TTORA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a 1997 taco for 750.00. The taco has been sitting in storage for 2 years ( no hood or fenders ) covered by a tarp. Is there any suggestions or precautions before stating it. This is my first toyota so any or basic knowledge is appreciated.

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
Change the engine oil and filter, or at least be sure it has oil.

Change the fuel filter and make sure it has fresh gasoline.

Make sure it has coolant, power steering fluid, belts that will survive some short term running.

Check the spark plugs, make sure they're in (reasonably) good condition and snug (to spec)....or you could just try to start it and see what happens, you have to draw the line somewhere and where, you decide.

Luck.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
buy some asprin...sounds like a project!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would get as much of the old gas out of the tank as you can. Put in some fresh gas, change the oil, check coolant and all other fluids in the engine compartment. Battery is probaly dead, charge it or get a new one.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
What kind of wreck was it? If a rollover, pull all the plugs before cranking it over, in case there is oil on top of the pistons. Look for wiring damage before hooking up a battery (this can be from the crash or rodents).

·
Registered
680 Posts
Make sure the frame ain't too rotted before you start. I junked my 97 about a year ago. They can rust badly from the inside out in the boxed sections and all over badly back by the leafs... Hopefully it's not from the rust belt..

-Fear

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The previous owner ate the back end of a superduty. I plan on staightening the front at a frame shop but, they need it somewhat running to get it on their rack. The taco already has the radiator support removed and I have all parts for the front end . The frame shop will pull it back to specs and tack on the radiator support (with fenders and hood aligned).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts