TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I am lucky I didn't fry my stupid ass trying to hook up my new winch, Or worse fry the damn solanoid!

Anyway, I have never hooked up a winch before, figured "how hard could it be, two cables to the battery and done"

Well I didn't know the solanoid was not attached. Anyway. In following the sorry excuse for an exploided view of the solanoid (the install directions just says "attach positive cable to nearest post and negative cable to nearest post") in combonation of attaching the solanoid to the winch at 1 am after driving all day. I must have crossed some wires. All I am getting is the solanoid "clicking"

In trying to follow the exploided view, they reference the red cable, the yellow cable and the positive cable. They actually reference the red cable twice, which in the most part is the confusing part, because I am sure one of the red cables referenced should be a green cable but which one?

and then there is the matter of the negative battery cable. There is no clear reference to where it should be attached to. Does it attach to the solanoid somewhere or to the winch motor by sharing one of the post of either the red, green or yellow cable. I guessed at the green since green is used for grounding in many electronics and such, but all I got when I did that was the cable/battery arching. Like I said I am lucky I didn't fry my butt!

And of coarse they do not have a 24/7 tech line to call until tomorrow.
I just hope I did not fry anything as I was trying as many "logical" combonations that made sense. Nothing worked and I never did smell any burning electrical oders so I am pretty sure I did not short out the solanoid.

Any suggestions out there?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
MM should have you do a test of the motor to insure that it is functioning correctly. The clicking indicates that the selnoids are getting power but doesn't necessarily rule them out as the possible problem.

The ground and positive cables simply attach the approriate battery posts.

Is this a brand new unit?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
you should be ok with it not being fried. I crossed the positive and negative on accident once and it started melting the metal on the battery lol! it still works though.

your damn post is to dang long !!! but I'll take a picture of my hook up when I get home if you want. or shoot me your # and I'll call you when I get off and I can just explain how its hooked up Bear.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea it is a brand new unit. I bought from another member for a smoking deal! It was never installed before I got it.

I called the company this morning (while I charged up my battery, since it died in the cold weather we had over the night–no not from the winch install)

anyway the first thing coming from the other end of the conversation when I told them their instruction manual sucked and was incomplete was "yea, it is bad" Okay if you, as a company know your instruction manual is better suited for the toilet, why not correct the problem?.

sorry that is my rant for the morning!

The problem I was having (according to Mile marker) was that the smal ground wire (that was never referenced once in the entire manual) is suppose to be attached to the same "hook up" (their words not mine) as the negative battery cable. Not to the chassis ground as I guessed at. Also since it was 1 am when I hooked up the cables I did not notice the flush mounted bolt that the negative battery cable is suppose to be attached to.

But who would have guessed, with three normal looking terminals coming off the winch motor you were suppose to "unscrew" (their words again) a flush mounted bolt and use it as the negative feed?

I also had a hellva time explaining to him that the relay that this small ground wire was not on the back of the winch motor but on the side. But that is another rant all in it's self!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
You know what? now that I think about it I had a the same exact problem because I automatically assumed you just ground that little wire. I think I had to look at someone’s or read the manuel really slowly. And look at the pictures.LOL!!

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adam, I have been through that damn manual forwards and backwards at least 5 tiimes. and that was just last night. I am pretty good at reading install manuals before installing the parts. and I never once saw a reference for the small ground wire!

and the illustration of the solenoid is a joke! The "mother board" in the manual does not even look like the one installed on my winch!

but hopefully I got the answers I needed for a quick fix tonight when I get home to the wonderful snow fall we are getting today…four days after Easter!

I wish I was back in S.A with you guys! weather up here gets old in a hurry!

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Adam, sorry I did not send you the phone number nor called you last night when I got off work.

Life is distracting for me as you can imagine with three kids.:eek:

Anyway. I also had to check a wheel bearing which completely threw my plans off when I got home. I got to the winch correction about 10 pm my time and with the tech call I made yesterday morning I was able to wire things up and get the winch working perfectly. But I appreciate you offering to help.

As I also appreciate all the help I was given on this thread and threw pm's (Sam you need to post that MM link you gave me on the FAQ/TECH section! that was awesome as well. If I would have had that before calling MM I would not have needed to make that call! It was much nicer than the crap they packed with the product!

I need to complete the winch install tonight with the addition of a couple of grade 8 bolts for my bumper, then I will find a parking lot that I can "pre-tention" the cable and I will be completely finished!

(Damn M.M winches are loud! in a closed garage:D)
and yes Adam…this is also a longer post than you like reading!:flipoff4:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Yeah I no likey to read lol!

hey when you get the cable install done let me know if when your winching and let go of the button if the winch locks in that position or if it starts spooling out.

MIne does for some reason but, I don't remember it doing that before.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I no likey to read lol!

hey when you get the cable install done let me know if when your winching and let go of the button if the winch locks in that position or if it starts spooling out.

MIne does for some reason but, I don't remember it doing that before.
Do you mean like you are pushing the "orange side" of the switch and then change directions by pushing the "black side"?

If so, I kinda noticed that as well last night just testing the completion. What I did was (since I had it in my hand) instead of pushing the button with my finger/thumb I pushed with a bit more force with a larger phillips head screwdriver and it responded immediately. I think you need a harder type of "lever" to activate the flexiable switch in the set up.

Made me think that the remote switch would be the best solution.

(trying to reduce amount of words for you!:D

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
If it's this big of a confusing problem, do a detailed write-up with pics, and post it in the Tech/FAQ.

Based on this thread - I would have probably made the same mistake.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have had my #12k milemarker for a couple of years and it has been great but a few minor setbacks. First is that the switch sucks. I broke mine in the first year. I went to radio shack found a switch I liked and rigged it into the handle. No problems with that anymore. The other problem was my fault. I winched up a 30% slope for about 100' with no traction at all and sideways. At one point I got a little too much spooled up on the one side and the cable hit the bar going across and cracked the housing. It still worked, but was loud. They sent me a new housing for free even though it was my own dumb ass that broke it.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not really that confusing. my problem was compounded with the facts that I drove all day to Cleveland to pick it up, decided to wire up the solenoid once I got home at 1am in the morning. Which also meant that I did not notice the terminal post for the negative battery cable was missing.

Going off a tired memory (much like now!)I thought I remembered my friends winch only having three terminal post so I called it a night. Then did the final assembly/installation two weeks later and never thought twice about checking the wiring for solenoid.

But one of the Indiana members provided me with a great on-line install manual. I am trying to get him to post it up on the FAQ/TECH page. If he doesn't, I will.

I just have to remember!:D

·
Registered
407 Posts
I wish you or someone else kindly would, Bear....

I'm signed on with Wiki but I'm kind of dense on using it and limited time to bone up. Hell, I'm still collecting and editing all available info on OME/'05+ Taco applications/installs for the Wiki. For anyone willing to lend a hand, here's the link to the MileMarker installation info:

MileMarker Electric Winch Downloads

Note that the install info generally sucks, but you can go to the parts exploded views, trace detailed part nos to the parts list, and wiring polarities are displayed. Backtrack the link to the MM hydraulic winches' and other products' downloads.

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance....I'll get you back on the come-around.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The solenoids need the same quality of grounding wire to the battery as the negative lead to the motor. Otherwise you will fry that little grounding wire that grounds through solenoid bracket housing.

The two wires that come out togather on the end go to the direction poles, the black wire that comes out the back goes to the negative lug on the side of the winch motor. Take the top off the solenoid housing and make sure it is attached to the grounding block, ie the place where both solenoids and the bracket ground are all attached.

I believe that the type of motor in most modern winches need to be grounded directly to the negative terminal on the battery, that should be your ground for the solenoids.
Lack of a good ground is where 90+ percent of the troubles began.

Wally

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The colored wires going out to the right go to the remote, the two at the top go to the end poles, and the only wire missing from the picture is the ground to the motor. NOTE the solenoid ground, you can do this using the grounding terminal on the winch motor so that only one wire goes to the negative lead on the batter. Hope this picture helps some.

http://www.superwinch.com/support/images/wiring/s2500-s3500-s4500.jpg

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I didn't get all that 'supplied' wire/cable with my MM. I didn't even get a good installation manual, which may have been a good thing because I didn't have too much trouble. Now I'm not electrically-inclined or anything. I went to my old welding shop and bought welding cable in red and black only. Now I disco'd my my ground on my battery before I started but when I made my ground connection for the winch and the alarm went off, I :aahg: :aahg: :aahg: :aahg: :aahg: ! It took me at least 5 minutes to realize that because my which-to bumper-to frame had still grounded my truck. I had purchased a cheap battery disconnect from Harbor Freight but my cable lugs were too small(don't try to drill copper lugs with your 13 amp drill). I think I lost a couple of years of my life!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts