TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently a well known 4x4 enthusiast from my area was killed in a 4x4 accident near by that involved improper winching:( . He and the rest of the guys on the trip all knew what they were doing but due to some carelessness a clevis came through the windshield when the bolt broke and killed him instantly when it struck him in the head. So today I was lookin around the site and it seems to me there alot of new faces to the 4x4 world :) . I thought this seemed like a good place to post this.
Getting a winch is scary for some new people so maybe some of the ol' timers who have been around the block can shed some light on winching and safe recovery.Do's and donts and such. It may be a good refresher course for some of us as well. Heck maybe even an argument or two :xpopcorn:

Ill start I guess. :D

I have always used an old jacket or backpack to drape over the winch line when winching so that if it snaps the weight of it will drop the line to the ground instead of it becoming airborn.

Also I have always used steel cable but heard that synthetic rope is less dangerous, is it worth the extra cash :confused:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Also I have always used steel cable but heard that synthetic rope is less dangerous, is it worth the extra cash :confused:
I dont have really any input of how to winch. But after what you said there, whens it comes to spending extra money for safety I think it would be well worth it. :2cents:

·
Registered
490 Posts
I am sorry for the loss in your area

Yes rope is better....if it breaks its loses it energy alot faster and falls to the ground.I switched to rope

Its kinda funny this came up tonight....I just came home from a 5hr winch fest.
One winch broke(on a LC80),my bumper(which is bolted and welded on)broke 2 out of 5 grade 8 bolts and a few welds.....two trucks down(only 2 of the 3 of us had winches)luckally I had already pulled myself out and the suburban that was with us....till my bumper had enough on the 80.We ended up going back to town and getting the owner of the 80 other 80 w/a winch on it.It took about 2 hrs to winch it out.Sorry no pics,was suppose to be a mild fun trail ride(little did we know).

but to add a couple things for safety tips:
Open your hood when winching...would rather replace a hood than a windshield(phoenix's story tells all that can happen)

Only need 2 people there...1 in each vehicle,all others should stay well away.

I have seen a winch line go through a back window and the p-seat....if there was a passenger in the seat it would have been a horrible out come... ,I have my dirt bike helmet in the truck(does not take up alot of room),its worn if I am getting winched from behind

·
Registered
490 Posts
Also to add something,this tread needs to be taken seriously...winching is very dangerous...I am sure there will be alot of tips going in here....maybe the mods can make this a sticky
there are also alot of dont do's with a snatch strap,another sticky tread for that would be great

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Recently a well known 4x4 enthusiast from my area was killed in a 4x4 accident near by that involved improper winching:( .

It's always sad to hear about preventable deaths, especially out on the trail.

Synthetic rope is definitely worth the extra cash. After running it I would never use wire rope again.

Later,
....Mike

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
Making a pivot point at halfway with .....ANYTHING.....(preferably a coat or blanket) that was one of the first things i learned when i got into off-roading...and i dont even have a winch.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
i remember a thread like this a while ago...and someone suggested opening the hood when winching...and everyone laughed at him

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Would you mind elaborating on how the clevis shot off the truck? I'm just looking for more things I shouldn't do.
I should have said shackle not clevis. The shackle was attached to a hook and the bolts on the hook to frame broke sending the attached clevis into the cab. :(

Ps I too think that this should become a 'sticky' if the mods agree.

Also a list from you guys of what you carry onboard to aid in winching would be a good idea.
I dont have my winch ( warn 8000 ) yet but after hearing from you guys I think Ill spend a little extra and get a synthetic line.
On board I always carry ( winch or no winch )
3 shackles
10,000 lb tug strap
basic tools
Highlift jack
Leather work gloves

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have a T-Max 9000 and carry:
ARB Heavty duty winch accs. kit(tree saver,snatch block,shackles,gloves ect.)
Master Pull 5/16 syn rope...another great rope feature is you dont need gloves to handle it and can be repaired in about 10 minutes if it breaks
2 30 ft snatch straps (6 and 4 in)
I carry spare solenoids for my winch also

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a synthetic line on my winch, whenever I use it I put a big heavy blanket on the line then I also put the chain on top of the blanket, the chain that comes with the winch accesory bag.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I have a T-Max 9000 and carry:
ARB Heavty duty winch accs. kit(tree saver,snatch block,shackles,gloves ect.)
Master Pull 5/16 syn rope...another great rope feature is you dont need gloves to handle it and can be repaired in about 10 minutes if it breaks
2 30 ft snatch straps (6 and 4 in)
I carry spare solenoids for my winch also
do you mind elaborating on how it can be fixed if it breaks?

i as well have a tmax 9000 with 5/16 synthetic rope. i put synthetic rope on my winch before it was even put on the truck. i always carry 3 d rings, tow strap, tools, gloves.

btw i dont have a tree saver, but i wrap the tow strap around a tree instead and i havent had any problems with that yet. anybody have any negitive thoughts about doing this?

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
do you mind elaborating on how it can be fixed if it breaks?
Go to Sampson Rope's website - Makers of Amsteel Blue for the pdfs-
Basically - the synthetic winch rope can be looped & spliced - So you don't really need anyy fancy tools or thimbles to terminate the end.
If you've ever played with water ski rope (poly braided line) or chinese finger traps you'll understand.

btw i dont have a tree saver, but i wrap the tow strap around a tree instead and i havent had any problems with that yet.
My tree savers are basically short tow straps -
I have 2 & 3 " wide tree straps roughly 6-10 feet in length

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
btw i dont have a tree saver, but i wrap the tow strap around a tree instead and i havent had any problems with that yet. anybody have any negitive thoughts about doing this?
The purpose for a tree saver is just that... not kill the tree when you winch from it. Anything that spreads out the load and doesn't cut into the tree is fine.

I really hate being out on a trail and seeing dead and dying trees just because someone was lazy and wrapped a wire rope around.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mike in your opinion would you say a tug strap is ok to use if you dont have a tree saver?

Plus here is a good pic on how to attach such a device

[/IMG]

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Burp :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts