1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1985 grand waggy dana 44 wide track.

when i got it home

didnt go in to work today so sent some time cleaning it and taking stuff off it

plans are to do a mild build on it with flat tops, hi-steer, 4.56 gears, locker, warn hubs, and what ever else i can do to it.

its going to eventually go under the double cab once i get it all ready :D

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Awesome. Honestly sell the D44 and save some extra cash. Buy a set of 1 1/4 ton axles (KP D60 and FF14B) off a CUCV. It will help you if you ever go bigger than a 38 which more than likely will. You can sell your rear axle too for about 1.2k and recoupe most the extra cost.

Think about this:
Axles: 1200-1800 for the pair of CUCV axles
Tubes swapped: $200
U joints: $390
Steering: $400
Gears: $1000
Locker: $400 (CUCV come with a rear locker)

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome. Honestly sell the D44 and save some extra cash. Buy a set of 1 1/4 ton axles (KP D60 and FF14B) off a CUCV. It will help you if you ever go bigger than a 38 which more than likely will. You can sell your rear axle too for about 1.2k and recoupe most the extra cost.

Think about this:
Axles: 1200-1800 for the pair of CUCV axles
Tubes swapped: $200
U joints: $390
Steering: $400
Gears: $1000
Locker: $400 (CUCV come with a rear locker)
hmmmm kinda tempting actually... where can i find those CUCV axles at?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well some progress made today for the most part......

spent my morning stripping the remaining rust off the housing and grinding everything down smooth.... got bored so i repainted it. i need to run to the parts store and get a socket to get the bolt out that keeps the shafts in the spindles (do any stores rent them instead of me having to buy it?)

well progress pics

i know im probably going to catch some heat for it but im going to keep the diff silver and the flat tops as well..... might look kinda cool i think since my truck is silver :cool:.

im going to go junk yard hopping this weekend to find me a set of flat tops. all the yards around here are hard core chevy so im feeling pretty good about it.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
i think i have the socket you need. let me check my tools. i might have let it go when i sold my waggy.

-Daniel

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think i have the socket you need. let me check my tools. i might have let it go when i sold my waggy.

-Daniel
let me know man! i can run over to your house tomorrow and get it if need be

·
Registered
717 Posts
Just saying man. I wish I could snap my fingers and my Tacoma would have IFS again. LOL!

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got bored so i started to tear the axle down

i drained the diff

yummy :barf:

now here is my question... how the hell do i get that bottom bolt off the knuckle?

now its onto wild bills to go to a luke bryan concert :D call me if you want to meet up there

·
Registered
717 Posts
I don't know shit about Dana crap but maybe there is a spindle bolted to the knuckle. Take the spindle off then the shaft comes out.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know shit about Dana crap but maybe there is a spindle bolted to the knuckle. Take the spindle off then the shaft comes out.
it looked to me like the spindle was put into the knuckle from inside to out (from u-joint side)

·
Registered
717 Posts
hmmmmmm...... I don't know.

That's why you use Toyota stuff on a Toyota. Those japs use logic when building things. LOL!!! :flipoff4:

I guess you'll just have to wait for an experienced Dana guy. :D

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hmmmmmm...... I don't know.

That's why you use Toyota stuff on a Toyota. Those japs use logic when building things. LOL!!! :flipoff4:

I guess you'll just have to wait for an experienced Dana guy. :D
yeah im thinking i might wait for some one who knows more than me (not really that hard :rolleyes:). beats the alternative of just hitting it with a bfh till something happens

1 - 20 of 149 Posts