TTORA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, I was being careless with my windshield wipers when there was ice on them and now the one on the driver's side broke loose. its still attached and all, just whatever the mechanism is hooked up to is either broken or off track. is this going to be something as easy as replacing the mechanism that controls it? or will it be something more complicated that I should take in to a shop? I'm driving an '06 tacoma. tried to see what exactly was broken, but just from looking under the hood and not taking anything off, I couldnt see a difference. any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
So the wiper arm and blade is completely in-tact, but they just don't move? Is that correct?

The way wiper systems work is that there is a big long and rigid bar that attaches to an electric motor, and the bar is broken into 2 pieces that both move when the motor moves. The whole arm sorta moves in a very strange looking motion as the wiper motor spins at one end of that bar, with the wiper blades attaching to pivot points in the bar at 2 different spots(one for each blade arm). As the bar moves, it causes whatever is attached to those pivot points to move... in this case, your wiper arms.

You may have broken the part that connects to the motor, or possibly screwed up the gear in the motor... or maybe even bent the arm in the first half of the bar where it connects to the motor... although if this was true, your wiper blades would still probably at least shake or move a little bit, just not in a normal fluid fashion.

I realize that my description of how the motor works is probably not going to give you a good mental image of the whole thing. You should try to look it up in the FSM and see if yo can find a picture of the system.

The whole assembly isn't really that complicated and swapping in a new motor is usually very easy in most cars(never tried it yet on a Taco though). Taking the bar out requires you to remove the wiper arms as well as the screen assembly that protects it from debris in order to get access to the components beneath.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had a question about the wipers also. I noticed that my wipers when "on" would go to a certain low point on the downstroke and back up. When I turned them off they would go beyond that low point to an "off" position much lower than they go when they are moving and on. Since the snow and ice season and all the matter packing under them they no longer go to that lower position down by the cowel when they are turned off. Is this just my imagination or do they have a memory to them, or did they bend or something from all the packed snow under them?

·
Registered
395 Posts
seandillon5150 said:
so, I was being careless with my windshield wipers when there was ice on them and now the one on the driver's side broke loose. its still attached and all, just whatever the mechanism is hooked up to is either broken or off track. is this going to be something as easy as replacing the mechanism that controls it? or will it be something more complicated that I should take in to a shop? I'm driving an '06 tacoma. tried to see what exactly was broken, but just from looking under the hood and not taking anything off, I couldnt see a difference. any help would be appreciated.
Take that hummer back to the dealer and tell them to fix it. It'll be free!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
got it

k, I figured it out. the motor worked fine so I looked at what it was attatched to. there's a nut on the end of the wiper blade that goes into the part above the hood. just pried off the little plastic piece on that end, and tightened up the nut. works perfect, now.

Jwitc075-
I'm positive that that one nut just got loosened up. I was experiancing the same thing before it just completely stopped working. just get a screw driver and a ratchet and you'll be good to go in no time if you have the problem again. I'd reccomend just tightening it down anyway if you've got the time to prevent it from happening again. it'd suck to be going down the road in heavy rain and just have a wiper stop working. 9/16 or 11/16 for the socket size

1 - 6 of 6 Posts