it to sit between the frame rails, then started building a new front bumper with a receiver in it so I quit working on it.
Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was there any drilling required to put that front receiver on? I am considering one if it is not too dificult to put it on.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
btm80 said:
I Have a 2003 V6 Manual Trans. 4X4 I do a little off roading, but nothing major. I usually just ride in fields or trails. NO rockk climbing. I am interseted in getting a winch so when i do get stuck i will hopefully have some way out, but I do not want to have to buy another bumper for mounting. I have looked at the Chichago Electric winches that can mount on a tralier hitch. Does anyone know anything about these, or have any other suggestions?
Like Rob said, I built a mount to hold a winch behind the stock bumper. Other than the hawse fairlead it's tough to tell there's even one there. I also didn't want a big, heavy, expensive bumper so this worked great for me. I won't get to test it though until boxing day but I think it will work pretty good. If you want more pics, let me know and I can get some. ..Steve

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a front receiver so I don't need a new bumper or have to haul the winch with me everywhere. Just pop it in when you need it. Also, I prefer warn winches. They cost more, but are the best.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
btm80 said:
Was there any drilling required to put that front receiver on? I am considering one if it is not too dificult to put it on.
A little drilling, you have to enlarge existing two holes on the sides of the frame rails. The other four bolts go in existing holes.

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts