TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to wiring in my own lights, but have done a few smaller ones, and now think I'm ready to try some off road lights. I have looked around at other posts and this is what I have come up with so far:

Tap into my high beam wire (maybe somewhere near the headlights would be easiest?) and add in a relay. Wire power to the relay (with a fuse before hand) ground the relay, and then send power from the relay to the light, plus ground the light there as well. In theory this should come on when my high beams come on and send power to my new light.

I'd also like to bypass this all with a separate switch. So I can turn it on and off even if the trucks off to set up camp of something. So if I reuse the wires I have before the relay and split them it would look something like this. Battery and fused wire splits into two, and the second half which isn't going to the relay goes to a switch in the cab (which should have a ground on it right?) and then to my light, which again will have its own ground.

Does this sound like it might work? I figure if I can ground it at the lights, and switch and relay it will have twice as much chance to not become ungrounded. Or is that unnecessary? Like I say I'm new to this so any input is appreciated.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I tapped in on the parking lights/ign. (at the oem fuse box)
this way I can be independent of the headlights...
(because I choose to turn muh headlights off)
when I use muh forward aux. lights.

Muh rock lights are tapped into constant
because I sometimes use those independent of the other lighting
and don't want those controlled by the ign.

jm :2cents:

·
Registered
366 Posts
I tapped in on the parking lights/ign. (at the oem fuse box)
this way I can be independent of the headlights...
(because I choose to turn muh headlights off)
when I use muh forward aux. lights.
I've done the same. Tapped the parking lights for the same reason. I can run my Aux lights when the headlights are high beam / low beam or no beam (just parkers on).

You are on the right track so far with the relay and switch.

I had asked for help some time ago on reverse lights. A few guys attached various diagrams which were helpful. One specifically was for basic Aux lights.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168004

·
Registered
49 Posts
heres what i did with my aux lights up front. i bought a 3 way rocker switch. it has 3 connections on back. the middle pin is the wire that is the hot wire going to the relay to close the relay or trigger how ever you want to word it. then on the other 2 connections i run a wire from the high beams to one of them and then just a 12 volt wire to the other. what this allows is leave the switch in one position and the lights come on and off with high beams or flip the switch and you can manually turn them on regardless if the truck is running or not.

·
Registered
214 Posts
heres what i did with my aux lights up front. i bought a 3 way rocker switch. it has 3 connections on back. the middle pin is the wire that is the hot wire going to the relay to close the relay or trigger how ever you want to word it. then on the other 2 connections i run a wire from the high beams to one of them and then just a 12 volt wire to the other. what this allows is leave the switch in one position and the lights come on and off with high beams or flip the switch and you can manually turn them on regardless if the truck is running or not.
That's how I did it, 3 way switch.
1) Secondary's relayed to high beams
2) Secondary's off regardless
3) Secondary's on regardless

·
Registered
851 Posts
That's how I did it, 3 way switch.
1) Secondary's relayed to high beams
2) Secondary's off regardless
3) Secondary's on regardless
I personally would wire them independently for two reasons. First depending on what lights you wish to run they may exceed the voltage capacity of the small wires running to the head lights and cause it to melt and worst case screw up your whole wiring harness.Then you would have zero lights. If you did hook them u that way you could use the power switch on dash to the lights as the switch leg as opposed to the power leg to the lights. If your were running something like an LED you could probably get away with it but my Hella 4000 pull 100w each. So I wired two together and the last alone to not exceed the relays power handling capacity. Someone else mentioned above that occasionally it is nice to run dark with only the offroad lights. Good to confuse those who may be following or attempting to track your movements. Also makes it difficult to identify the type of vehicle you are driving. If you might wander onto private or desolate military land that may not be well marked, you could disappear fairly easy without the troublesome confrontation of armed men. Unless the have FLIR.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts