TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filled up at Safeway at County Line and Quebec on Sunday with a tank of summer gas on my way to Breck. It netted me an extra 40 (~2mpg) or so miles on the tank, and the truck ran soooooo much stronger. I think the official dates are 10/15-2/15, but it varies a little from station to station.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Breathegood said:
Filled up at Safeway at County Line and Quebec on Sunday with a tank of summer gas on my way to Breck. It netted me an extra 40 (~2mpg) or so miles on the tank, and the truck ran soooooo much stronger. I think the official dates are 10/15-2/15, but it varies a little from station to station.
How did you know it was summer gas? Do they take down the sign that says "contains 10% ethanol?"

My MPG last week was great, too. Drove to Glenwood and back. 22.8 going out and 22.4 coming back. Used a lot of cruise control, though. I also avoided all the I-70 traffic by coming back through Breckenridge and Fairplay and up 285. Great drive!

I also have the shell on now, which might help some, since it's pretty form fitted to the cab.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Winter gas is "winterized" because it's oxygenated with extra ingredients. These extra ingredients minimize certain emissions while vehicles are in a cold (open loop) state. The preferred ingredient used to be MTBE (Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether) which has been banned due to health hazards. Now, alcohol (ethanol) is the preferred oxygenate. A ten percent level (E10) will soon be mandated in US gasoline. As far as I can tell, the winterized and summer gas are now the same thing.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
10% ethanol all the time baby...that's the only way to go...it means LESS of my money going to those countries that don't like us

·
Registered
878 Posts
From what I have seen Shell is the only station that isn't E10 year round now(at least thru out the octane range) ...since Phillips 66 is now Conoco Phillips I doubt they change away from ethanol totally any more.

The main difference between winter and summer blend is the addition of evaporation suppression additives and the removal of the anti gel/mosture additives... and the price(due to demand side economics!)

·
Registered
878 Posts
DriftinCO said:
10% ethanol all the time baby...that's the only way to go...it means LESS of my money going to those countries that don't like us
Your gas likely comes surplus from Texas and Kansas refineries in most cases that means Gulf of Mexico Oil...via the Denver refineries or is Canadian,and regional crude refined at the WY refineries...this part of the country doesn't consume much light sweet crude from the sandy nether region we shall not mention for reasons of importance! LOL!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
DriftinCO said:
Don't celebrate yet Brian, we still import more ethanol from South America than we produce here in the states, primarily Brazil.
Our farmers are catching up though, with help from an ethanol tariff that was extended last year, and with our increased ethanol production capabilities.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
spindleshanks said:
As far as I can tell, the winterized and summer gas are now the same thing.
Evidently you don't pay attention to your mileage or how your truck runs? Cities that are required to use oxygenated fuels are only required to do so from Oct. 15 to Feb. 15. My mileage dropped by ~2.5mpg in mid October, and came back up in mid February with no other modifications that would affect my mileage. That's all the convincing I need that they're still putting that corn crap in my petrol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Colorado State law passed last year requires E10 in all gas here in Colorado. But as Bluetaco pointed out there are winter addatives (to reduce moisture content) that decrease virtual gas milage because less of what is in you tank is used. I say virtual because your truck is using the same amount of gas as it always did, but in the winter you are getting less gas in your tank and more additives. This means that looking at your mileage vs. full tank is not a true read of your gas usage.

As to Oil companies not getting your money due to additives (ie E10), they are getting it and more. You still use the same amount of gas to run your truck as you did before E10 now you just go to the gas station more because your truck does not use 10% of what is in the tank. The gas companies then turn around and charge us 2-3 times the cost of adding and aquiring the additives.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Breathegood said:
Evidently you don't pay attention to your mileage or how your truck runs? Cities that are required to use oxygenated fuels are only required to do so from Oct. 15 to Feb. 15. My mileage dropped by ~2.5mpg in mid October, and came back up in mid February with no other modifications that would affect my mileage. That's all the convincing I need that they're still putting that corn crap in my petrol.

Let's not get hasty here dude. I drive 40K miles a year on a company car. It's a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. I've recorded every tank of gas since the first one in November of 2005. I'm now on number 122. I haven't noticed any such seasonal trend. I think you're just looking awful hard for those extra mpg. They may be a result of less warm up time in the driveway or any number of other factors. Or you may just be fooling yourself. My point above is that with ethanol in it, gasoline is oxygenated all year round.

·
Registered
878 Posts
spindleshanks said:
Let's not get hasty here dude. I drive 40K miles a year on a company car. It's a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. I've recorded every tank of gas since the first one in November of 2005. I'm now on number 122. I haven't noticed any such seasonal trend. I think you're just looking awful hard for those extra mpg. They may be a result of less warm up time in the driveway or any number of other factors. Or you may just be fooling yourself. My point above is that with ethanol in it, gasoline is oxygenated all year round.
The GM ECU is not as sensitive to the fuel changes as Toyota's. I observe on the first tank or two of each change over a drop in milage...and from talking to Tai Robinson http://www.h2go.info/ E85 is the hardest of the fuels he uses for the 3.4L to run on...the ECU adapts near instantly on our trucks and it takes the longest to get Ethanol to burn with in emissions parameters. GM ECU's adapt more slowly so the fuel changes are less transparent...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts