1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Blue Sea BatteryLink ACR

Mfg: http://bluesea.com/category/2/products/7600

Manual https://resources.myeporia.com/company_57/6330.pdf

This was recommended by a couple of guys I’ve met who have experience with dual battery set ups in boat applications. I take what boaters say seriously since if your truck won’t start you can at least walk home.

At first I was concerned that at 60A capacity it would not work with a 130A alternator but these guys said “BS, its done all the time in boats”. Not convinced, I called Blue Sea: Their technical support rep said that the only time the 60A capacity limit would be an issue with a 130A alternator, is when the battery is drained down so much that it draws more than 60A from the alternator. In that case, the ACR would restrict current to just a few amps, slowly charging the battery until the current was less than 60A. Obviously you can not run accessories when this is all happening.

I’ve spent some time with Google, and have only found one mention of this for off road usage and it was not discussed.

Pros:
1) Simple installation
2) Works with internal voltage sensing alternators
3) Has starter bypass function
4) costs less than $100
5) No .7V drop as with silicone diode isolators
6) Small size

Cons:
1) 60A capacity
2) Can’t mount to conductive surface.
3) Not field tested for off road use.
4) Can't be used with high Amp stuff like winches (but neither can most isolators)

·
Registered
870 Posts
check out hellroaring technologies

·
Registered
801 Posts
I've never heard of that one but the 60A limitation would worry me. For about the same price you can get the complete kit with wires from 12voltguy.com.

·
Registered
338 Posts
that isolator seems iffy. Try smithae.com they have 130 amp isolators for under $100 and can mount to any surface. I run it on may dual set up. There is a post on it if you search for dual batteries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts