TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have a cheap trick for replacement? Mine is brittle and crumbling apart.

Toyota wants $100 and there are no Tacoma parts in the junkyard here.

I can eventually figure something out, I just wondered if someone here had a good idea.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My friend suggested a Gatorade bottle. Building one might be best, unless I find one in someones broken truck. $100 bucks ain't happening.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Ive seen them built out of PVC pipe before

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
It's just a resivoir so even something like a gallon milk bottle will work. All you have to do is mount it somewhere.
I ran out of room under the hood so put a Samuri washer jug in my front bumper and ran some kitchen sink drian pipe out the top of the bumper to fill it. Use your imagination.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Nalgene bottle works great.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Had the same problem, reservoir looked like a dropped hard boiled egg with chunks breaking off. Not sure the Gatorade or a milk jug would hold up for long but Nalgene would be better. Several PVC pipe ideas online you could design for capacity, space issues, or both.

I haven't solved this myself yet but was looking at LMC Truck for another vehicle. They have a cheapo looking universal kit (1.5L $19 part #36-4083) which I don't like but I'm going to go with #37-4020 that looks like a better match for me.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I wonder what kind of shitty plastic Toyota is using for those things. You'd think it'd be easy to make em last pretty near forever. I was using the original neck and cap for my front bumper bottle thing but the plastic they used rotted away so I replaced it with ABS drain pipe.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My friend suggested a Gatorade bottle. Building one might be best, unless I find one in someones broken truck. $100 bucks ain't happening.
My stock 2003 2wd Tacoma, washer reservoir has pump and sensor, local Toyota dealer quoted me $180 for reservoir. I checked Toyota of Dallas Parts, prices for reservoir for your and my Tacoma are $82.39, but not including shipping.;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I did a pvc neck on mine, epoxied it to the stock tank and used a pvc cap. The stock filter screen fits perfectly in the pvc pipe while still allowing the cap to go on.
I'd find a tank that fits and epoxy a pvc pipe to it.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did a pvc neck on mine, epoxied it to the stock tank and used a pvc cap. The stock filter screen fits perfectly in the pvc pipe while still allowing the cap to go on.
I'd find a tank that fits and epoxy a pvc pipe to it.
That sounds good.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just the filler neck on mine was bad. I took it out and wrapped the neck with fiberglass tape/resin. Been fine for a few months now. Is it caused by heat or RainX? I've always used RainX.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No rain x in mine either. I guess it's time to make my own. I like the PVC idea. Maybe just the neck, maybe the entire unit...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just the filler neck on mine was bad. I took it out and wrapped the neck with fiberglass tape/resin. Been fine for a few months now. Is it caused by heat or RainX? I've always used RainX.
I never used RainX so I doubt that's what caused it. I think it more likely that they just used a poor grade of plastic.
No rain x in mine either. I guess it's time to make my own. I like the PVC idea. Maybe just the neck, maybe the entire unit...
I used rainx in washer reservoir, but only filler neck portion cracked on my 2003 Tacoma. It's not my daily driver, so fuck it! I probably do the pvc pipe on neck if and when becomes worse.:D

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My 04 cracked and leaked out three years ago. Wrapped the shit out of it with gorilla tape. Has'nt leaked yet. Maybe toyota should make them out of gorilla tape
^funny

My Tacoma is a 2000 but even my '78 Scout never had this brittle POS plastic.

Making my own sounds like the best way to go. PVC neck at least, maybe the whole thing. I only want to do it once.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I did the PVC neck on the stock tank a long time ago, the OEM neck was shot but the tank is still fine today. I think it's because the neck is exposed to the engine bay heat while the tank is outside and cooled by the washer fluid.
The big OEM tank capacity is great, I think I've added washer fluid a half dozen times in 14 years. Keep it if ground clearance isn't an issue and the tank itself is still good.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Johnnymumbles

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Reviving the dead... if you Taco guys can find the rear washer bag from first gen 4Runners, that seems to be a trick for the FJ80 fools who run ARB bumpers and lose the stock washer bottles.
So check into that; I bet you can find one or three at a junk yard; they're not in the engine bay heat and they're flexible plastic that was made to last a while longer than the stock 90s washer bottles.
I happen to have one or three in my shop at the moment as well... :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts