TTORA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
{2000 excab taco with 2.7 and an auto} ran off the road and hit a parked car headon a while ago. Took my truck to the frame shop the get the frame straighted back out. now that i got the truck back, my key doesn't go pass acc to let the key come out. With the battery disconnected it comes out of course. First thing i thought was the tranny shifting not alining up right but i spent a whole day eliminating that prob. there was some welding done at the shop but don't think that it got hot enough to do any harm to any electrical, but who knows. Anyone got any clues? some kinda relay fuse or anything.{BTW the key worked just fine i believe when i first took it to the frame shop

·
Registered
597 Posts
There should be a small hole underneath where the ignition is, if you get a small probe or really small screwdriver, you can stick it up there and work the key back and forth. This is an access hole to free a stuck key such as yours is. You have to get underneath the steering wheel with a flashlight and look up at it to see it. I know this is the case for '98 tacomas, don't know if they changed it on any other years. If anyone else has a different year, check on it and let him know.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Have you tried relieving the tension on the steering wheel? The lock on the wheel can hold the key in if there's stress/tension on the steering system...

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
swanky868 said:
There should be a small hole underneath where the ignition is, if you get a small probe or really small screwdriver, you can stick it up there and work the key back and forth. This is an access hole to free a stuck key such as yours is. You have to get underneath the steering wheel with a flashlight and look up at it to see it. I know this is the case for '98 tacomas, don't know if they changed it on any other years. If anyone else has a different year, check on it and let him know.
i can get it out no prob by un hooking the battery i just have to make it stop getting my key stuck everytime i cut the truck off.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr Tacomi said:
Have you tried relieving the tension on the steering wheel? The lock on the wheel can hold the key in if there's stress/tension on the steering system...

Good luck!
yeah i forgot to mention the steeings not catching it i can turn full left to right no prob and key still dont come out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts