TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Well, since the search for a 50W 921 bulb didn't turn up any ideas, I'm installing some extra reverse lights, and thinking of mounting them to the trailer hitch.

My question concerns wiring; Out of these three options, which would be easiest (or even possible?) and the best idea?:

1. Tapping into the trailer hitch wires so when I shift to reverse, the lights come on.
2. Tapping into the transmission reverse switch ('02 AT doublecab 4x4)... Is this easy to get to??
3. Running it completely independent of the reverse lights i.e. switch mounted on dash.

I would prefer to have them come on whenever I shift into R, instead of having them on a switch.

Oh, and I seem to remember somebody once telling me that Toyotas have "soft" reverse switches and are EZ to blow... Any truth to this?

Thanks for any ideas,

Beave

·
Registered
4 Posts
The trailer wires probably don't have a wire for back-up lights. Why can't you find the wire that goes to the existing back-up lights, (check the wires coming out of the existing back-up light bulbs with a test light while the transmission is in reverse and the bulbs are lit) and splice your new lights onto one of them? The other option I would consider is running a seperate power source to them with a switch and an indicator light so you know they're on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Use the existing wire for the reverse lights to trigger a relay. You'll have to run a fused power wire back there for the lights. I tried to use the factory reverse wire directly and it is too small and won't provide enough current for 55 watt lights to fully illuminate.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would recommend option #3. I would like to be in control of when the extra backup lights are on. It would be handy if you're outside your truck and need some lighting in the back.

You could hook up a relay to your running lights so at least the backup lights will only work when your truck lights are on - which I think would be the only time you'd need them anyway. Plus, switches are cool :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks for the help guys.

Beave

·
Registered
257 Posts
putting you t-case in nuetral and then putting it in reverse is a good trick to turn on your backup lights... I always wanted to hook it up using a 3-way switch so it could be off,on,auto. Auto being coming on when your in reverse, i hooked up my driving lights this way, so they came on when I put my brights on and it was a pretty sweet deal, I used it all the time on my old truck now I have to start over on my new one. you can do it all with one relay too just use the switch to select wich input to send to the relay.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Beave said:
Hey all,

Well, since the search for a 50W 921 bulb didn't turn up any ideas, I'm installing some extra reverse lights, and thinking of mounting them to the trailer hitch......
Just checking to see if you mounted something up??? I'm looking to to something pretty soon

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No nothing yet.... Waiting on Uncle Sam to throw some tax-returns my way!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd put a relay under the hood. Run a switch to the trigger to turn it on in cab, and run a jumper from the current back up lights to the trigger.

That way you can trun them on when you are not in reverse for lighting behind your truck when not in gear/reverse, but you have them come on with the regular ones.

I am gonna do this to my driving lights, but ad an inline switch to the auto trigger circuit such that if I am ever pulled over and asked about my lights, I can say the driving lights do not come on with the brights, as that may or may no be illegal in georgia. Plus, with an illuminated switch I can remember they are on in case there is a reason they shouldn't be.

Daniel

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used to sell those alot at my old job and there is a switch on the back of that unit what acts like a 3 way switch. But unfortunately the weatherproofing on it isnt the best and after about 6 months the switch will stop working and you will have to bypass it for the lights to work at all. The setup of the unit and the thought process is great though.

Brian

·
Registered
460 Posts
i know this is not an option u listed that u wanted but figured id mention it anyhow, on my old truck i had old boat lights i got off my dads boat when he got a new one, i hooked them up 2 my parking lights and then put a switch where i could control them 2 come on with my parking lights or not come on at all. i mounted them on the corners of front of bed between toolbox and side of bed. i used them fishing and stuff, real handy, except i had a tailgate that wouldnt latch so it was never closed... lol, just an idea man, supposed one could use a bed bar and get similar results.

i found this idea a great one, over in the cheap tricks section...
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7856

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nanotruck said:
Use the existing wire for the reverse lights to trigger a relay. You'll have to run a fused power wire back there for the lights. I tried to use the factory reverse wire directly and it is too small and won't provide enough current for 55 watt lights to fully illuminate.

Yeah, I tried to tap the backup lights directly to the existing wiring. They were so dim. Not enough current I guess. Second attemp was to provide a relay and run a separate direct wire from the battery to power the relay and other wire from the relay to the existing backup light wiring. Voila, it worked like a charm. So every time I put in reverse, both the existing backup lights and the auxilary lights are bright enough for me to see what's behind me. I don't remember the exact hookup but anyone needs it, just let me know. PD

·
Registered
3 Posts
For those of us that also have to back utility trailers into dark spots, and don't want to crash anything, this reverse light mod will also work.
I have some Optilux Model 1200 Fog Lights mounted on the back of my trailer and wiring run to the front of the trailer. When I plug my harness is I just plug the extra single plug in for the reverse lights. The circuit is triggered from the trucks reverse light circuit and energized from a dedicated 12 volt line from the battery via a relay mounted under the bed near the rear of the truck.
This mod works excellent for me.

Saker

·
Registered
464 Posts
Beave said:
Hey all,
My question concerns wiring; Out of these three options, which would be easiest (or even possible?) and the best idea?:

1. Tapping into the trailer hitch wires so when I shift to reverse, the lights come on.
2. Tapping into the transmission reverse switch ('02 AT doublecab 4x4)... Is this easy to get to??
3. Running it completely independent of the reverse lights i.e. switch mounted on dash.

I would prefer to have them come on whenever I shift into R, instead of having them on a switch.

i did a complete "HOWTO" on this subject a few months back, and the wiring for your '02 will be the exact same:
http://tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21166

jim aka the wrooster

1 - 16 of 16 Posts