TTORA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I pulled the VIN on a junk yard Wagoneer (not the grand model) and this is what came up:

VIN: 1JCMT7541HT148521
1987 American Motors Wagoneer Ltd
4.0L L6 FI MPI

Since this jeep was in thick mud, I didn't want to get down and see if it had the vacuum assist garbadge, but I do know it has coils on the front axle.

Anybody know if this axle will work for a Taco SAS, and is this even a D44?

·
Registered
652 Posts
It is a 44, not sure about your other questions. Someone on here knows for sure. BTW, I watched your videos, they are sick! I liked the jet landing on the jeep too, that was funny.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tacominator said:
It is a 44, not sure about your other questions. Someone on here knows for sure. BTW, I watched your videos, they are sick! I liked the jet landing on the jeep too, that was funny.
Thanks for the reply. I actually have a '99 4Runner, which will be getting a SAS this summer. I'm going the CoilOver route to maintain a decent ride and good flex. The guy at the junk yard said I could pick it up for $100 bucks, not too bad a deal, if its the right axle.

Glad you like the vids, the one where I broke an axle on Chinaman's (Colorado) seems to be corrupted. You see a little bit, then it stops.....Need to fix that...

·
Registered
295 Posts
That would probably be a D30, not a D44. Since the Jeep had coils, it was an XJ model of the Wagoneer. Grand Wagoneer's had D44's, leaf spring fronts, and V8's.

$100 would have been a good deal, but that isn't the axle you need.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hunt4Steve said:
So, I assume, I should look for the Grand Wagoneers only...... and skip the standard wagoneers....
no, you can look for both, just make sure you find the right one.
you can do leaf and have a awesome ride and good flex, my truck drives better than stock plus is cheaper than coils.

Oz.

·
Registered
288 Posts
hey Steve i just picked this up today;

HP44 8 lug 66" wide or so. new 4.10 gears, lockright locker, new brakes, including rotors, pads and calipers. also new 760x u joints

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hunt4Steve said:
Nice axle Bruce. Where the heck is the video......
I thought with all this rain, I'd have more days off, but the opposite has occured and we've been putting in 10 to 16 hour days, 6 days a week. I actually got a few days free and have been trying to catch up on too many things.

If I don't get the time to edit the footage, I may just burn it all to disc and just send it all to you... it's only 19GB's

The axle has been completely rebuilt and originally was up for sale on PBB for $1500 but sold for $500, the guy who bought it didn't use it so he put it up for sale for $400 obo. I'll use it for my buggy project, eventually.....

·
Registered
288 Posts
I actually like my IFS the way it is, even if I did a SAS it still won't be able to climb Rocker Knocker, it's too top heavy to go up at the proper angle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts