TTORA Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had this same exact issue and as of today (8 mechanics and thousands of dollars later) the problem is finally solved. I brought my truck to a former porsche technician and right away he suggested that it was probably the coolant temp sensor that wasnt reading properly, thus causing me much grief when trying to start the engine hot. Previously other mechanics replaced the crank position sensor, the throttle sensor, all the wiring, fuel filter, fuel pump (cleaned out the fuel lines too) plugs, battery etc.... None of that helped at all. After replacing the coolant temp sensor, shes been starting fine every time. Fuuuuuuuckkkkkkkk yeahhhhh
I replaced the coolant temperature sensor and it didn’t fix my problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fixed my 96 Tacoma hard start problem! My secondary problem which lead to the cure was my pickup started having less acceleration and would not go past about 3500 rpm's. I started thinking about the problem and ruled out several things such as low fuel pressure and bad ignition. Checked both and they were good, so the next idea was it wasn't calculating proper air volume so the computer was not sending enough fuel on demand. I sprayed MAF sensor cleaner thru the MAF but that didn't fix it. So the next thing I did was take the MAF apart to inspect it. I found the two elements inside have a plastic sleeve over them and the tallest element sleeve had some black residue buildup on it. I sprayed it with cleaner but it wouldn't dissolve so I gently scraped it off of the plastic sleeve and made sure it was clean. Now my truck starts in hot weather within about 5 to 10 seconds! YIPPEE!
Hope this helps you, it seems to have fixed mine??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue but had anyone try doing a Mass Air Flow Sensor conversion to the 5-pin that is found in the 99-04 Tacoma?

41 - 43 of 43 Posts