TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how the heck do you take off the wiper blades? i have a 2003 and my refills went bad so i tried to take the out but ended up cutting them out . Then i go and buy refills (rubber) for them and they wont fit .So how do i take the whole blade off , not the arm , just the blade?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't think the blade refils fit the newer models. My friend who works at toyota told me that 3 years ago they quit the refill style wiper arm assembly. The refills are for models preceeding 2k2. If you arms are replacable you can simple pull apart the small "claws" that are spread out every few inches along the length of the arm. Now you should be able to remove the 2 aluminum strips and slide out the rubber. Place the aluminum strips inside the new rubber and slide it into place. Compress the "claws" back into place and your done.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
40 Posts
You most certainly can replace just the refills. It is pretty simple actually. First things first, make sure you have a Toyota blade assembly. If the truck was bought used it might have Anco blades or some other off brand. If that is the case, you would be better off just getting the entire blade from Toyota.

Insert replacement
On one end, there may be a silver end piece about the size of an eraser. If present, remove with needlenose pliers.

On the opposite end, there is a thicker part to the rubber insert. Pull from that end, and the entire insert should come out. Remove and keep the metal stiffeners from either side.

Put those stiffeners on the new insert, and slide it in the blade backing. The narrow end will go in first. When the meaty end gets to the edge of the blade backing, just give a gentle tug to lock it into place. Put the new silver end piece on the narrow end and you are good to go. Repeat for other side.

For entire blade assembly
Pull arm up, go to the end and you will feel a small clip inside the "C" of the arm itself. Press upwards towards the arm and pull the wiper blade down at the same time.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Just make sure you hear the click so they don't fly over your roof in a rain storm going down the interstate.

·
Registered
205 Posts
TacoPoPo said:
Installation is the reverse of removal. Just make sure you hear the click so they don't fly over your roof in a rain storm going down the interstate.
Is that word of advise from experience? That would be something you would have to laugh about.(as long as it didn`t hit another car)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Be sure to do all this in the parts store parking lot! I got replace one of Chester's wiper blades yesterday because the rubber started separating fromthe metal strips that hold the blade to the frame. Not good when driving on slushy wet roads.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
We've all been there. I buy the whole blade assembly that fits into the arm now. Put on Anco winter blades yesterday....mmmmmmmmmm...so nice.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks TacoPoPo , i'll have to the entire arm replacement that way i can just buy refills next time and it will be a lot more easier.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Its easier and not much more expensive to replace the whole arm. I replace mine about twice a year sometimes 3. Costs 6-7 bucks each time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts