TTORA Forum banner

How much would you pay for a diesel engine?

• I don't want a diesel

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • $3000

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • $4000

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • $6000

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
236 Posts
I voted $3k, but it depends. The current upcharge on Ford's diesel is over $8k and I see a ton of those around here. Obviously that isn't an apples to apples comparison, but whatev.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I voted $3k, but it depends. The current upcharge on Ford's diesel is over $8k and I see a ton of those around here. Obviously that isn't an apples to apples comparison, but whatev.
Interesting. Sweers states that the full size trucks are a different ball game and people are willing to pay more for diesels in them. I recall reading the focus groups don't want to pay more for a diesel in something with a 6 foot bed.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
They would have a far easier time selling a diesel tundra than tacoma. The reality is we are a small group that would actually have a use for it in a truck this size, and i would say their market research is right. I would only get a diesel if they made the tacoma smaller like the 1st gens and not some bloated mess that it has morphed into.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I definitely would. Your fuel economy would be much better with a diesel (although the cost of fuel is more for diesel to make up for it) and the engine would last longer, although they really should beef up the frame so that the overall truck lasts longer like the original Toyota Pickups.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Considering my 7400lb Dodge gets THE SAME MILEAGE, OR BETTER than my Tacoma does....... I'd really like a little diesel.

Having driven a Hilux diesel out of country for a little bit- I want one.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I picked $3000 but don't know if that's a realistic number. Does anyone know the price of a diesel HiLux or maybe Toyota crate engine prices for comparison? There'd be some math involved yo figure the foreign money exchange rates, Australia to U.S. for example. Plus the EPA would come up with some emissions crap.

it could be done if Toyota wanted to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts