TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is a 2008 Tacoma DC Off Road V6. The truck came with 265/70/16s to which I upsized to the 265/75/16 after the first set of tires. I've also always bought E load range tires to which I just discovered that the 10 ply tire is difficult to balance and too heavy for a midsized truck. My truck has ridden like [email protected]#$ for some time now. What do you guy's think is more of a factor for the harsh ride, the 10 ply tire which is hard to balance or the upsizing of the tire size from the stock tire. I was told by Discount Tire that a C load range tire or 6 ply is plenty for my truck because I don't do much towing/hauling or off roading anymore and it will be much easier to balance. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Something simple to check, make sure the tires aren't above 32-35psi per tire. Anything more in those tires on that truck and it will ride very stiff.

Load range E is a very heavy tire for the Tacoma. Compared to the tire your truck came with, you did add a lot of weight to with the new tires. I have worked on Tacomas that people did purchase load range E tires, and they are a pain in the ass to balance. It can be done, but you have to have a good tire and someone willing to do the work.

I would agree that with your next set of tires you should look into a lower load range. However, I'm not aware of any tire manufactures that make a load range C tire for a 16" rim. BFG is coming out with their new KO2 tire design, and so far they are only offering one tire size that is a load range C tire. Granted, the higher load range tires are supposed to be more durable/stronger, but with the additional durability/strength, you get a heaver tire. (I still want load range C.)

Another thing to consider. Quality of the manufacture. You never stated which tire brand you have or even the tire you are running, and not saying they are bad tires. But you will notice a difference with tires that are higher quality. I've seen what cheap tires can do, and it scares me that some manufactures are allowed to sell them. Think about this, you have maybe just over 1 sq foot of contact with the ground. for this simple fact, I am more than willing to drop $700-$1,000 on new tires for my vehicles. I know that may not be feasible to everyone out there, but if you do a lot of driving, its worth it in the long run. It only takes one bad tire in one bad situation to mess up you or your vehicle.

Stepping off my soap box now.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input. BFG AT KO is what I've always put on my trucks. Has always been a good tire for me but I'm definitely going with C load range from now on.

·
Registered
717 Posts
KO is a great tire, I currently have 4 sitting on my truck right now. With the lower load range E, some states don't consider the tire a "snow" or "winter traction" tire. Meaning that even though you have a great off-road tire, you still have to chain up. There is better siping with the lower load ranges. Not only does that assist with on-road traction, but it also means that you can potentially get better tire life out of the tire.

The most common load range C tire for the BFG is the 15" rim. Which, by today's standards is considered a "small" rim size. I haven't sold tires for years, but it seems to me that the manufactures are trying to size out the 15" rim.

Guess if I do want the new KO2, looks like I'll be doing a Tundra break upgrade too!!! Lol.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive had 5 sets of BFG AT KO over the life span of 2 trucks so far. Planning on new tires after winter. Would like to get something different but as I said these tires have never failed me. My truck came with the with the Rugged trails and I've never seen a set of tires wear so quickly. 14K miles and they were shot. Not a good tire at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts